Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Great, multi day ride/Adventure. Parked behind the Key Largo Chamber of commerce. 106 mile marker< snorkeled at John Pennenkamp Park rode to Islamorada 26 miles. Very Hot middle of the day so we adjusted to riding first thing in the morning and did our extra stuff after the ride. 2nd day rode to marathon 29 miles. Mostly Detached Bike Path but some Street riding. 3rd day rode to lower sugarloaf Key 36 miles. And finally into Key West on the 4th day 17 miles. KW is the most Bike centric town I've ever rode in. about 60 % of the people who live there actually move their Driver side mirror in when they park so you won't hit their mirrors as you go by. If anyone decides to do this ride contact me I have tons more info. Jon

Attachments

·
717 Posts
Took my bike down to the Keys (Big Pine mostly then Key West) on Christmas break back in 1977, it was the worst experiance I ever had! People went out of their way to run my off the road! Glad to hear it has changed. Love to make it back there someday.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear that, But I must Admit the weakest part of the ride was definitely the Lower keys. The bike paths turn into shoulder only in some spots. But not for very long. You can check it out on google earth, but the data is a little old 1-2 years. They are supposed to finish the entire route by the end of 2013. Hope you have a better experience the 2nd time if you make it back. ....... J

·
55 Posts
The Keys are definitely on my itinerary for touring. Glad to hear that the way there is nice.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Keys are definitely on my itinerary for touring. Glad to hear that the way there is nice.
Make sure you take this trip If you have any interest at all. It was the best bike vacation I ever did. Riding is easy and the things to do are endless.

·
Registered
201 Posts
close as i ever got to key west was panama city and that was a pain in the arse very rude traffic

·
259 Posts
detached bike paths?

Always considered riding down to Key West would be sort of suicidal. Having to do bridge sprints over the causeways would be physically impossible. Getting bumped into Gulf by some texting automoron possible. Do these detached bike paths allow safe riding on the causeways?

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Always considered riding down to Key West would be sort of suicidal. Having to do bridge sprints over the causeways would be physically impossible. Getting bumped into Gulf by some texting automoron possible. Do these detached bike paths allow safe riding on the causeways?
Typically the bridges have huge shoulders, approx. 6 feet wide, several of them use the old bridge that has been resurfaced as the MUP. Go on google earth and you can see most of them in street view, the data is old so some have been upgraded. The only crazy one was the seven mile bridge, it has a wide shoulder but the sides are just those cement jersey barriors and when you're on your bike your center of gravity is kind of high. You realy have to have your game face on for that seven miles. but still I would do it again in a heart beat....................:cool:

screen shot of the 7 mile bridge from google earth

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts