It's your data, own it!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by rola643, Feb 2, 2020.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I was trying to help a friend to try and determine whether an issue she was having was a Zwift/ANT/FEC issue or maybe an internet/WiFi/ISP connectivity issue today, which by the way here's a great link should you ever want to try and determine and isolate where the issue may be coming from:https://zwiftalizer.com/ in regards to connectivity with your network devices/network and Zwift

Anyway that spawned a whole new though on my tiny lil o brain about where data was and how it's used and who owns it once you upload it etc.

So....today I have done a bulk download of every Strava ride I have recorded should something happen, I'll have that data locally.

It was 353 MB which in today's data world is pretty small really. There is TONS of data included tho.

Check out just some of what was sent in this zipped package:
    Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 2.33.19 PM.png

All the pictures from all the rides:

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 2.35.05 PM.png
    And of course all the ride data
    Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 2.40.07 PM.png
    Comprehensive view of the packaged data
    Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 2.46.43 PM.png

Hazy, John_V and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  2. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

That’s pretty sweet that you can get it all.

John_V and rola643 like this.

3. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

I should do that too.

John_V and rola643 like this.
  4. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

I never kept track of my ride data until I got my road bike. In 2011, not having a GPS computer, I started keeping track of my ride stats on an Excel spreadsheet. In late 2012, I got my first iPhone and started using Cyclemeter to record my rides. I also got an account with Endomondo to have a place to store the GPS tracks. Since I couldn’t upload directly to Endomondo from the app, I had to email myself a link to the ride and upload it manually. I’ve been doing that ever since.

On my file server, I have every GPX/TCX file of every ride I’ve done. They’re in a zip file, by month, and in a folder, by year. Every ride is still in Excel and also in Cyclemeter. What I like about Cyclemeter is that all the data is kept in a local database, on my phone, so I don’t need a wifi connection or cellular to view my stats. Plus, it has better stat information and more ways of viewing it than any site out there. Sending a ride from my Bolt to Cyclemeter is as easy as 1, 2, 3. Select the ride (in the companion app), select to share it, and select the Cyclemeter icon. It’s done. I know! It’s sort of OCD; but hey.

rola643 likes this.
  5. lectrichead

lectrichead Well-Known Member

Because of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - a 2018 EU regulation on data protection and privacy - most websites are trying to comply, especially if they aggregate personal data in some way, where ever the website is based from.

I try to comply with my personal sites as well as my customer's but here in the US there's a lot less thought put into it sometimes.

Anyway, I did not know that Strava has such an expansive export.

Kind of a data nut here.

I dump everything in detail out of Garmin once a year (which dumps the GPX files) using their data request page - https://www.garmin.com/en-US/account/datamanagement/exportdata/

But I may have to switch to Strava.

For day-to-day everything logged into Garmin goes to fitnesssyncer.com where it periodically automatically dumps the day's activities from Garmin to a Google Drive folder, and a Google App Script (very complicated - https://developers.google.com/apps-script/guides/import-export) processes the CSV file and imports certain data into a Google Sheets doc, which is set to be available online and offline on all of my devices. Took me a long time to get that script correctly working.

In the Google Sheets spreadsheet there are the yearly, monthly, weekly, daily, morning/mid-day/evening totals, plus a simple diary, some screens for manual entering of heart rate, VO2 Max, and a separate data page for each bike, the bike trainer, the kayak, and swimming totals pulled in from that day as they are imported.

It generally works correctly for the totals on the sub-pages as the macro can process the file for the Garmin designations like "Road Biking", "Indoor Cycling", etc and I can subsequently have it put the data in the sub-page for the correct bike, open water and pool and in-place swim spa swimming are added together but with sub-totals for each category, but I have to manually enter things like running shoe mileage as I have rotated pairs and of course making note of new chains, wheels, repairs, etc on each bike at the particular mileage it was done at.

Modern tech and the EU data protection regulation is perfect for data crunching nuts like me.

rola643 likes this.