Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ALWAYS IN A RUSH
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i had my bike for 3 years without a tune up.should i get one done?????????
also my bike is a cannondale rush 400,i wanted to know what are the lightest tires out there available,i would like to make the bike much lighter by getting lighter wheels and components,any feedback would be appreciated ,thanx

·
Recovering Retrogrouch
34 Posts
If you ride the bike regularly, at least once a week, you are definitely overdue for a tune up. You might also want to ask the bike shop to measure your chain for stretch, if it gets too worn it will cause you to have to replace your chainrings and cassette as well.

Remember that generally the lighter you go on tires and wheels the less flat resistant your tires are and less bombproof your wheels will be. Especially if you weigh over about 175 lbs or so. Those 5'7" 145 lb "stick figure" racer types can get by with much lighter wheelsets than say a guy who is 6 ft + and looks more like a linebacker.

·
ALWAYS IN A RUSH
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@funetical.......no issues,i just want to take care and keep good maintenance.

@dean..........are hybrid stronger than mtb tires? also its a mudd flap behind the saddle.

@noneed429r.........i guess i do have to get a tune up,because i have been riding it somewhat............cassette and bombproff please explain these terms i do not understand this bike lingo sorry.hopefully i will get up to speed now that i joined this bike forum which is my first:D.am 5/8 190lbs so maybe i need a stronger shock?i was also thinking mabe getting a lefty for the front tire,maybe it will make the bike lighter.

thank you all for your feedback.........................cheers

·
ALWAYS IN A RUSH
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
these bikes in new condition are still worth about 900.mines about 600.i think a lefty is about 200.i guess i will save my money on the lefty,but i do want to get lighter tires and rims.

·
Recovering Retrogrouch
34 Posts
"Bombproof" means strong and durable for harder riding. "Cassette" is the term for the rear sprocket cluster on your bike.

P.S. If you are 190 pounds, don't go for the lightest wheels. You will most likely bend them. It is far more cost and performance effective to shed the extra weight from your midsection:p

Generally all the cross country mountainbike racers who ride really light wheels are usually well below 165 lbs and they know how to pick the smoothest line through a trail.

And most of the heavier "Clydesdales"(larger/ chubbier riders) and Freeride thrashers (people who take jumps, dropoffs, or do alot of rough trail riding are on thicker heavier rims.

Don't get caught up in the "lighter is always better " kind of thinking. Lighter weight always comes at a cost. Both in terms of money AND oftentimes durability.
It is much better to work on your skills and fitness level than to obsess over a few grams of weight. GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome) is a horrible disease to get !
Your Cannondale Rush is a pretty decent and fairly light bike with perfectly serviceable wheels on it already.

Ride on!

·
ALWAYS IN A RUSH
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx noneed,will do,am trying to lose some pounds,i usto be 130,so i have 60lbs to go.i will stick to what i have and get it tuned up...cheers

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
What is a lefty?
Its that weird looking mono fork/shock set up on some Cannondales.

Well for weight, start with ditching your fenders....don't be afraid of the mud:D

Carbon Fiber could be your friend for you bikes diet......it will also help you bank account lose some weight too.

For training I ride with a pack with water and a bunch of tools. When I drop that pack and ride packless, wow the bike feels light as all get up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts