Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I gave my employer the "KMA." Well not really, I accepted a small buy-out. I've found my new post to no longer be worth it. With pay freezes, demotions, etc etc etc etc, my pay check simply goes to cover day care costs for my daughter. We're essentially paying someone else to raise her and we see zero financial/emotional gain from this arrangement.

My wife makes significantly more money than I (write that tip down, gentlemen) and after discussing it we've come with 3 possible paths.

I do the stay at home dad job (which I'm excited for!) because my daughter is probably going to end up home-schooled due to some special needs she has, if we stay here.

Take a job offer from the NYC dept. of education to become a special education teaching fellow. I like this idea as I'm from NYC and NJ and would love to get back there. We tempoarily have to crash at my in-laws for a few months until my wife can get PCS'd up there and we can buy/rent at that time. This plan requires us to sell our house here which would be easy and it is considered a "starter home" so its price point is much lower than comparable homes. NY/NJ also has a lot more infrastructure for the school system for kids with special needs.

My wife is also pushing my to take my MCATs. I find this least ideal as it will be at least 8 years between med school and residency and then if I specialize, fellowship etc etc etc. I really don't want to miss my daughter growing up.

Just thought I'd put this out there. I'm excited, nervous, scared, happy, overwhelmed. . .all at the same time.:eek:

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
So I gave my employer the "KMA." Well not really, I accepted a small buy-out. I've found my new post to no longer be worth it. With pay freezes, demotions, etc etc etc etc, my pay check simply goes to cover day care costs for my daughter. We're essentially paying someone else to raise her and we see zero financial/emotional gain from this arrangement.

My wife makes significantly more money than I (write that tip down, gentlemen) and after discussing it we've come with 3 possible paths.

I do the stay at home dad job (which I'm excited for!) because my daughter is probably going to end up home-schooled due to some special needs she has, if we stay here.

Take a job offer from the NYC dept. of education to become a special education teaching fellow. I like this idea as I'm from NYC and NJ and would love to get back there. We tempoarily have to crash at my in-laws for a few months until my wife can get PCS'd up there and we can buy/rent at that time. This plan requires us to sell our house here which would be easy and it is considered a "starter home" so its price point is much lower than comparable homes. NY/NJ also has a lot more infrastructure for the school system for kids with special needs.

My wife is also pushing my to take my MCATs. I find this least ideal as it will be at least 8 years between med school and residency and then if I specialize, fellowship etc etc etc. I really don't want to miss my daughter growing up.

Just thought I'd put this out there. I'm excited, nervous, scared, happy, overwhelmed. . .all at the same time.:eek:
Been there, done that....went to school for a year or so after I got out after Desert Storm. Same kinda deal, since we were military to military as huge portion of pay was going to day care. TDY's, PCA, trips to the desert, it got old. Wished I would have stayed and got the retirement in retrospect...kinda threw away 11 yrs 6 months and 4 days...but who's counting ?:) Even after that time it was hard to get used to being a civilian again, I really missed the structured environment for a long time!

I wish you well in whatever path you take!

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm taking the path straight to your place for some riding!

It'll work out. I have 4.5 years, my wife 12 years.

Just got news my best friend (and is now in the sandbox) is MIA. He sent my wife flowers the day my daughter was born, etc. Left a job as a police officer to take up arms for the nation. Unreal.

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
It's funny that we could run into each other since my wife is a NY'ker :) Her father lives in the Wallkill area if you are familiar with that area, kinda close to West Point. He worked for years at the Shawangunk Correctional Facility and I got a tour of it before it was opened, not a fun place even when it was empty!

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
Come on man! there is no other Yanks and Giants! I'm die hard baseball...I like football but it's just something to watch in the fall. Besides something tells me you knew the answer to one of those :D

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Knee,
As I'm sure you know the path you take is the one your on and no matter what it can be dealt with accordingly, and it would seem you are doing just that.:thumbsup:

I find prayer to be a good compass for such things myself. :)

I figured out about 8 years ago that the pursuit of happiness lies in the relationship you have with God then all others fall into place. May God bless your pursuits and your relationships my friend.

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts