Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im not new to the forum scene just to the cycling forums.. i do know the rules about doing hw and searches, but im having a little trouble finding the info im curious about. i used to ride a specialized allez but fell out of cycling i have since then returned.
So here goes, i recently purchased a Kestler 200 sci from a buddy of mine its a 2004 with 105 components. He thru in 2 pairs of shoes a pair of nike and shimano's. Mavic wheels and a polar computer. He also gave me two kits a canari team kit and an older discovery channel kit. I paid $600 for everything. Now when i have been doing my research i have been having a really hard time finding one for sale or even price info on them.. Yea i know i should have checked around before i bought it so dont flame me too hard on that. Like i said though im just looking for other people that know about them or have purchased and know what a going rate is. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so update. im an idiot.. its 105 upper controls ultrega derailers and campagnolo crank and gear set( lack of terminology) and dura ace brakes

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
If you already bought it then what does it matter what the value is? I'm sure if you discovered the going price is $300 your not going to punch out your friend, so I assume the real motive must be to sell it.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
You don't get much in the way of a bike for $600 these days, so I would say a good deal. Just go out and ride you will find that you like the bike or not so much. If it serves you good its a good deal.
My ¢¢

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I don't know anything about that particular bike, but as Wild said, $600 wont get you much these days. If the components are in good shape I'd say you got a good deal. The pic is a little dark, but is a nice looking bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should say thank you to your friend, not so much for the price (which was not out-of-line), but more for selling you a nice riding, nice looking bike. I have a 10+ year old Kestrel 200SCi with Campy Chorus components that I bought new, on closeout, for about $2500. It is still "one of the stable" and gets ridden fairly often. Enjoy your new bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd say for what you got $600 is a pretty sweet deal! No idea how much the bike's worth but who really cares what the blue book value is if you like it. I could probably only get $150 for my bikes direct POS but I wouldn't sell it for a million dollars :D

·
2 Posts
Ok so im not new to the forum scene just to the cycling forums.. i do know the rules about doing hw and searches, but im having a little trouble finding the info im curious about. i used to ride a specialized allez but fell out of cycling i have since then returned.
So here goes, i recently purchased a Kestler 200 sci from a buddy of mine its a 2004 with 105 components. He thru in 2 pairs of shoes a pair of nike and shimano's. Mavic wheels and a polar computer. He also gave me two kits a canari team kit and an older discovery channel kit. I paid $600 for everything. Now when i have been doing my research i have been having a really hard time finding one for sale or even price info on them.. Yea i know i should have checked around before i bought it so dont flame me too hard on that. Like i said though im just looking for other people that know about them or have purchased and know what a going rate is. Thanks
Hi there , I'm the other side of the Atlantic in the UK, but have road bikes both here & one in Florida, for vacations -
Now, in the UK I have a Kestrel 200sci EMS, bit rare over here, especially like mine ,which is kitted with Camagnolo. (Not sure if thats legal , but I built it up that way ) most have shimano gear fitted. ~ I paid equal to $300-325 for JUST the frame,so I think you got a deal (which was a while ago I see),you may not even have it now ?? but getting collectable here . hope that settles the nerves>>>

·
2 Posts
Hi there , I'm a newbie to the forum, so be gentle with me :)
I'm the other side of the Atlantic in the UK too, but have 2 bikes here & one in Florida, for vacations -
In the UK I have an Orbea road bike which is great ,a nearing 'vintage' Kestrel 200sci EMS, bit rare over here, especially like mine ,which is kitted with Campagnolo. & an Italian / Deda road bike Stateside.
Anyone out there know of many more Campag' kitted Kestrels ??? (Not sure if its legal , but I built it up that way ) as most have shimano. 200sci's getting collectable here in the UK not many around.But unsure whether having 'nonoriginal' campag' on it de-values the collectability of it ... or should I just ride it ? :)) Phil

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Anyone out there know of many more Campag' kitted Kestrels ??? (Not sure if its legal , but I built it up that way ) as most have shimano. -)) Phil
You can build a bike up anyway you want it to be, there is no illegal build kits on bikes.

The only issue is if the bike was originally equipped with a certain component group and those have been removed to put something else on then that could bring down the value of the bike especially if it's modern integrated shifters vs the original friction downtube shifters for example. But the Kestrel is not a highly valued collectible so changing the original components to something else won't hurt the value and may increase it if the components are better than what originally came on the bike...however, having said that there aren't too many of them around any more, yet even so you can find these for between $175 to $400 depending on condition of course.

If I were you I would try to slowly find the factory correct components for it and then once you have them all then simply restore the bike back and not ride it a lot to preserve the bike. My thinking is that since there's not that many around maybe in 30 years there'll be far less around and the prices will skyrocket especially has older steel bikes get to expensive and people start turning to alternatives to collect. Of course there is no way to tell if that bike will go up in value, but the possibility does exist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts