Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A riding friend claims that the knees are the body part that goes, when you are in your 60s, finally getting you off your bike. And into the walker, I guess. Anybody have experience on this one?

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
A riding friend claims that the knees are the body part that goes, when you are in your 60s, finally getting you off your bike. And into the walker, I guess. Anybody have experience on this one?
I have 10 years and plan to work diligently on keeping them in good shape. I wanna ride a century when I'm 100 :D Hey we all gota have goals right?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My knees are 65 1/2 years old and have not even hinted that they might prefer the walker to the bike!! I am walking between 120-150 minutes a week and biking, too. That old saying "use it or lose it" applies to the legs. My humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
2 surgically repaired knees here (Both Scoped) when I walk 18 holes of golf (about 6 miles) 800 milligrams of ibuprofin is a must. but riding actually makes them feel better. when I start out there are some issues but after 4 or 5 miles they seem to work themselves out and the rest of the ride usually about 15 more miles, no problems at all and when I"m done riding they feel stronger than when I started. must be the low impact. You get to use the muscles without pounding on the joints. Also the more frequently I ride the better they feel in general. I like to ride at least 4 times a week. commuting included

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
I'll be 66 in October and my normal daily rides are 30+ miles a day (when I'm not injured by falls :) ). I have never felt any pain or discomfort in my knees, even after riding 100K and century rides. Anyone with knee issues that is directly related to cycling either had a pre-existing condition or has a really bad bike fit.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Ever wonder why they use a stationary bike when rehabbing knees?;)

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I am 67-1/2 and my knees feel better when I ride, when I started rideing about 3-4 years ago I was mashing now I am spining much better;)

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
I have two odd types of arthritis, (Reiter's Syndrome and Puesdo Gout) and my knees ache and are stiff 98% of the time but riding a bike, although painful at times, keeps them working! Sitting at the computer right now I have to have ICE on them or they stiffen up badly. Walking is worse and running is totally out of the question! I'm sure I'd be "using a walker" IF, I didn't bicycle, jmho, ymmv.

·
Registered
144 Posts
my knees started to give out when i was in my twenties
discarge from the army at 27 for bad knees.
63 now and going to have a lft knee replaced to match the right,
of coarse after cycling season.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
my knees started to give out when i was in my twenties
discarge from the army at 27 for bad knees.
63 now and going to have a lft knee replaced to match the right,
of coarse after cycling season.
There you go. I bet your rehab will go well seeing as your legs will be in shape. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Woke up yesterday with the right knee sore. Went ridding yesterday anyway and the knee felt good after the ride with much less pain. Took a smart phone class last night (tired of the phone being smarter then me). At the end of the class had to walk for a while to make the knee feel better. Knee is bothering me again this morning. Think I'll give a days rest and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had my 3rd surgery (ACL this time) on my left leg in Feb. I did 2 Century's last month. Rode 42 miles nonstop yesterday at 19.1mph. At 53 I ain't dead yet. Anybody going to HH100?

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
LarryM said:
I quit riding in my 40's due in part to range of motion problems from severe Rheumatiod Arthritis. I started riding again in my early 60s. Now, 2 months short of turning 70, my knees are in the best shape that they've been in during the past 30 years, thanks to bicycling.
I stopped doing just about everything in my early 40's because of a severe back injury. I started riding again at age 63 and have been glued to a bike saddle ever since. I can no longer run for any real distance because of my knees, but that is the only thing I can't do because of knee issues.

I did have a Retul fitting done when I got my first road bike and that was the best money I have spent on cycling. It made a world of difference and has saved me from the aches and pains associated with an improperly fitted bike.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Keep the glutes strong and unless there are structural damage issues to contend with, strong glutes make for happy knees.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Never had any problem with my knees, they are there and they work, if I are walking or cycling doesn't matter. I will reach the 60 mark next year

·
1,393 Posts
I am thankful at 52 for my friend who is a competitive cyclist that got me on cadence - 85-95 cadence keeps the knees happy - injured my knee rollerblading a couple of years ago - started with severely atrophied knee -- now gained over 4 inches on my thighs and legs largely than even when I was in football in college - every mile on the bike is a mile I didn't ride on my couch - plan to ride till I can' stay on then will switch to recumbents if needed

·
Registered
148 Posts
My knees are stiffer after sitting in a comfortable chair reading than after a good ride.
Have the same problem. Trashed my knees in high school running every day back around 1970. No problems riding. Also had a car crash that screwed up 3 discs in my back and 3 in my neck from a side whiplash (hit by a drunk speeding through a red light). Had been off the bike for about 20 years, started back early last year. That plus losing weight and working out at the gym has greatly reduced my back issues. My knees flare up a bunch, but riding actually makes them feel better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I turned 55 this summer and finally had to give up the fixie because it made my knees sore. That's ok I just replaced the cog with a singlespeed freewheel and I'm still good to go. Like a lot here, cycling makes my knees feel better than just about anything else. I have bad knees to begin with, 10 years of football, 20 years of ladders in the Navy and a decade of working with horses as a farrier have taken their toll. But cycling seems to be my panacea, it keeps the knees lubed and me in shape. I couldn't imagine my life right now without a bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts