Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I'm a Mountain Biker. Love me some Mountain bike action.
Bought my bride and myself road bikes today.
It's just been so hot and rainy here in NC this summer, we haven't had many chances to get a lot of trail riding in this year.
So we got road bikes today, we figure if we can't hit the trails, we'll atleast have the roads to spin on.

She got a Trek Lexa
I got a Trek 1.1

We will ride them for the first time tomorrow..I am kind of excited.

Coming from the MTB world, is there anything I need to know?
We had eggbeaters put on them, already had the shoes from our MTBs.
the dude at the LBS showed us how to shift (which was weird at first but simple)
I got a cage and water bottle for each bike.. is one enough? (I guess that depends on how far we may ride eh?)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome to the road, I'm in the same boat as you, got my road bike last week. It's a lot bumpier than a MTB and if you hit any sand your done! They go a lot faster but don't climb as well because the higher gears.
There are a lot of great bike minds on the forum and I'm sure someone will chime in with some good advice.
Enjoy the ride tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Welcome to road riding! I do both, I started on the road and then added MTB -- and ride MTB more these days (largely because my son loves to ride with me).

I'd suggest 2 bottle cages. Once you feel comfortable with the basics, I'd suggest going for a group road ride that fits your riding level. Even if you don't end up preferring group rides, it can really help you get comfortable riding on the roads.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hi all.
I'm a Mountain Biker. Love me some Mountain bike action.
Bought my bride and myself road bikes today.
It's just been so hot and rainy here in NC this summer, we haven't had many chances to get a lot of trail riding in this year.
So we got road bikes today, we figure if we can't hit the trails, we'll atleast have the roads to spin on.

She got a Trek Lexa
I got a Trek 1.1

We will ride them for the first time tomorrow..I am kind of excited.

Coming from the MTB world, is there anything I need to know?
We had eggbeaters put on them, already had the shoes from our MTBs.
the dude at the LBS showed us how to shift (which was weird at first but simple)
I got a cage and water bottle for each bike.. is one enough? (I guess that depends on how far we may ride eh?)
1) Kudos on you and your wife riding together. Here's to many miles ridden between you guys.
2) The most important thing to remember about road riding especially with the spouse. Don't drop her on rides or the fun and the marriage will end....:D

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
Welcome to the forum and my the two of you have many enjoyable miles together. It's really nice when you and your SO have a common interest that you can share and do together.

·
889 Posts
1) Kudos on you and your wife riding together. Here's to many miles ridden between you guys.
2) The most important thing to remember about road riding especially with the spouse. Don't drop her on rides or the fun and the marriage will end....:D
I drop mine on climbs. We were out yesterday and I was trying to pace her and when I looked back... she was 30 meters back. Oops.

But sometimes when the road is flat she gets these little spurts of energy and blows by me and I have to chase. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts