Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...that I'll never be a competitive cyclist. I was watching the tour the other day and I saw a profile of one of the riders. This guy was 5'10" and 137 lbs... I'm 2 inches taller and I have him by almost 100 lbs. Even if I were to get to my "ideal" weight of 175-180 lbs I wouldn't be anywhere close to these guys.

I do have a dream of getting into the US Cycling program and earning a license of some sort but I realize I will never be close enough to pro... At least I still enjoy it and have fun, and that's what matters most.

·
889 Posts
...that I'll never be a competitive cyclist. I was watching the tour the other day and I saw a profile of one of the riders. This guy was 5'10" and 137 lbs... I'm 2 inches taller and I have him by almost 100 lbs. Even if I were to get to my "ideal" weight of 175-180 lbs I wouldn't be anywhere close to these guys.

I do have a dream of getting into the US Cycling program and earning a license of some sort but I realize I will never be close enough to pro... At least I still enjoy it and have fun, and that's what matters most.
I'm only 5' 7" and weigh 165lbs. I'm about 20-30lbs over my "ideal" cycling weight as well but I can bench press and chin up the eff out of those guys and carry 70lbs of gear into combat so it's an even trade off I guess! ;)

As long as you enjoy riding, that's all that really matters anyways. At least for me...

·
Two skinny J's
21,351 Posts
I'm only 5' 7" and weigh 165lbs. I'm about 20-30lbs over my "ideal" cycling weight as well but I can bench press and chin up the eff out of those guys and carry 70lbs of gear into combat so it's an even trade off I guess! ;)

As long as you enjoy riding, that's all that really matters anyways. At least for me...
SO TRUE zero!!! I 'll say it again, and yes I saw it somewhere else, most of those guys don't look like they could bench press a cheeseburger!

Even the fast local guys look unhealthy and anemic which I've found odd cuz they can ride the hell out of a bike!

All to say; be happy with what you can do on a bike and strive to be better it what you lack!

·
889 Posts
SO TRUE zero!!! I 'll say it again, and yes I saw it somewhere else, most of those guys don't look like they could bench press a cheeseburger!

Even the fast local guys look unhealthy and anemic which I've found odd cuz they can ride the hell out of a bike!

All to say; be happy with what you can do on a bike and strive to be better it what you lack!
And riding a bike well doesn't mean you can run either. I remember back in 92-93 I was at a level where I almost tried out for the Olympic team but I couldn't run for sh*t. Best to be an all rounder and just enjoy being active. :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,351 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts

Never say never. There is a class of competitors out there called Masters. Don't give up. I"m sure there are some local races in your area that require a US Cycling license. Look it up. http://www.usacycling.org/ You can always start at the local level and go from there. You may never make it to the US squad but at least you are satisfying you competitive desire to race.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's funny, all this talk about racing and I had a dream that I was in a race last night. I beat the pants off everyone by over 10 minutes... :cool:

·
Registered
748 Posts
I am a MASTER. Have a big race in a couple days.
I am 57 yeas old.
I am 5'10" and 143 lbs right now, my race weight.
I can not compete with the TDF folks, don't even try.
I DO compete well with folks my age, though. I am an age grouper.
This is my 1st bike race, but I have a background in triathlons and duathlons and distance running.

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
comparing oneself to "world class" athletes isn't fair...

Comparing oneself to world class athletes in any discipline or sport just isn't fair... in trials most of the "world class" riders are skinny guys with lots of power. I've got 20-40 lbs over most of them and with my body type if I ever get that light it won't be a good thing.

But who cares? I've got an awesome wife and kids, a full time job, and still manage to ride at a pretty high level. Just do the best with what you've got, and have fun doing it. IMHO it's fair better to be reasonably healthy and have fun riding than obsessively chase some impossible ideal.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I am 5'9' and 231# 67 1/2 years old and slow I am so slow after rideing with Ben he said ;), I have never seen any one ride that slow with out falling over :eek:. I just like being on the bike :D but I wish I started rideing again earlyer in life, I would have liked to go fast. by the way I raced bikes when I was a kid we had a dirt flat track near by that was 55 years ago. I was allways looking for that right # teeth rear sprocket :rolleyes:.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts