Kick stand?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Mike1jw, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I'm probably going to be laughed right out of this forum for asking this but,
    if you dont use a kick stand on your road bike what do you do, lay the bike on the ground?

2. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Lean it against something or hang it on a rack maybe.

3. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

you mean when your out on a ride?

4. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I put one on my hybrid, will put one on my road bike when I get one, don't care if people laugh, the added weight will be made up with fewer dings and dents....go ahead and laugh people:D

Just remember, I'm an old guy...

DrB

5. cubie

cubie New Member

if theres two or more of you could lean your bikes against each others seen it done .....:thumbsup:

6. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

I lay mine on the ground or lean it against something, it's a cross bike so it can handle some time on the ground

7. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I would put the kick stand on it, that way when you get old like me you won't have to bend over to pick it up. My.02
    Now if it was a Harley Sportster I would paint it John Deer green and cut the kick stand off.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  8. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Usually, there is a railing around the outside patio at Starbucks. That's where you lean a road bike... :)

Mountain bikes can just be laid down.

9. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Can't believe it is even being discussed...Non issue, the fastening system would crush the carbonfiber chainstays.

10. cubie

cubie New Member

not all road bikes riders are riding fully carbon frames......

11. chh55

Yeah but c'mon! Get real! A kickstand?? what on earth for? A guy showed up at one of our sunday 75 rides with a backpack... when I asked what was in it he said extra clothes! I damn near popped his tires. If you're going to ride a road bike get with the program and the philosophy of it! No you absolutely cannot mount a kickstand on your roadbike! There!

12. tankboy

tankboy Guest

What does backpacks and extra clothes have to do with kickstands...

13. chh55

These are all things that have no place in, on or around a roadbike. To that list I can add reflectors, fenders and kitchen sinks!

14. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Nothing.

15. cubie

cubie New Member

if you think of the practicality of a stand it makes sence im sure there someone making carbon versions somewhere .....buck the trend...:cool:

16. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

or pie plate !!! and look the chain .. big/big ... this guy is not a real rider !!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  17. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

What possible difference could it make to anyone else if someone rides with a kickstand or a backpack?

Curious.

18. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

I'm curious too. :confused: Isn't the sport about riding? Seems that the appearance of what is worn, what is on the bike, etc. is more important to some than encouraging others to ride.

How a backpack somehow makes a rider inferior to a rider with saddle bags (or no backpack) I'm not sure.

I'd say that a kickstand is a good way to protect the investment of the bike if it is needed based on the rider's habits, where he/she stops, etc.

19. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

I'm tempted to get a kick stand just to annoy chh55.

20. cubie

cubie New Member

like all sport an elitist group emerges and tells every who will listen how its sposed to be done .....we are all creatures of habit .:cool: