Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Ride by Grant Petersen

Anybody read this book? He had a whole section talking about flat pedals vs clipless just like INTEGRATE was talking about. Said they fitted riders with sensors on the muscles and nobody pulls up and on the pedals. Says just to minimize the weight on the rising pedal. He had some other radical stuff to say like wear a searsucker shirt instead of a bike jersey, a blinky tail light will make a drunk fixate on it and drive into you and other stuff. He had a whole section talking about bike helmets, and I am guessing he says it is ok to ride without one. At least he insinuated that he had a controversial view on them. I read just a bit while sitting at the bookstore tonight. I ended up not buying the book, but if others have read the whole thing and recommend it, I may go back and get it. A lot of the early focus was on just enjoying the ride and becoming an "unracer".

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. Just from what I saw, he throws some really crazy ideas out there, and they may be true from some or many cyclists. I can't say that I agree with all that I read, but he does present tips for cornering and for heavy riders climbing that I found pretty interesting and they made sense. He also said to wear wool underwear instead of bike shorts! UM.... UM.....WOW....

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Xela and Stan were traveling, but they are back today. Xela is in his office pretending to work and Stan isn't here yet. THEY CAN'T CONTROL ME!

cue the EVIL LAUGH

I think I'll stick with lycra shorts and comfy chamois.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I read this book. It's a quick read. Seems to me like he got caught up completely in the world of cycling and its near-endless minutiae/stats, then turned away from that entirely. I think he makes some interesting observations and good points. But at times I felt he was being provacative or controversial just for the sake of being so. I tried to read/absorb what made sense for me and eschew what I didn't agree with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts