Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, let's see...I get diagnosed with depression this past fall....have to endure the winter from Hell..and now I have a foot infection (I am a diabetic) so I am under dr's orders to stay completely off of my feet until further notice. This is not the time of year that i want to be cooped up inside off of my feet, with the nice weather arriving. The worst part is that I am registered for The Enbridge Ride To Conquer Cancer in June and I may not be able to do it, unless my foot is completely healed.

I guess all I can say now is ^^@^#@#!!.

Rats,

Brian J.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Take care of that foot. My wife has Type 1, and hasn't had any foot problems, but we've got more than $60k into her eyes.

Hopefully, you'll be ready to rock and roll by June. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Hope all works out for you Brian. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Hang strong Brian! That foot will be healed in no time and you will be back out riding. :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,189 Posts
Follow the Docs orders and you'll be ready to kick it in June!

·
Retired
2,193 Posts
In the meantime, hopefully you'll be able to stay cardio-active while staying off the feet as much as possible under Dr's orders. Hopefully the doc has a quick fix up his sleeve. Best of Luck!! Stay UP! :D

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I went to the care centre last night to have the wound dressing changed and was told that the wound has dried up (this is a good thing) and that the odor has gone, so likely, has the infection (which is a really good thing). Having said that, the drs still want me off of my foot until the wound closes. The pressure from standing and walking keeps the wound open and causes discharge. I have been trying to stay diligent and it has been tough, so the good news was nice. As an aside, the health care system here in Canada rates high marks thus far. (have not yet done ant riding outdoors and am getting antsy. Whatever fitness I built up on the trainer this winter is gone and I will have to build a base all over again. THAT, I hate!

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have Diabetes, time to check out a plant-based diet. Lots of health benefits and some research out there is suggesting its good for diabetes. Check out pcrm.org

Sent from my iPhone using Bike Forum

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Already done....ages ago.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: According to my doctor, the wound is now 95% closed and should be completely healed in 2 weeks (May 15th or so). At that time I will be fitted for custom orthotics and the doc will recommend specific cycling shoes to me. so....all is looking up..even the weather has been waiting for me, as it has not gotten warm here yet. I am guardrdly happy.

again, thank you for all of the well wishes.

Brian J.

·
Retired
2,193 Posts
Ride on, baj, Ride On!! :)

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Wednesday 5/14/2014, my doctor pronounced my foot healed. I have to wait 2 more weeks befre I can wear shoes because the skin over the wound area is still thin and soft and has to toughen up. On May 28th I go back to get some orthotics made and, hopefully, get cleared to ride again. I am happy to hear the status and to be getting better. I am now waiting to feel a ot of pain on my first ride of the season. I am not anticipating a long one :D .

Cheers and thank you all for all of the well wishes.

Brian J.

·
Retired
2,193 Posts
Great news, baj!! Just be careful not to rush yourself against medical advice. Hopefully, you'll be pedaling away in a most healthy manner, soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts