Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
I try and keep my blood pressure down :) 3 miles of tonight's ride were on a very busy road and I was very happy with the room people gave me.
I'm very lucky. We can ride miles with out any real worry :D

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I've only had a few incidences that made me wonder what the heck people were or were not thinking but feel pretty safe most of the time. People will do what they are gonna do, not much you can do about that.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
A wise man once said "Anger hurts most those who feel it".

For what it's worth, I'm sure we've all encountered other cyclists that we felt should not be on the road. No different than motorists.

As I was loading my groceries into the saddlebags of my Harley this evening, the guy in the minivan next to me pushed his cart up into the planter at the end of the parking lot. I said to him "You know, there's a place you can put that cart just a few cars down". He looked at me like I was from another planet. There is no shortage of selfish a-holes in this world.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hack, I didn't know you did your grocery shopping in Toledo :p

·
717 Posts
forget facebook and go ride your bike!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I only blacked out names and pictures. I wouldn't want somebody posting my name and picture online without permission.
If you want to shame whom ever posted that on Facebook then I would not black out the name and faces. It kind of defeats the purpose of what you're trying to do. Bring attention to the matter and let others know who is doing this.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Two things:

1. I have seen the same type of posts down here in Mississippi, so it must be somewhat of a universal thing;
2. This weekend a 17 year old was hit on a neighborhood street while riding his bicycle. He was knocked 80 feet by the impact. His funeral is tomorrow.

Sad, sad, sad.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you want to shame whom ever posted that on Facebook then I would not black out the name and faces. It kind of defeats the purpose of what you're trying to do. Bring attention to the matter and let others know who is doing this.
I'm not trying to call individual people out on the internet, I'm just letting everyone know that people with that mindset do exist.

Two things:

1. I have seen the same type of posts down here in Mississippi, so it must be somewhat of a universal thing;
2. This weekend a 17 year old was hit on a neighborhood street while riding his bicycle. He was knocked 80 feet by the impact. His funeral is tomorrow.

Sad, sad, sad.
There was a teenager hit on his bike in Indy a few weeks ago by a drunk driver. I guess they both ran a 4 way stop, so who's to blame?? Sad nevertheless.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Part of the problem is some people on bikes gives cyclists a bad name. They'll go from the sidewalk to jumping the curb to go on the road, ride salmon, roll through stops etc. Of course some drivers just think we go too slow. I have a friend that thinks its too slow if a biker is going 25-30 on a downhill. To a non biker, it's counterintuitive that sidewalk riding is more dangerous, if not illegal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Part of the problem is some people on bikes gives cyclists a bad name. They'll go from the sidewalk to jumping the curb to go on the road, ride salmon, roll through stops etc. Of course some drivers just think we go too slow. I have a friend that thinks its too slow if a biker is going 25-30 on a downhill. To a non biker, it's counterintuitive that sidewalk riding is more dangerous, if not illegal.
+1!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm not trying to call individual people out on the internet, I'm just letting everyone know that people with that mindset do exist.

There was a teenager hit on his bike in Indy a few weeks ago by a drunk driver. I guess they both ran a 4 way stop, so who's to blame?? Sad nevertheless.
If you're going to post something like this on the internet it should be call the person out. Otherwise what is the point? With this type of situation it is all or nothing.

The drunk driver is at fault. It can very likely be argued if he was not drunk he would have seen the teenager and avoided colliding with him. This makes the drunk driver at fault. NOT the kid on his bike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That pretty much describes my style of riding. That's why I stay off of the main roads. Just backroads, sidewalks & bike trails. Ohio has hundreds of miles of bike trails.
I don't even own a road bike. Just a touring bike with 32mm tires.
heck, it's even illegal to ride my bike on the sidewalks in my hometown of Wilmington. But in Columbus they route the bike trail down the sidewalks. Right past the State House! Nice ride!

Wilmington did extend the sidewalk to connect with their 'lil 3 mile multiple-use-path across town. I use it to get across town. Much better than traffic! I'm alergic to traffic and have the "road rash" to prove it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts