Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night went to a barbeque at my wife's supervisor's house (Lieutenant Colonel).

He's giving a "thanks for coming" speech before we eat and says grace. So my daughter is learning "knock, knock" jokes (thanks to me).

As the Lt. Col. begins grace my daughter yells out "Hey Mommy! Knock, Knock! Guess what? I made a STINK!" A stinky stink! Yay stinks!" and begins to laugh that maniacal little kid laugh.

(We use the term "stink" instead of "fart" with her)

Needless to say, her sense of humor and timing is to be admired. . . .

·
Seasider
451 Posts
My niece when she was about 4 would make a 'stink' , laugh hysterically and say to everyone 'funny 'innit'

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Xela-

You Southerners (sigh).

It was an event where copious amounts of meat were heated over a propane fueled flame.

Mark tells me this is his preferred method of cooking versus charcoal or wood.

He said it was so he doesn't spend so much time cooking so he is free to contemplate his next bike.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
kneedrachen said:
Wait, down Sowf do they call it a "grill-out" or "cook-out"?
Well, it's quite complicated, but usually you grill-out (propane like Mark) or you go to a cook-out. Don't really hear going to a grill-out, though cook-out can be either a subject or verb. If you do it right and BBQ, it can also be either. I am going to BBQ tonight, or Andy is barbecuing at his place this weekend. But you can also rightly say, "Andy is hosting a barbecue this weekend."

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
In my neck of the woods its a BBQ if it involves meat from a smoker or steaks. Even if you go to someone's house for hamburgers you say you are going to a BBQ even though they are really grilling. So you may go to a BBQ for grilled burgers or steak, but if it involves a smoker, you are going to a BBQ for BBQ.

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Grief, it IS complicated over there! I have a potbellied wood burning stove. With a shelf to bung things onto. What am I doing then?

image-5486410.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
That is quite interesting. You are certainly making fire....smelting maybe ;-)

·
Seasider
451 Posts
That is quite interesting. You are certainly making fire....smelting maybe ;-)
So, are you going to Tim's smelt tonight. Or Tim is smelting tonight. lol I think, once again I would drink alone. :)

Smelting is a form of extractive metallurgy; its main use is to produce a metal from its ore. This includes production of silver, iron, copper and other base metals from their ores. Smelting uses heat and a chemical reducing agent to decompose the ore, driving off other elements as gasses or slag and leaving just the metal behind. The reducing agent is commonly a source of carbon such as coke, or in earlier times charcoal. The carbon (or carbon monoxide derived from it) removes oxygen from the ore, leaving behind elemental metal. The carbon is thus oxidized in two stages, producing first carbon monoxide and then carbon dioxide. As most ores are impure, it is often necessary to use flux, such as limestone, to remove the accompanying rock gangue as slag.

at least it would drive off any passing slag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts