Jumps Into Water

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by WonderBread, Aug 25, 2009.

1. WonderBread

WonderBread Guest

I want to learn how to do better air tricks on my BMX off of ramps, and I have the ability to jump my bike into a large swimming pool or river

Can this permanently mess up my bike?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Water is not good for bikes, but I have heard of people using pools, ponds, lakes, etc. to practice tricks since not everyone has access to a foam pit.

If it's a steel bike, I would treat it with Frame Saver and tear it down often to re-grease the hubs, headset, etc. and dry everything out.

3. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Do you really want to take a chance of landing in water and hitting wrong, hurting yourself and possibly drowning. I would find a sandy area to land in or even till the landing area up. And wear protective gear. I rode bulls when I was younger and yeah it beat you a bit but it is amazing how much difference it makes landing in a tilled or disked up dirt compared to packed dirt. Till the ground up at least 6" deep, deeper is better. The soft(er) ground may still hurt but you won't drown.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I grew up on a lake and we would routinely ride our bikes off the dock out of boredom. Everything would get crunchy though. If your gonna do it I'd say use a lower quality/backup bike, or buy stock in wd40.

5. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Use a POS bike unless you dont mind rebuilding your bike on a regular basis, but it also depends on how often you are gonna drown your bike :)

6. BikingViking

BikingViking Guest

I used to do it all the time into a swimming pool as a kid, that bike was a clunker though, both my tires wobbled on that bike terribly and I didn't even realize it until I got a new one...

You could always just jump off before you hit the water

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

See how the pros do it. Watch the movie Seasons. Here's the trailer...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ4IUoOJehw]YouTube - Seasons - The Collective[/ame]

8. Cycle

Cycle Guest

That sounds rad in theory but I don't know how it will help you land anything. If you don't land it your not doing a trick your falling in style!