Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Too Much Good Food
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First: I am new to the forum.

This year has been a down year as far as fun goes. We moved into a new house in the spring and that took up vacation time and the best weather for my activities. Now with rotator cuff surgery coming in the next few weeks, it looks like the fall will be a wash out, too. All that being said, I'm looking to turn it all up a notch next year.

I am looking at a Missouri / Arkansas vacation next year. I am currently thinking of the Jack's Fork River and the Buffalo River for a couple of days each (I kayak,too). I am also looking at putting in at least two days on the Katy Trail ( http://www.bikekatytrail.com/ ). I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the trail? I am thinking of basing things out of Herman or one of the other smaller river towns.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
border, I can't offer much in the way of info on the trail, but I sure can say WELCOME to the forum!! Glad you're hear and I am sure a couple of our Arkansans can address your questions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Without knowing your location I say if your coming to Arkansas, don't skip out on slaughterpen in Bentonville.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
My wife and I rode the Katy in late May this year. We took Amtrak from Joliet, IL to Sedalia, biked from Sedalia to Clinton on the west end, then biked all the way back east to St. Charles, and took Amtrak back to Joliet.

We did it as credit card tour -- inn-to-inn in B&Bs or hotels -- rather than as a camping trip. Total mileage counting side trips, getting to and from the Amtrak station, etc., was 355 mi It was a blast and we'd like to do it again.

http://www.bikekatytrail.com/ is a good resource, as is the Katy Trail Guide Book advertised on that site. I suggest calling ahead to see if places you want to stop are open. For example, some restaurants close on Sunday, or close from 2pm to 5pm daily.

Hermann, across the river from mile marker 100, is an interesting, busy place with a lot of B&Bs and restaurants. From Hermann / Rhineland / McKittrick, east to Defiance (mm59) is wine country.

I would make a special trip to Rocheport (mm 179), and ride to Cooper's Landing (mm 169) or as ar towards to Bluffton (mm 111) as you can. Parts of the trail east of Rocheport run between 300 ft bluffs on one side and the Missouri River on the other.

Attachments

·
Too Much Good Food
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Larry M

Larry M,

Thanks a lot for the pictures and information. I am still torn between just making this a bicycle trip, a kayak trip or a combination of both. I think that I may actually do two trips, now. Each deserves their own effort.

The pictures are really cool!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts