It's that time of year

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by rola643, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Do the intervals you whimp!

20.0%
  2. No, you better do base miles first...

40.0%
  3. Hey! Why be nornal combine them and be done with it.

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Do you use intervals this time of year or are you doing base mileage rides? I "think" I have done barely enough riding over the winter to be able to work on some intervals. I've never purposely done them but some of our little climbs end up that way. I tried to do some trainer riding this winter but I just could not force myself to do it. I have a few of the Sufferfest training videos but even that wasn't enough to keep me motivated. I like to ride outside...when it's warm.

So is it base miles time or interval time? Can I go ahead and combine them both this time of year? Most articles ( like the ones below) I have read say 1k before intervals and I'm only at 280...yea I know I'm a little behind.

High-intensity Intervals: Hurts so Good | Active.com

or

How Much Base Mileage Do You Need Before Interval Training? | Active.com

If you do the pole your choice<s> will be public

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm a commuter and I ride for one real purpose, so I'm were I need to be.

In all honesty, I would pace myself, but I took the funny option, I always do.

3. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Intervals???

The years that I have started out with good base mile training have been the years that I did well in the Fall. After a month of base training I can start doing killer intervals and like I said, in the Fall the Centuries become a lot of fun. Hills are attacked with confidence and sustained power when my base miles come first. Patience to put on those miles before intervals is the hardest part.
    [​IMG]
    I guess I'm going to need a new bike.

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I would get my base miles worked up.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

What are you doing Rola?

6. rola643

Really, nothing special. My goal is to be able to ride and avg 20 mph. It always amazes me after what feels like a good ride and just not able to make that magic number. My ride Saturday was close, 19.1 mph avg on a fairly short 33 mile ride with only 1300ish ft of elevation gain. I have ridden a little bit with some guys and gals that crit race and they just kill me! When they get up and go around 28-30 mph I can only hang for so long anf then only on a nice flat with no headwinds :D Of course, generally speaking, most are 1/2 my age and ridden for many years. Like I have said before, this will be my 3rd year of riding and I feel I have made huge improvements. I have NO desire to race. It is really a way to keep fit for me, nothing more, nothing less. I will admit that it can get a bit competitive when Andy and I ride. Flat out drag races and the hill climbs are when that tends to rear it's ugly head.

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I'm more of an intervals guy, but only because I keep thinking I might get back into BMX racing some day.

8. rola643

9. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

since i ride the same amount all year round..... it does not apply to me much. however, i think starting out with base miles is a good angle to take. my dad does that and it works well for him.
    sedona has nice weather and this winter i road on average 220 miles a week. i'm thinking ride everywhere....

10. Ronco007

Ronco007 Junior Member

I have to add up the base miles ..this winter was tough...plus new bike, new position, pedaling is very different....I really have a lot to learn...so easy 20 days this week, 30 next, ect. then once it is a bit warmer go and visit my father in North Jersey, round trip 75 with lots of good hills to climb. but for now slow first and get use to the bike. 20 miles in the park today, last Thursday 20 miles on the Brooklyn streets...trucks, cars, lots of big potholes.