Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
gnar! gnar! gnar!
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I finally finished the klunker bike project. A while back I wanted to acquire one of the first mountain bikes because I thought it would be cool. But after research I realized there really was no first mountain bike per se. Instead there was just homemade stuff. While the 1964 frame may not be pre-war, it's still cool. I never realized one bike could create so much controversy either. It's either that people love it or absolutely hate it. So yeah, tell me what you think.

Attachments

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Neet :thumbsup: :D reminds me of the old bikes we raced around a dirt circle track back in the 1950s. the ones we raced were 1 speed stock or modifyed were the 2 classes. I wish I had some photos to share.

·
gnar! gnar! gnar!
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool! It's nice to see others dig it too :D

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
I read a story/interview of Gary Fisher in Mountain Bike Magazine the other day. It is amazing how much bad blood comes out when you ask who built the first mtn bike. The friendships lost over it, the hatred still. All because of how it was put forth when someone asked who built the first one.

There was a small picture in their of Fred Wolf, Gary fisher and Bill Cary in t-shirts, jeans, and work boots resting on a ride. In the background is their Klunkers. From what I can tell in the picture yours would have fit right in there in that pic and looked good doing it.

Good job on yours, nothing better than making an old one work again and even better if you can make it look good while doing it.

·
gnar! gnar! gnar!
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hack: I have the original Bendix hub for it, but the gear was too small for the inclines around here in NJ. I thought of keeping the hub and changing the chainring but, I just love the old style chain ring. I actually tried making a sprocket for the hub that would allow a larger ratio, but the steal just wasn't strong enough to fit into the Bendix hub slots and handle the torque so... that went out the window. However the chainring that you can see on there now isn't operational. Instead the original one is reversed and doubled over a slightly smaller, modern chainring so the 7 speed chain can mesh and still look classy, but shhhhh don't tell anyone haha.

Grape ape: yea, I hear you about people arguing over the first mountain bike :p It's such a vague invention really, It's like arguing over who made the first table. Anyone could have shredded the gnar off road back in like the 1890's on a road bike for all we know! It was simply just coining the term "mountain bike". But yea, if anyone says that Gary Fisher, Fred Wolf, Joe Breeze, or any of those guys had nothing to do with the invention of the mountain bike, they are insane.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts