Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this routine this morning with a 30# powerbell and I have to say, I can see why people spontaneously puke while doing this. It was hard and I had to buckle down to make it through. And I only did it the one time, not the suggested three times. 7 minutes and I'm done for two days. We have a wellness program at work that offers all kinds of fitness classes and one of them is a 1 hour kettlebell class. I'm going to have to sign up for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BbXlljb5Ny0

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
KB's are awesome. Especially Turkish Get Ups. The perfect "anti-cycling" body opener exercise. Swings are phenomenal for posterior chain work to hit the spinal erectors and glutes.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were only allowed to do one exercise the rest of my life I'd pick the Turkish get up. Even though I hate it with a passion.

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
I've seen those somewhere....where was it???? Oh yea, now I remember, had to get educated on them at the same time!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Do a YouTube search for "Sicilian get up." a guy at our place did the getup with a 130lb woman,

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man that is crazy! She'd have to be pretty strong too to stay locked in. I downloaded a few apps for kettlebelling and found a move called the Pistol. Never heard of it so I went and looked, OMG!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV0lXdpLdjk"]http://youtu.be/ZV0lXdpLdjk[/ame]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Remember when using kettlebells form is really really important. I highly recommend going to an RKC trainer for proper technique and instructions.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1CvxxumSR4[/ame]

She weighs 123lbs and performs the turkish getup with a 32kg (70lbs) kettlebell.

If any of you are interested in kettlebells and are in the Hampton Roads area, hit me up.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, as with anything form is the rule. That's why I go with lighter weights starting out. Form is what maximizes results and allows us to keep from getting hurt.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spent my holiday bonus. ;)

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
I see you still haven't fixed that..... imbalance thang :)

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
well done sir! I'd recommend Dragon Door for the best books on kb training. Although that 40% off link I posted has a kb book as well.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm planning on getting Kieth Webber's The Extreme Kettlebell Cardio Workout. Which is why I actually got the 20 lbs bell. I've heard the work out is a frickin' beast so I'm thinking the 35 will be too big for now.

·
Banned
430 Posts
I was looking at the bells in the store a couple days ago. I just recently heard of a kettlebell. I wondered what the difference was from a regular dumbell, except it seems really easy to grip, since the weight is on the bottom and it has a handle instead of just a stick to grip. I'm interested but don't have money to buy a bunch of workout tapes/cds.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kettlebells offer a different work out than dumbbells. Kettlebells work more areas of the body. I have seen home made kettle bells where people put metal plates on a U-lock and swing that. I don't recommend it though. I met a truck driver on-line who was 500 lbs. He changed his diet and took a kettlebell on the road with him. He's lost 208 lbs since last February.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
The bells are an incredible tool to help you get stronger. With that said, they are to be seen in almost an adversarial light.

Meaning, if you respect them as a fierce competitor and adhere to the letter of the law as to how they are to be used to insure safety as well as results, they can be your best tool at the gym.

Failing to can easily result in an injury and lost time training. I can't emphasize enough how critical it is to use them correctly.

In fact, I would recommend learning to hip hinge with a dowel rod on your back to get neutral spine prior to trying to swing.

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
Got some bellage for Christmas and a couple of DVD's to get started :cool:

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
So I tried the cardio yesterday and I'm not to proud to admit it kicked my a$$!! Oddly from the cardio my glutes and hammies are feeling it today!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the fact that you get such a complete work out in such a short time. I'll have to look into those dvds. I was going to buy one of these works of art but the waiting list is a mile long.

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
I like the fact that you get such a complete work out in such a short time. I'll have to look into those dvds. I was going to buy one of these works of art but the waiting list is a mile long.

Those are pretty bad a$$!

I think the, like I was explaining to my wife, videos make it for me. I would never push myself hard or fast enough to make it worth while. Kinda like group rides when you are pulling the peleton you just can't quit :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts