Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you ride out in the snow? What do you do to your bike if anything or have a special bike for the winter fun? What kind of clothes/winter gear do you wear, and how far do you go? I am working on building my winter bike I think now. Lets see some pics

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Well I hate riding in weather below 45 so I won't be riding outside instead I'll go to the trainer...boring as hell. I usually start out doing alright on the trainer and may ride it for about 2 hours, but as winter progresses the time spent starts to drop due to shear boredom, so that by the time comes around to get outside I may be down to 20 minutes!!

I usually spend the time getting my bikes ready for the spring. My other bike related project is that I need to build a bike rack for the stable in the basement so I will do that with plastic piping. No more leaning the bikes against a wall.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tried riding my MTB in the snow, but after falling over a few times, I gave up. Need studded tires for that.

I can ride in cold weather down to the freezing mark, just haven't really done it much. Layering works.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Folks,

I rode in the snow a bunch last winter and I will try to again this winter. I bought a Haro Reserve 1.1 to ride this winter.

The Reserve 1.1 is a single speed, rigid fork 26'' version of a BMX. It weighs in at about 30#. So far, I've changed to a larger rear cog, added a front disc brake, installed a longer seat post and a friendlier seat, and added a stem riser. I am really enjoying it, It's a bunch of fun to play on. When the snow comes, I may drop the gearing a bit more.

Last winter there was thread on building your own studded tires, I may try my hand at building one or two.

I'm still learning about bicycle clothing. Carhart bibs won't work for me on the Haro. Last year I bought some UnderArmour winter underwear and lined sweat pants. The combination worked worked well for me and was very flexible at the knees and hips. I stopped riding last year when the wind chill on my face became uncomfortable. I was riding slower to avoid the wind chill, fogged glasses are a pain.

BobH.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I ride occasionally in the snow, but if there's white stuff on the ground, I'd rather be on the slopes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll ride my mountain bike to the gym and in the woods most of the winter. The fabrics now do an incrediable job. I bought a Gore jacket last year, and was comfortable at 20 degrees. Feet got cold, but I can't really blame the jacket for that!

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Last time I rode with snow on the ground think I was maybe at best around 12 or so haven't done that in ages. Though riding in the cold crisp air I am really starting to dig after last year. Best thing layers lots of them and helps to have something to stuff said layers in when you start to peel them off hell found out ya almost sweat as much if not more in the winter but sure is fun. Oh yeah other good thing to have is eye protection that wind hurts blastin your eyes. I don't have a dedicated winter bike this year will only ride when the roads have no snow or ice on them maybe next winter might build off a cheapo mountain bike

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Well I rode some in the snow last year, I liked it much better than being on the trainer. I used a Huffy I pulled from the trash, I put a chain on so as to make it a single speed and took off the shifters and derailers, I had a lot of fun with it last year and it is ready for this winter well maybe some studs for this year. I allso use it to ride when the roads are covered with salt. Poor bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Too many steep hills here and too many weeks of sub-zero temps. Ice build-up on the roadways and danger from sliding/skidding cars, plows, serious ice patches, frostbite, lung-ailments from too much deep-breathing of sub-zero air........ I just have to content myself with the stupid stationary in front of the tube and imagine warmer weather coming. WNY in winter is no place for a bike.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I don't know what RTR means, but it is a rat ride and I like it that way. Some one had posted photos of one thay fixed up as a single speed and painted white, realy looked good to me, wish thay would post it agan. By the way people around here think I am crazy ride in the snow but I am just old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts