Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a time line history of my recent experience with a kidney stone.

Tuesday March 29, 2011 -
About 1:00 pm: acute pain starts in my lower left side of my back, right about where the left kidney is.
3:00 pm: pain is worse and not improving despite tylenol.
5:00 pm: have to pick wife up from work and can hardly move. On the pain scale of 1 to 10, with the highest and worst pain, the pain is above 10.
5:15 pm: stop at pharmecy to pick things because I think it is constipation.
5:30 pm: arrive home use items from pharmecy and more tylenol.
6:30 pm: pain is getting worse, wife calls the nurse line.
7:00 pm: arrive at ermergency room.
7:30 pm: seen by doctor, CAT scan ordered.
8:00 pm: after CAT scan pain is subsiding and getting better on its own.
8:30 pm: find out I have a 5mm kidney stone in left ureter. leave with prescription for pain reliever, flomax and antibiotic. Can't take antibiotic because I am alergic to it. I figured I'll call the doctor the next day to have it changed

Wednesday March 30, 2011
Just slight twinges during during the morning and becoming nauseated. Go back to ER. They dope me up on tordol and an anti-nausea med and tell me not to worry about the anti-biotic

Thursday March 31, 2011
Appointment with urologist. They take an xray and he says we will give it until Tuesday April 5 to let it pass. I'm thinking oh boy it is going to be a long week. No pain at all.

Friday April 1, 2011.
I went to work as my schedule is Friday, Sat., Sun. and Monday. Went home 4 hours early due to nausea and feeling like I have a bad cold or flu. No pain during the day but that night it hit and hit hard. Worse than when it started on Tuesday. Make 3rd trip to ER and get doped up on morphine and anti-nausea med. I never had morphine before and I have to admit it did feel really good.

Saturday April 2, 2011.
Nauea getting really bad. Cannot keep any thing down. wife calls on call urologist. He stated if this is not better by Sunday the stone will be removed surgically.

Sunday April 3, 2011
Nausea the worst it has been, but with dry heaves. Twinges of pain came back. Called on call doctor. Was admitted to hosiptal and stone was removed and stent was put in ureter. Went home the same day. After recovering from the surgery I actually felt pretty good on that night. The doctor even released me to go back to work if I felt up to it. So I thought I would the next day.

Monday April 4, 2011
Did not go to work. Felt pretty beat up from the operating table and the nausea, though better had not gone away. Got a prescription to control it.

Tuesday April 5, 2011
This was the day the original urologist was going to give this to pass before surgery. I went to work in the afternoon for a few hours. Had to catch up on a few things. Later I realized I had over done it because I felt wiped out.

Wednesday April 6, 2011
Took it easy at home.

Thursday April 7, 2011
Had stent removed. I took a couple or lortabs on an empty stomach before the procedure. Despite some slighty pressure and pinching it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Keep in mind they numb the urethra and use a cystoscope to go through it into the bladder to remove the stent. It look longer to prep me for it then it did for the procedure. Later that day I actually felt really good. With no kidney stone and no stent I almost immediatley started to feel like normal again, even before I left the doctors office.

Friday April 8, 2011
First day back to work and normal routine. Feeling even better.

That is the time line. Next I will describe how it feels to have a kidney stone for those who have never had one.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First kidney stones affect white American males near the age of 40 or older more than any other demograhic.

My stone was 5mm, or a hair over 3/16 of an inch. Which is right on the border of surgically removeing rather than letting it pass. My stone got wedged an inch from the bladder and would not move any further. The ureter or tube that connects the kidney to the bladder is about 10" to 14" long in most men. Compared to the ureter which is like a small stream the urethra is a wide river.

Here is how it felt. WARNING: If you cannot handle imagining what it felt like then do not read this next part. Imagine a pair of someones hands inside your body with gloves on completely embedded with sharp glass. One hand is squeezing your ureter as hard as it can and shaking it. The other hand is in a fist and is using your kidney as a speed punching bag. Again this is with gloves embedded with glass. That is the only way to describe the pain. Enough to make you want to throw up isn't it?

From what I understand, women who have had kidney stones say the pain from that is 1,000 times worse than the pain if giving natural birth.

I would not wish this on anyone.

Thankfully I am making a full recovery, no damage to my kidney and I will be riding bike tomorrow.

One more little thing. I am still pushing a lot of fluids of course. But I am getting really sick of drinking cran blend juices. Sure it is 100% juice and I do like it on occasion. But not every day with every meal. I have 2 bottles left to drink and I think I will be done with it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
One of things in life I hope I don't get to enjoy!

·
Registered
625 Posts
One more little thing. I am still pushing a lot of fluids of course. But I am getting really sick of drinking cran blend juices. Sure it is 100% juice and I do like it on occasion. But not every day with every meal. I have 2 bottles left to drink and I think I will be done with it.
Glad you're on the mend. Only one word to add: vodka.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Oh, and morphine is wonderful.

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
Oh, and morphine is wonderful.
After having snapped my legs like pretzels and laying in hospital for a week on a morphine pump I came to the conclusion that stuff isn't as much of a pain killer as it was a brain killer. It still hurt like hell but I just drifted off and didn't care as much :D I tried to get a sixer to go, no luck tho. As it turns out they are pretty stingy with that stuff ~ who knew :cool:

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
After having snapped my legs like pretzels and laying in hospital for a week on a morphine pump I came to the conclusion that stuff isn't as much of a pain killer as it was a brain killer. It still hurt like hell but I just drifted off and didn't care as much :D I tried to get a sixer to go, no luck tho. As it turns out they are pretty stingy with that stuff ~ who knew :cool:
I knew. Jerks...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there anything you can do to prevent them in the future?
Aside from lose weight and improve my diet more than it is, not really. Doctors used to tell people to reduce their calcium and oxalate intake, as most kidney stones are calcium oxalate. The foods that contain calcium are obvious. But oxalate is found in most leafy and green vegitables. the human body needs both. I think doctors telling people not to consume products containing calcium and oxalate has turned out to be an old wives tail.

When I told someone at work, older than me, that I had a kidney stone she was convinced I need to reduce my intake of milk and green veggies. She does not believe me that my urologist said I can still drink milk and eat veggies and that her advice is an old wives tail. Just about every day since when she sees me drink milk or eat a salad or something with veggies in it she is sure I'll end up with another stone. I just ignore her at this point.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've read things about tea being a major contributor. Do you drink hot or cold tea?
Not in extreme amounts. I drink hot tea when I have a cold or flu during the winter and occasionaly drink sun tea in the spring and summer.

I have heard drinking too much coffee can caseu them too. But I am not a coffee drinker. I am not sure about soda pop and how it can affect kidney stones.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Kidney Stones in Adults

People prone to forming calcium oxalate stones may be asked by their doctor to limit or avoid certain foods if their urine contains an excess of oxalate.

High-oxalate foods—higher to lower

rhubarb
spinach
beets
swiss chard
wheat germ
soybean crackers
peanuts
okra
chocolate
black Indian tea
sweet potatoes
Foods that have medium amounts of oxalate may be eaten in limited amounts.

Medium-oxalate foods—higher to lower

grits
grapes
celery
green pepper
red raspberries
fruit cake
strawberries
marmalade
liver

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm glad pizza's not on the list!

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Kidney Stones in Adults

People prone to forming calcium oxalate stones may be asked by their doctor to limit or avoid certain foods if their urine contains an excess of oxalate.

rhubarb
spinach
beets
swiss chard
wheat germ
soybean crackers
peanuts
okra
chocolate
black Indian tea
sweet potatoes

grits
grapes
celery
green pepper
red raspberries
fruit cake
strawberries
marmalade
liver
I eat a lot of that stuff. Never had problem. Go me!

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Kidney Stones in Adults

rhubarb
spinach
beets
swiss chard
wheat germ
soybean crackers
peanuts
okra
chocolate
black Indian tea
sweet potatoes

grits
grapes
celery
green pepper
red raspberries
fruit cake
strawberries
marmalade
liver
I'm growing swiss chard this year, I'm looking forward to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts