Knee Pain hours after riding bicycle?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by roy, Nov 9, 2009.

1. roy

roy Guest

I started cycling recently and I'm having knee pain hours after a ride but not during. Any body else ever have this? I called my Dr. he said it was normal. Is it?

2. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

I've had it but it usually after I stop not hours later.

3. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Have you had your bike fitted? I know I get the knee pain if my seat is too far forward, or too high or too low.

I also get it if I am pushing too high of a gear, hours later.

AND I don't think it should be normal either. Cycling is a lot easier on your joints than other activities. Make sure you are using a lighter gear, and have your seat adjusted. I have had my ACL replaced, and the other scoped-need to get the acl fixed on that one also and I don't get knee pain unless I have done what I mentioned already.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  4. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Smiley,

Why do you need so much knee work? I'm hopin it isn't due to cycling.

DrB

5. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Not from cycling at all! I was playing volleyball, spiked the ball and hyperextended my knee when I came down. Rubberband *SNAP*. Went without an ACL for like 4 years till I couldn't stand the pain anymore, so got the patellar tendon cut in half for my new ACL. My other knee, volleyball related as well...dr scoped it and said that it looked very odd, he shouldn't be able to see the bone from the angle he was looking at. My ACL had ripped from the bone, then reattached itself lower down on the bone. Oops. He said I would eventually want to get it put in the correct place. Yeah, like when hell freezes over...

Cycling is very easy on my knees if I have the correct seat placement!

6. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

Hi Roy, if you wear cleats in your cycling shoes, they could be the source of your problem...might be needing adjusted.

7. curdog

curdog OBX Sam

Get a new doctor. Your problem almost has to be in the fit. The only mechanical thing I can think of is mashing the pedals instead of spinning them. The spinning motion takes almost all of the pressure off the knees for me. Your LBS should be your first stop.

8. howtofixbikes

howtofixbikes New Member

I often see people riding the biggest gear on the chainring all the time. Starting from the hardest gear may seem hardcore or a good workout for your legs, but it does kill your knees. This is especially true of people just starting to ride seriously.

Gerry :)

9. crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead Guest

have to concur on the fit thing - also check the float on your cleats if you're using them (float allows the knee to align naturally)

I have chrondomalacia in both knees, been scoped in both for meniscal tears and have a torn PCL in one (all from other sports) - I only get knee pain if I select too large a gear or chainring or if I stop spinning and "mash" the pedals.

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

When I tore my knee (stepped from a ladder onto a wet counter top while removing wallpaper from my bathroom) my doctor suggested I tell people that I did it mountain biking. ;)

Smiley - you have man-knees.

11. crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead Guest

Well to be truthful the PCL tear wasn't sports. While in rehab for my second knee scope, I slipped on a wet floor and hyperextended the knee. My orthopedic surgeon was not very happy with me. :mad:

12. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Dare I ask...

13. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

You sound like an ex-football player.

14. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Funny you should say that, as I played coed flag football in college. You guys are brutal! Though I was pretty fast and agile and could get through to the quarterback and get him before he knew what got him. :D

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

We like to hurt each other. A lot. My brother is five years younger than I and every time we see one another a fight breaks out. Love it.

16. craisin

craisin New Member

you to eh

17. craisin

craisin New Member

well 22 years ago I had 2 screws installed in my left knee the screws were removed 2 years later

there was also 5 fractured vertabrae frctured pelvis and broken bones in my feet:thumbsup:

I rode a friend bike with a hub motor I felt powerful pedaling up hills

Sorry I got lost down the back of the house for a while:rolleyes:

what was it we are not talking about