Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well went out for an easy ride as I ran 3 miles pushing my 3 year old son earlier today,so figured I would just do 10 or so easy miles and take some pics also.Went down a 1.5mile greenway,up by the lake,up through town,by the golf course,made a loop and came back.
On the last mile coming back up the greenway I decided to "hammerdown" for a good sprint at the end.I come around the corner and about 1/10 of a mile in front of me I can see an old man in on my side of the greenway(the correct lane) and his lil dog peeing in the grass,off the leash,on the other side of the greenway.I knew I had more than enough room to get between the dog and his owner,and as I am about 5ft-7ft from going in between them...I realize he is not off the leash,but on one of the retractable paper thin fishing line leashes stretched all the way across the greenway and I had no where to go.I locked it up,the back tire kicked to my right and "stuck"in the pavement sending me and the bike tumbling...hole in my right hand,skinned up elbow,bent front derailleur,and bent both supports for the rear rack...Owner of the dog said he didnt hear me coming.He was old so I just got up,brushed off,licked my wounds and here I am...gonna post pics of the ride(and it was a beautiful ride) in just a few minutes.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,569 Posts
Oh man that sucks. Do you have a bell? We have a lot of mindless people on our bike path, especially in the park. Every single person I come up on gets, [dingding] "On your left...good evening.".

Hopefully the bill at the bike shop won't be too much.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope not either Nigal.Just cant believe I came upon a trip line at that speed...Just glad I didnt get hurt.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Nice pics of the ride. Hope you and bike heal quickly.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice pics of the ride. Hope you and bike heal quickly.
Thanks Poolie.I went through the bike here inside the house with a "fine tooth comb" and only a few scratches worth mentioning,and I think the derailleur is OK,just needs to be straightened out slightly,and adjusted again.Rack supports are a different story though,we will see what happens with those,lol

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Whatever the outcome of the rack supports, the first and foremost thing is that you are going to be ok. It could have just as easily rolled you over and you hit head first and that news would have been worse than.

Had something like that years ago. I was cruising along and saw the owner on one side and the dog on the other. Didn't think much about it and the dog wasn't on a leash so no trip wire. Dog wasn't barking and not aggressive. I had seen that dog before and it knew me and had ridden by it many times without so much as a bark. As I rode to pass I passed between the dog and the owner. As I got near the owner, the dog pounced and lunged at the rear wheel sending me to the ground. Then went to the owners side barking and got between me and the owner. Hard to be too mad at a dog just protecting his owner, and this was years before leash laws were considered there. Animals can be funny sometimes.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,yes as I had a little time to sleep on it,Im just super glad Im at home and with all my teeth.Bike seems to be OK,Im OK,so all is good in the world...Now time to adjust the derailleur(or try) and do a little bike maintenance.

·
Just Plain Bitter!
72 Posts
The good news is you are here talking about it. Bad news is it is going cost you a few bucks to fix up the ride. [RANT] There is absolutely no reason for any person to stretch a leash across an entire street like that! That is just plain rude and dangerous, imagine if a car had sped through there what would have happened to the dog? Now with you on a bike you almost get clothes lined. Old or young this person had no right to assume that no one was coming because he didn't hear them! [/RANT OFF]

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The good news is you are here talking about it. Bad news is it is going cost you a few bucks to fix up the ride. [RANT] There is absolutely no reason for any person to stretch a leash across an entire street like that! That is just plain rude and dangerous, imagine if a car had sped through there what would have happened to the dog? Now with you on a bike you almost get clothes lined. Old or young this person had no right to assume that no one was coming because he didn't hear them! [/RANT OFF]
Well actually its a greenway,ie; no cars,but PLENTY of cyclists and runners.In hind sight I should have slowed as much as possible,and hit the wire,held on tight and jerked the lil dogs neck through his arse....But I froze,locked it up and down I went.But like you guys say,glad I have all my extremities and faculties still.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that sucks i wreaked mine two weeks ago. road rash is all healed but i need to true my front wheel still.
that looks lie it was a beutiful ride though
A beautiful ride it was my friend...I love this area and really had one of the most enjoyable rides of the season on that ride,up until I was tumbling head first off my JAMIS:hate:

·
Registered
94 Posts
"In hind sight I should have slowed as much as possible,and hit the wire,held on tight and jerked the lil dogs neck through his arse...."

THIS !!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
We had a lady get killed over in Dallas earlier this year by a cyclist. The lady of course was walking on the bike path with earphones on. The incident made the news for more than a week or 2 and you would think people would have learned from it. No they still let little children run loose, dogs unleashed, taking up the entire path as they walk and I have even had them look right at me and not move. It is very scary on bike paths and I would not want to have on my conscience that I killed a dog or a person while out riding a bike. I can only imagine what the rider felt like after that incident.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts