Just Gotta Love It....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CTD50, Jan 6, 2010.

1. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Here it goes for me again.

For the 4th time in 9 years, I have a broken bone as a result of a bike-related mishap. It's getting irritating, but I'll be d*mn*d if I'm gonna quit riding.

This one has been a tragicomedy, though.

No impact like the others; I put a foot down to catch a slide-out on a patch of road ice that stretched all the way across the pavement; the left foot did NOT fold over, catch on a jagged piece, or anything. But the sudden tension of my leg flexing up to arrest the slide made something SNAP! inside my ankle.

Since I could squeeze it with no extra discomfort, and still had full range of motion, I tended to agree with the VA medics, who discerned no break in the x-rays the day of.

Today was exactly four weeks since it happened, and since I was dissatisfied with my progress, I went back yesterday for a follow-up. After some rather intense words with the crew over there, I got another set of x-rays, a cane to help with keeping the weight off the ankle, and a dirty look from the NP.

Two hours after I got back home, I got a phone call: "We're leaving a special boot in the ER for you to come pick up, because we found a healing break in your x-rays."

I've been walking (well, hobbling and limping), working, and riding for four weeks with a broken ankle! Now I have an air cast, and a pending appointment with the ortho experts across town. Not sure why, as it seems to be healing cleanly, maybe just to be sure.

Getting a little tired of the breaks, and the misdiagnoses, too!

I put away a lot of protein daily, take calcium supplements, and get plenty of weight-bearing off the bike.

But mostly, I'd rather the VA get somebody other than Stevie Wonder to read the x-rays.

2. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Sorry, that made me crack up...:D

That truly sucks about the break, sorry about that. Maybe you are just...well, unlucky? Clumsy? ;)

Good luck on the healing!

3. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Ouch.

I snapped the radial head (funny bone) off my left arm going over the handlebars of my bike when I was in college. Breaking your funnybone off hurts about as much as you'd expect.

On Halloween 08' I was riding on a bike path (admittedly very drunk) coming home from an alleycat race and I slid out on some gravel and broke my cheek bone and did some nerve damage in the right side of my face.

Breaking stuff is never fun. i hope you heal up quick and stay in one piece on future rides.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I stepped out on my back porch tripped on a dog toy and broke my foot once. I feel your pain. Hope it heals well!

5. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I must admit: me, too!

And I was just about to complain about this little sore throat/cold that's kept me from riding for about a week now.

Hope you get better soon, man!

6. CTD50

The suddenly-contrite VA has hooked me up with an air-cast and a referral to the premier orthopedics group in town. I'll see them next Tuesday.

That air-cast has been a great benefit; I wear it at work, where hours and hours of standing and walking on concrete are a fact of life. At home, i spend most of my time with the foot elevated, so it's not needed at home.

I've had a quiet discussion with my ankle; it understands that I expect to be near 100% by Valentines Day. Whether it goes along with my plan or not is the question.....

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I see they gave you pain medicine.

8. CTD50

Nah, that's the beer I washed it down with.

9. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Hey you must go to the same VA hospital I go to. When I went in about my ankle on July 8, 2009 they said that after looking at the xrays, I had chipped a small piece of bone in my ankle and it needed to be removed. They gave me a consult to see an orthopedic surgeon to get the surgery to remove it planned. First available date was July 21, 2009. I had injured my back at the same time so I was laid up for the time. I finally get to the ortho surgeon she looks at my x-rays and says the chip if not buggin me is not something she is worried about. BUT she was very concerned about the broken tibia. I hobbled in under my own power wearing a loosely tied tennis shoe and left in walking cast.

I wish Stevie Wonder had just stuck with the music.

10. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

You know, billiards can be fun, too.

Maybe you should try billiards.

11. CTD50

Played billiards as a kid. Bored by the time I was twelve.

Still like the bike, though. Since my daughter's in puberty now, it gives me a reason to get up in the morning.

(j/k)

12. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

I was just kidding about the billiards, of course. Still... it seems like you've had more of your share of mishaps. I've had three so far in about two years, with most of my miles coming during my commute:

. On my second commute attempt, I endoed and did a face plant, cracking a helmet. It was very much due to my lack of experience (I hadn't been riding in about 10 years).
    . When pulling away from a light, I pulled a muscle in my back and had muscle spasms back there for a while. It healed up okay after a week or two.
    . I apparently pulled a tendon in my knee, I think it came during a rough dismount (slid off the seat) while riding off-road and hitting a hole. It's okay for about 10 miles but after that it starts to let me know it's there, followed by actual pain. If I push it too far I start getting muscle spasms in my leg.

I attribute the second and third incidents to being old and not stretching enough.

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Mine's two and I already have a reason to leave in the morning. I'm with you on the billiards it's fun when your drunk but when you quit drinking it's just frustrating.

14. CTD50

Yup, Doohickie, I knew you were kidding -- that game lost all its luster for me, though, when I couldn't hit a shot at 26 that I OWNED at 9!

Quick history:
    2001 -- left wrist cracked when my foot slipped out of the Powergrip during a small hop on a trail, yard-saled into exposed roots. A bowling brace kept me together.

2005 -- right wrist broken after losing a bumper-car encounter with a Corvette coming the wrong way out of a one-way alley. Four weeks in a cast to my SHOULDER (!), three more with the half-cast. Missed a total of two days of work.

2008 -- turned my R collarbone into a toddler puzzle, 6 pieces; this was a combination of too-soft fork spring, too-large front rotor, and too-thick winter gloves. Dead sailor -- need I say more?

2009 -- caught a slide-out on ice, felt and heard the SNAP, but the crack in the bone wasn't found for a month. Like I said at the start.....

I've mastered the hop; I still steer wide when I pass that alley, cuz people are stupid. The fork has the correct spring now, and those gloves are relegated to non-bike activities.

Hard to avoid riding on ice, though, without garaging the bike for the entire winter. Not an option. Just better picks on commute routes, I guess....

15. CTD50

Post - ortho update:

OK, I have to back off the VA a bit; I saw the x-rays they took back in Dec -- no evidence of a cracked bone. The shots from last week, though, show it clearly... due mostly, said the ortho doc, to the fill-in from the healing process.

He called it a 3rd-medillial hairline fracture and moderate sprain. I seem to be on track for normal recovery. Now THAT sucks!

The good news is, no further "attention" -- meaning surgery, etc. -- is needed. Got a new brace, works decently well.