Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been training all summer really hard to do this. It looks like the temperature is going to be around 103 (and thats in the shade). I hope the heat does not get the best of me and cause me to sag out but I have been training in heat all summer and it has been brutally hot here. Still it is showtime and time for me to walk the walk. My goal is to just finish and I will update this next week on what happened. Also any suggestions are welcome and although I have read so much on how to handle this kind of ride there still maybe something I need to hear again or something important I may have not read, heard or overlooked so please chime in with suggestions.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
A book Nutrition for peak Performance by Bicycling magazine's seams to have a lot of good info.

·
Two skinny J's
21,514 Posts
I wish you well fox!! Hope you make the whole ride! I would be worrying about cramping in that heat and between water and gatorade( or whatever) I would have to use something else like Endurolytes - Electrolyte Replacement Supplement | Hammer Nutrition. Although at this point if you had never tried them I wouldn't start now :) I have been watching the weather since I will be in Plano/Dallas this week...dreading the heat but looking forward to less humidity.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just carry lots of water and stop at the water stations. Don't just drink it. Pour some on your head and core. Keeping the head cool is vital. Heat exhaustion is no fun. IF you have to drop out, that is far far better than pressing it and ending up in the medical tent. No shame at all if you body tells you to stop. Listen to what it tells you. Depending on where you trained, there is heat and there is Texas heat. It has only been under 100 for 2 days since July 2 I think. We think its cooled off when its only 103. Much of the time this summer its been closer to 110 and thats the official readings in the shade.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm in Houston and the heat index here has been over 102 for I don't know how long. I complete agree with staying hydrated but the key for me is to drink BEFORE I get thirsty. Drink even if you don't think you need to. I also use an electrolyte tablet (Nuun, Camelbak, etc) as a replacement and flavoring but don't expect that to replace everything you've lost. Remember your diet and eating as well. Living in the city I stop whenever I need to and get ice and so far (in this heat) I have not been refused. Gas stations, fast food places, i.e. Subway, Boston Market, will let you have ice but I also make a point of saying I will pay for it beforehand. Never had to pay either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been training in Fort Worth all summer and it has been extremely hot. Weather.com is showing 108 degrees for the high on Saturday. They are giving the 100 milers a chance to leave at 6:15 and I am going to be all over that. I will be taking along some biofreeze and a frog togg and a bandana and towel to put in water and place around my neck and head. I will probably stop twice barring incident the first 60 miles and hope to be at hells gate by 9:45. From there though I may take advantage of each rest stop after that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Xela for that bit of information. I will definetly go by it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,514 Posts
After landing in DFW yesterday all I can say is good luck.

At least I'm not a sweat ball in 30 seconds :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,514 Posts
Was in the Richardson Bike Mart today and saw this :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
First I would like to take time and thank those for giving me advise. This was my first century and wow was it a doocy. although they had a early start time it was still a mass start with everyone leaving at once. It took at fifteen minutes to reach the starting line. we hadn't gone five miles when it was daylight. I can tell you this. They closed Hell's Gate at 11:00 and while I was at the 85 mile marker they black flagged the race because it 109 degrees. At the 90 mile mark they said it was 112. It was miserable and believe me it tested the very depths of my soul out there. When I crossed the finish line and on the way back home it was nice to know my bike did not come back on a sag wagon. But I would like to say I ain't never doing that ride in that kind of heat again. the volunteers at the rest stops really did a wonderful job and kept me alive out there. I can say this I need to go back and do volunteer work myself to give back to those who helped me out tremendously. The Officialls said this was the hottest one ever and the first time it had to be black flagged. I picked a great time to do for the first time huh?

·
Two skinny J's
21,514 Posts
Something to remember for sure! That's saying something when they flag a race called Hotter than Hell for heat :D I'm not sure how I would fair in that kind of heat for a 100 miles! I know my abbreviated trip to the Dallas area was incredibly hot but did appreciate the lack of humidity.

Glad you finished and survived!

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Well a big congrats ;) :D :thumbsup: I think every one here knew you could do it :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts