Just bought a new Speicalized Robaiux Last Week but Oh No!

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Barmy, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Barmy

Barmy New Member

Just bought myself a new Robaiux last week. The Expert SL model. Have taken on only a couple of shakedown rides when wouldn't you know it, I got hit someone turning left in front of me. Their excuse was they thought I was going slower on the sidewalk.

That was Tusday. I just home today. Cast on one hand with 3 broken fingers. Cast on the other with a broken thumb. 5 stiches on my cheek and 4 in my mouth. Leasson on the brain (bleeding) which means a can't exert myself for 2 months. And lots of brusing all over.

Cant work.. Bike is broken and I can't ride. Typing this with 2 fingers ofn one hand and a thumb on the other. I gueuss the games are about to begin. Called a lawyer this morning and arranged for all sorts of therapy starting next week.

Will try to keep everyone up to date as things progress

:mad:

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Man I got hit a few weeks back. Mine wasn't nearly as bad. At least the people who hit you stopped. Good luck with the lawyer. You'll need it. Keep us posted on your progress. Sorry to hear it Barmy.

3. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Sorry to hear it. But look on the bright side, You know what bike to get to replace the broke one when you get better. If you get enough money from insurance and save a bit while laid up, maybe you will get lucky and be able to get the new one plated in gold so it will look fast, so no one will think you are going slow and pull out in front of you.

Good luck on the healing, hope you are back riding real soon.

4. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Sorry about your accdent.

Do you all have a restriction on the size wheels that can ride on the sidewalk? We do in most states in America. You may be going down a very long road

5. Barmy

Barmy New Member

the bike

Just came back from the LBS They feel the whole bike will need to be replaced. Because the frame is carbon they can't tell if there's hairline fractures of not. Hope someones insurance will cover it...:confused:

6. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds pretty bad. I hope the healing and the legal wrangling go well for you. I cant see why the bike wouldn't be covered by their insurance. I just got an insurance check from my cable company after the cable guy knocked over my bike and cracked the frame ($1,316.). I just hope now that the check clears. The bike was only a month old. I bought it hoping I could get a month or two of riding before the cold, cold weather, Giant is telling me now that a replacement frame wont be availible until Feb/Mar 2010. It kills me when I look at that on a nice day :(

7. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Yeah, carbon bikes after wrecks of any kind are usually write-offs because there is no good way to tell if the frame is damaged. However, I do know a certain manufacturer is working with a colleague of mine to develop a method to tell if the frame is damaged. They are tired of scrapping frames, and want a way to tell if it is damaged or if they can put the frame back out there safely.

Sucks to hear about your wreck. Especially when it ruined such a sweet frame. Get well and get pedaling soon!

8. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Bummer!!!!!

I got my Spec. Roubaix about 2wks ago, worried about breakin the frame, I'd be heart broken to crash it.:(:mad:

I've tried to avoid intersections and watch every car like it's gonna try and hit me, keeps me on my toes and so far have been able to avoid any cars being stupid...

DrB

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  9. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

The last time I was hit that bad, was twenty-eight years ago.

I was only 14yrs.-old(1981). I was hugging the curb and, there was a lady in her 50's or 60's in her car next to me. I had to make a right turn. Well she made the same turn and, when I was turning, I ended up halfway under her car with my metal pedal digging into my foot. I had to yell, to get her attention. She finally stopped. I got a quarter($.25)-sized scar on the top of my foot. My 10-Speed was no longer usable after that.

10. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Sorry to hear about your misshap. I got hit in a similar fashion a few years ago... bike totalled, I came through more or less OK, got immediately pumped (I'm usually a very mind mannered type), ready to go ballistic on this idiot... but he turned out to be so nice I couldn't get mad. Here in Sweden we don't have the same kind of sue me sue you thing going on and so insurance companies are relatively easy to deal with. My bike wasn't brand new but what I got I considered to be a fair sum.
    The whole crash kept replaying in slo mo on the insides of my eyelids when I was trying to go to sleep at night... over and over for weeks after.
    Good luck!

11. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

I have had my Spec. Allez Triple since 2003.

I also watch every car, as if, it were out to hit me. Because of that, I 'take the lane:mad:' so, motorists can't make the excuse of not seeing me.

12. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

"Taking the lane" can cause acute "road rage" with dire consequences... be careful, you never know who's out there so don't give people the finger either, you just never know.

13. Barmy

Barmy New Member

Just thought I'd give an update. Finally have had the casts replaced with removable splints (embarasing to get wife to wipe after a bowel movement). Been in physio for my hand with the broken fingers for a couple of weeks. They;re still not coming along yet. Hopefully this will change. Insurance has boned up for my helmet and clothing but not the bike yet. Sill feel unsure on my feet. Feel like I have had too much to drink (so driving a car is out).
    This healing thing doesn't happen too fast..... Hard to tame a class "A" personality.

:(

14. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

I hope you have a speedy recovery. I also have a roubaix and would be sick if that happened to me as well.

I'm not clear about the accident, did you say you were riding on the sidewalk? I've been told that a cyclist doesn't have the same rights as a pedestrian when riding in a crosswalk and that since a bike on a sidewalk would be against the law (here) that the other driver wouldn't be considered to be at fault. I don't know.

I've always questioned the rights of a person on a designated bike trail/path that crosses pavement such as an entryway to a parking lot. Does the bike have the right of way or does the car? I realize you can be right and dead at the same time, but was just wondering about the legal answer.

15. Barmy

Barmy New Member

I was riding in the curb lane and had someone turn left into me

16. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Oh, OK - thanks for clearing that up.