Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was ready for my ride around the block.(3 miles) It's quite a hilly ride all around and then 2nd road that I turn onto is only a very slight incline, but it's a constant incline. I got about quarter of the way up that incline and started to have an asthma attack. I pulled over to the side and tried to get off my bike but my legs were like jelly and I fell over. A nice lady let me hang out and rest for awhile while I watched her garden.

Bruised and skinned/bloody knees, I ended up walking my ride another mile and trying again when I got to the top of the incline. Again, rode down the hill and halfway up the next really steep part. Couldn't do it, fell again.

Anyway, this went on for over an hour and I'm bruised, scraped and sore.

I think I'll stick to the park trails.

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'd forgotten my inhaler. That certainly didn't help matters.

I am on medication for it and it's usually well under control. I'd never done any serious inclines before though. I do believe I'll just stay on flat land.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In January of this year, I stepped on the scale and hit an all-time high of 220lbs. We have a steep hill leading out of the neighborhood, and my lungs & legs were on fire by the time I got 3/4 up and feeling spent.

It was enough to make me mad at myself and force myself to work harder.

Fast forward to today, 500 miles and 30lbs lighter, I can tackle that same hill without stopping or panting too hard.

Constant training over time is the best way to build strength up these hills. Keep on riding and before you know it you will be bored going up those hills. Flat surface riding is good for those that are just starting out bicycling, but the hills are what gives you that needed cardio workout.

And, please be sure to talk with your doctor about limitations, and carry your inhaler!!

p.s. I lived my first 15 years right off the I-81 & Taft Rd intersection. No, I do not miss the long winters.

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
Crawl, walk, and then run. Sounds like you might benefit from starting out slower. That's assuming you have your doctor's okay.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
If the Dr. gives you his ok, Ride . I had a hart problum and thay had me walking 2-3 miles a day after the operation , but I allways felt that I was not getting enought oxagen, started bikeing and I saw an inprovement. The more I rode the better I felt. Last time at the hart Dr. he was real happy with my choice to ride , I now feel like I am getting the oxagen I nead. Good luck with your bikeing .

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did get the ok from my doctor before I began and he fully endorsed it as long as I took it easy. I've been riding the flat trails in the park and have gone from being able to ride less than a mile to over 12 miles without getting too out of breath. I thought I was ready for some hills. I do have some weight to get off and I'm working on it. That will help, I'm sure. I'll keep riding but find somewhere with a little less incline for now. Where I live there is absolutely nowhere flat to ride. I was trying to just ride out of my driveway and go instead of having to haul my bike somewhere to ride.

I'm not quitting, believe me! I'm just not as ready as I thought I was.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did get the ok from my doctor before I began and he fully endorsed it as long as I took it easy. I've been riding the flat trails in the park and have gone from being able to ride less than a mile to over 12 miles without getting too out of breath. I thought I was ready for some hills. I do have some weight to get off and I'm working on it. That will help, I'm sure. I'll keep riding but find somewhere with a little less incline for now. Where I live there is absolutely nowhere flat to ride. I was trying to just ride out of my driveway and go instead of having to haul my bike somewhere to ride.

I'm not quitting, believe me! I'm just not as ready as I thought I was.
It's good you got your Dr.'s OK but it sounds like to much to fast. And the fact that you forgot you inhaler :eek:. As has already been said, crawl, walk, run. And keep up on you meds. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Hang in there! The best route to better health is a slow one. My advise (worth exactly what you paid for it) is to go back to riding the trails in the park and work on your cardio. That will increase your endurance (as you've already seen) and will do wonders for dropping excess weight. I lost 20+ doing just that.

First and foremost... enjoy your ride. As long as you're having fun riding, the rest of the good things bicycling can do for you will come.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts