Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weird right knee. There is what feels like a cord/tendon? on the outer right side of my right leg. At times (RARELY) but sometimes when running. Sometimes (more often) biking. I had "some" issues with it bothering my on longer ride in the past. Recently I picked up shoes and cleats and went clipless pedals. (cranks bro. candy 3's) I love them, but seems I'm getting more of my knee issues. I've tried moving the cheats around a bit on my right foot to try and toe in and toe out to see if it subsides. It gets worse at times (not sure when) and I kinda feel the cord/tendon snap with each crank revolution. Any ideas what I might try to eliminate it? or what might be causing it? I'm 55 if that helps.

·
1,393 Posts
The speed play frogs allow the most toe in/out I think - have had really good luck with them - the cranks tend to restrict you to one plane of pedaling

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have plenty of adjustment. Just not sure what is making my knee tendon snap. As we pedal should I keep knees in by the center line, or allow them to poke out a bit? I try to keep them in closer to the enter post of the bike, to stay tucked and more aero dynamic.

·
1,393 Posts
I have plenty of adjustment. Just not sure what is making my knee tendon snap. As we pedal should I keep knees in by the center line, or allow them to poke out a bit? I try to keep them in closer to the enter post of the bike, to stay tucked and more aero dynamic.
Do your knees snap at any other time - like if you do a deep squat ?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
It's advised to keep the knees in line with the hips and ankles, not pointed in or out. If however your legs are bowed or you're knock-kneed you should not force your knees to move in a way that is unnatural for you.

Likewise cleats should be set up to your natural stance if it's pigeon toed or duck footed. Sit on a table and let your legs dangle. Observe the angle of your feet. Set up your cleats to match this angle.

I've experienced a cycle related knee problem but not the same as yours. The knowledge I'm passing along is general guidelines, I don't know specifically what you need to get well.

I hate to say but maybe no biking or cut back on mileage/intensity until it gets better? If you ride, spin an easy gear...

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
I had a similar issue with my right knee. Went to the Dr., he advised taking 2 weeks of the bike to let it heal.
When I got back on the bike I had a guy from the local bike shop check fit and adjustments. Everything was perfect so he suggested riding with me and watch me.
From behind he noticed when I was on a hard pull, or when I stood to accelerate, I flared my right knee outwards. I have worked on keeping both knees inboard toward the top tube and have had no troubles since. Even after hard 50 mile rides no pain on the outer side of my right knee.
The 2 week rest, and the purposefully keeping my knees in straight alinement from hip to pedal solved my pain.
Might have never realized I was flaring the knee if someone hadn't ridden behind me to watch my form.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do your knees snap at any other time - like if you do a deep squat ?
Now that you mention it, I was going to say no (as it seems to take repeat motion - or now I'm thinking strain?) because I THINK I recall it doing it when I worked out last winter. (on machines at the gym) I'll pay attention to it again this winter as I'm forced to work out inside.
I don't get it always when biking. So it's either (power force) or repeated actions.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's advised to keep the knees in line with the hips and ankles, not pointed in or out. If however your legs are bowed or you're knock-kneed you should not force your knees to move in a way that is unnatural for you.

Likewise cleats should be set up to your natural stance if it's pigeon toed or duck footed. Sit on a table and let your legs dangle. Observe the angle of your feet. Set up your cleats to match this angle.

I've experienced a cycle related knee problem but not the same as yours. The knowledge I'm passing along is general guidelines, I don't know specifically what you need to get well.

I hate to say but maybe no biking or cut back on mileage/intensity until it gets better? If you ride, spin an easy gear...
thank you for the great replys. It will give me something to watch. I'll ask my Dr. Next checkup. (usuallly easrly spring). I let my feet hang over the (table) kitchen counter and they seem to toe in slightly. Or is that cuz the front of the foot is wider? Seems my cleats are a about normal, but they do make my feet feel like they're being toedin (or forcing heels out) a bit more than normal. I did this because I read that pro's do this to keep their knees in more for aerodynamics. And I did it because I had the knee issue before going clipless and felt that it might be due to my allowing my right knee to open out more than normal. I felt the forced heel out would help form. But not much change. I'm starting to think (as someone suggest above) it might be due to power to the pedal... strain on the knee, because I seem to recall the snapping tendon in the gym when working on the leg weight machine. That didn't really bother me because there might only be 3 sets of 15 bends. Where as on the bike there are thousands of bends.

great replies, they suggested things that got me thinking about possible options I can now try and concentrate on.
thanks!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
rojoyinc, this comment makes me think you have just isolated your own problem..."I did this because I read that pro's do this". You may have put your knees in an unnatural position thus causing the snapping. I doubt aerodynamics should be a consideration for non-pro or non-competitive riding.

·
1,393 Posts
rojoyinc - it sounds like Plica Syndrome - google it - tx/treatment -- it is hamstrings related (short) with inhibited quads - not a good thing with biking - I would also talk to INTEGRATE about some core exercises and some good hamstring stretches since that is where the Hamstring tightness begins

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Lots of good suggestions given here. Before doing any more adjustments to your bike or cleats, find out for sure if its a medical issue. If it is, all the adjustments in the world are not going to solve the problem. Take care of the medical issue first.

If it turns out not to be a medical problem, and you aren't that sure on the correct way to adjust your bike for a proper fit, you may want to consider getting a professional fitting. I had knee issues when I rode my hybrid, prior to getting my road bike. I had the LBS do an initial fitting but it still gave me problems.

When I purchased my first road bike, I decided to have a professional fitting before I started doing any serious riding on it. If you have a LBS that offers a Retul fitting, I would try them first. It's a little pricier than the other fittings but it's the best money I have spent on anything cycling (other than the bikes, of course). If a Retul fitting is way out of your price range (normally they run $200-$250), go and talk to the other fitters and find out exactly what they offer before deciding on which fitter to go with.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I have had a bum left knee for years. When I got on the bike it got quite aggravated as I was pushing really hard. Here is what I have learned to build my knee up.

1. See a doctor
2. Back off your intensity and raise it 5% a week till you are back to where you were.
a. you want to let the tendons catch up with the muscles as muscle builds strength faster (So, im told)
3. After a ride take an anti inflammatory and ice the knee
4. Hot soaks when you can
5. cleat shims or footbets w/ shims if cleat postion alone doesn't help
a. the idea is to make sure the foot lines up in a way that doesnt mess the rotation of the knee up or force it into an odd angle.
6. Check out one of those fitting shops that hook you up to SCIENCE machines

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Sixty plus... well NON competitive?... I rarely go out for a joy ride... so well yes and no - everytime I go out I'm competing with myself - and the two younger guys I ride with. I'm always out to better my ride, ride time, average speed and performance. We're also strava fans and always out to better our placements in the leaderboards. Early this season my average speed per ride was 14-15 now it's 20-22

I went out tonight and found that it started hurting fairly early. I put my hand on the knee so I could feel the snap. Was same with knee in and out - was worse with it out. Was still there with my heel pushed in and out. I started to concentrate on keeping my right knee in close to the center bar. (REALLY CLOSE) and it subsided. I think that's my goal - concentrate on keeping me knees in (esp my right knee).

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
rojoyinc, this comment makes me think you have just isolated your own problem..."I did this because I read that pro's do this". You may have put your knees in an unnatural position thus causing the snapping. I doubt aerodynamics should be a consideration for non-pro or non-competitive riding.
Correct.

Also, pro riders do not toe in their shoes for aerodynamics. Watch a bike race and see for yourself. Some pros have terrible form but most are very well trained.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Sixty plus... well NON competitive?... I rarely go out for a joy ride... so well yes and no - everytime I go out I'm competing with myself - and the two younger guys I ride with. I'm always out to better my ride, ride time, average speed and performance. We're also strava fans and always out to better our placements in the leaderboards. Early this season my average speed per ride was 14-15 now it's 20-22

I went out tonight and found that it started hurting fairly early. I put my hand on the knee so I could feel the snap. Was same with knee in and out - was worse with it out. Was still there with my heel pushed in and out. I started to concentrate on keeping my right knee in close to the center bar. (REALLY CLOSE) and it subsided. I think that's my goal - concentrate on keeping me knees in (esp my right knee).
You pushed yourself too hard and have injured yourself. Consult a physician.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Seek proper medical advice. Or risk further injury.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
davereo said:
Seek proper medical advice. Or risk further injury.
I agree with davereo and q. Would hate for it to get worse. Sounds like doctor time.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts

Can we follow you on Strava? That's a huge improvement!

·
1,393 Posts
I have to agree if it is snapping all the time - I would try to see an orthopedist - it could be a meniscus (cartilage issue) in you knee

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
seems to be over (outside) the knee like a tendon. (outside top of right knee). Just feeling my other left knee as I sit on the porch here and with my hand over it and working it - it snaps too same place. (but so far hasn't hurt). interesting, I kept doing it as I rotated my lower leg angle. I got it to stop kept working the knee, then turned it the other way and got a lot snap. Surely has to do with upper (femur) to lower (tibia/fibia) orientations. Not sure I'm sold on fittings. What can they fit if "I" need to keep my knee's inward? As far as upper and lower leg bones what can they change other than shoe orientation on the pedals?
It's not from cycling. It just gets more snap-age? from the thousands of revs.. so it gets irritated. (I never notice swelling) When I'm done riding it doesn't bother me any longer. I'll check around for who does serious fittings in my area.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts