Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to learn how to do better air tricks on my BMX off of ramps, and I have the ability to jump my bike into a large swimming pool or river

Can this permanently mess up my bike?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Water is not good for bikes, but I have heard of people using pools, ponds, lakes, etc. to practice tricks since not everyone has access to a foam pit.

If it's a steel bike, I would treat it with Frame Saver and tear it down often to re-grease the hubs, headset, etc. and dry everything out.

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Do you really want to take a chance of landing in water and hitting wrong, hurting yourself and possibly drowning. I would find a sandy area to land in or even till the landing area up. And wear protective gear. I rode bulls when I was younger and yeah it beat you a bit but it is amazing how much difference it makes landing in a tilled or disked up dirt compared to packed dirt. Till the ground up at least 6" deep, deeper is better. The soft(er) ground may still hurt but you won't drown.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I grew up on a lake and we would routinely ride our bikes off the dock out of boredom. Everything would get crunchy though. If your gonna do it I'd say use a lower quality/backup bike, or buy stock in wd40.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Use a POS bike unless you dont mind rebuilding your bike on a regular basis, but it also depends on how often you are gonna drown your bike :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to do it all the time into a swimming pool as a kid, that bike was a clunker though, both my tires wobbled on that bike terribly and I didn't even realize it until I got a new one...

You could always just jump off before you hit the water

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
See how the pros do it. Watch the movie Seasons. Here's the trailer...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ4IUoOJehw]YouTube - Seasons - The Collective[/ame]

·
Registered
24 Posts
That sounds rad in theory but I don't know how it will help you land anything. If you don't land it your not doing a trick your falling in style!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts