Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the month or so I've been riding now I've found myself stopping and picking up other peoples trash. more specifically people's discarded plastic rings from 6packs of beer/soda. so far I've picked up 11 of them and I bring them home and cut them up and throw them away. also I've picked up wrappers from others nutrition bars (nature valley etc etc.) found 4 of these. also found a tangled mess of fishing line on a bridge where people tend to fish a local creek. and once to help an injured bird out of the road (should I have left it? I don't know). as far as the bird goes I found it was the most troubling decision. if I moved it to a lawn odds are it wasn't going to make it, but at the same rate I feel if it I left it and it was hit at least it would be quick and painless (I assume, birds are fragile animals). I still don't know if I made the right decision with the bird (is that a horrible thing to think?). regardless I find it kind of frustrating to have stop my ride to address these items more specifically the trash than the bird. and I'm not sure what bothers me more the empty plastic 6pack rings or the nutrition bar wrappers. the nutrition bar wrappers bother me to think that other cyclists or joggers (healthy minded people) are littering and not showing any concern for nature the empty plastic rings because my girlfriend is an animal lover of all sorts and since many of us were children we've been raised to know the harm they can cause to animals. am I doing the right thing, or should I just pass by as if I didn't notice? am I the only person who does this? are we the keepers of the road?

·
Two skinny J's
21,428 Posts
Do as your conscious dictates and you will have a clear mind.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean the trash is a "no brainer" to me. it's just frustrating at times. the bird is the one that bothers me you know. it's tough to make a decision like that it's like a double sided sword.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You must not get very far but it's nice to see someone who cares. I pick things up while walking the dog on trash day but not while riding.
About the bird. Do what you feel is right and let Nature work it's magic. At least there will not be a flat bird to remind you.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeez I'm glad I quit smoking hack. but I do see things differently since I've quit the smell of cigarettes turns my stomach now and I hate seeing overflowing ashtrays. I've always picked up the empty plastic rings no matter if I was walking or riding. I see this stuff more on side streets than I do on larger roads.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I agree with the previous poster to do as your conscience dictates. Here's how I see it: People do not take accountability for their actions (or inactions). If some of us don't "do the right thing" and step up to the plate, this world as we know it will fall apart faster than we can repair it.

That bird, there's no right or wrong answer but I will say this: You gave that bird some comfort by carrying it out of a dangerous situation, that compassion is something anyone or anything in a time of need will appreciate. Let nature take its course and know that you played a part in trying to protect a vulnerable being,

As far as the garbage, I'm glad you are helping our environment, so many people do not. I've been known to ask people at red lights if their car didn't come with the ashtray option. This usually gets a blank stare and stutters/excuses. I wish, really wish I see a police officer ticket a smoker for throwing a cig butt out of the window for littering. Just once, just to make a point.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I exchanged words in a parking lot with a lady that threw her butt onto the ground. When she told me to mind my own business, I called her a word that, as my friend at work put it "She knew existed, but had never heard it spoken out loud". Yeah, that one. She got so angry, she threatened to call the police. I pointed out that they were only across the street, and I would be more than happy to wait, and would gladly confess to calling her that for throwing a cigarette butt out of her car.

I'm a bit less confrontational now.

·
348 Posts
Oops, try this again...
People that think it's okay to dump their ashtrays on the ground or throw their trash simply don't care. I once foolishly got into it on a grocery store parking lot with a guy that threw his entire bag of Burger King stuff out the window.

It's like they guy that shoots his finger and pumps his entire arm out the window because I beep my horn to let him know he's weaving into my lane. Or almost hit ME. People are so defensive today. With little sense of personal responsibility anymore, no one does anything wrong.

·
1,084 Posts
Oops, try this again...
People that think it's okay to dump their ashtrays on the ground or throw their trash simply don't care. I once foolishly got into it on a grocery store parking lot with a guy that threw his entire bag of Burger King stuff out the window.

It's like they guy that shoots his finger and pumps his entire arm out the window because I beep my horn to let him know he's weaving into my lane. Or almost hit ME. People are so defensive today. With little sense of personal responsibility anymore, no one does anything wrong.

in my younger more hot headed days, I watched someone do pretty much the same thing, about 2 feet from a trash basket.

I opted to return the favor by emptying the entire contents of the trash bin into their car for them.

the cigarette thing drives me nuts as well.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,284 Posts
Hack, others,

I feel ya on the lit cigs out the car or other window. Even when I smoked myself, that behavior drove me nuts. I find it's MUCH worse this summer with the insanely high fire danger. A fully-enclosed ash tray in my cup holder solved my butt-storage needs quite nicely for the princely sum of, like, $2.50. It was head and shoulders above the car's stock ash tray.

I solved the problem permanently by giving the nasty things up as of 12/23/2010. One of the best decisions I've made - no way I'd have found my way back into the saddle of my bike without quitting first.

Back to the original point, though....

LiveFree,

Good for you for picking up after swine who ought to know better. Makes me proud to call you a fellow cyclist. My younger sister, at age 7 or something, got me started cutting 6-pack rings. I'm happy it stuck, and to hear that others do it, too. Good job!

For my part, I must say that I haven't specifically stopped to pick up trail or roadside trash, but the area where I ride is very well-policed in terms of trash being gathered and properly disposed of. I just passed several groups out cleaning the local MUP over the weekend, in fact.

I will grab litter if I'm stopped anyway, and/or when walking. It hopefully goes without saying that I make it a point to never leave my own litter behind - that's largely thanks to the parental units, though: both worked for the Park and/or Forest Services during my formative years. I learned to hate literbugs, and to REALLY care about wildfire safety, pretty much from birth.

Dangit...you're inspiring me to stop and pick up litter when I see it. My average speed will suffer and it's all your fault...no! Call it social responsibility combined with interval training! Police the trash, stow it, then get back up to speed RIGHT NOW, if not sooner.

Either way, a huge :thumbsup: to you for being part of the solution! Thanks for posting this.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,284 Posts
Industry_Hack said:
Failure to return your shopping cart to the trolley bay should result in a smack to the kneecap.
I'm shocked, shocked! Why would you want to harm someone that way? Let the punishment fit the crime: leave your cart loose in the lot, see it fired into your driver's door at 20-40mph - just like the wind does, only a bit faster to be sure the point gets across :D On the 2nd offense, treatment would be extended to all doors of the offender's vehicle. I bet ppl would volunteer to be part of the enforcement effort!

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I'm shocked, shocked! Why would you want to harm someone that way? Let the punishment fit the crime: leave your cart loose in the lot, see it fired into your driver's door at 20-40mph - just like the wind does, only a bit faster to be sure the point gets across :D On the 2nd offense, treatment would be extended to all doors of the offender's vehicle. I bet ppl would volunteer to be part of the enforcement effort!
I bought a new car in February, 2006. It was hit by a loose cart on a windy day, Easter of 2006.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I live in a rural area with light vehicle traffic passing by. I am always amazed at the amount of litter I pick up on my lawn.

We have no control over the abuser seeing as they are driving by at 30 miles an hour with no one in sight.

We have a pay as you throw system here in town and I have seen an uptick a thousand fold of ilegal dumping since. Hows this for a kick in the [email protected]$ someone drives by my house dumps a monitor out front then I pay 10.00 to get rid of it.

·
348 Posts
My kids started wanting to pick up trash on hiking trails so we try to take a plastic bag to carry out any we find. You kind of expect to see morons throw trash on the road but you'd think hikers would be more environmentally savvy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts