Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When pedaling under pressure Iam getting a metallic knocking noise and its happening in all gears . I can actually feel it in the pedals/crankarms .Problem is trying to ride and watch where I am going and to try to look/hear exactly what area its coming from .
Any ideas would be helpful. There are times when its gone but comes back
Paul

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It's probably your bottom bracket has loosened up a little.

·
73 Posts
Certainly sounds like bottom bracket paultech6, prop the bike against something to hold it upright and take a hold of one pedal arm, see if you can feel some movement by trying to push and pull on the crank arm sideways. Another way to check the bottom bracket is by shifting the gears to the smallest front and smallest rear gears combination, then take the chain off the front chain ring and rest it on the frame where the bottom bracket goes in. Now turn the cranks as if you would when pedalling and see how it feels in the bearings?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I recently had a "click" noise at the bottom of each right stroke. I thoroughly cleaned the bike, lube chain, checked my shoes and cleats and gave everything else a once-over. I found nothing wrong, yet the click persisted & became more prominent.
I'm embarrassed to say, I missed the fact that my pedals were shot. The left was as wobbly as a toddler and the right not far behind.

I went to the LBS convinced it was the bottom bracket.
May be worth a look on your bike.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay swapped pedals still there,swapped seat and post out still there.Sat for awhile and thought maybe something I did.I figure use common denominator. When I first got this bike the tire had a bulge on tread which Cycle Force replaced tube and tire overnite .I replaced both and it seems problem showed up shortly afterwards. Well guess what decided to loosen rear wheel and recheck installation and sound is now gone. Just goes to show you learn something new everyday and always double check what you do
I have to get out for good long ride to see if it comes back rained today. Keep you guys informed
Paul

·
1,840 Posts
Okay swapped pedals still there,swapped seat and post out still there.Sat for awhile and thought maybe something I did.I figure use common denominator. When I first got this bike the tire had a bulge on tread which Cycle Force replaced tube and tire overnite .I replaced both and it seems problem showed up shortly afterwards. Well guess what decided to loosen rear wheel and recheck installation and sound is now gone. Just goes to show you learn something new everyday and always double check what you do
I have to get out for good long ride to see if it comes back rained today. Keep you guys informed
Paul
I usually start with "did anything change before this problem started?" and that sometimes leads to the cause.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Dos_Ruedas said:
I recently had a "click" noise at the bottom of each right stroke. I thoroughly cleaned the bike, lube chain, checked my shoes and cleats and gave everything else a once-over. I found nothing wrong, yet the click persisted & became more prominent.
I'm embarrassed to say, I missed the fact that my pedals were shot. The left was as wobbly as a toddler and the right not far behind.

I went to the LBS convinced it was the bottom bracket.
May be worth a look on your bike.
Got bike back from shop. Only one ride of 18+ miles. New peddles and cleats. Tune up.

:( clicking noise still persists at bottom of right stroke. :(

·
1,355 Posts
I had a similar problem recently. Turns out it was my chain. I don't have a quick link and I had broken the chain for whatever reason and when I put it back together the link was not seated correctly. Every time it went through the rear derailleur it made a clunk.

·
73 Posts
Got bike back from shop. Only one ride of 18+ miles. New peddles and cleats. Tune up.

:( clicking noise still persists at bottom of right stroke. :(
Check the links in the chain, with the chain on the middle gear at the rear, turn the cranks backwards and see if the chain has any stiff/dead links. These will cause noise. Also check the rear derailleur hanger/tip is greased where it mounts the frame and tightened sufficiently.

Make sure the pedals were/are fitted with grease on the pedal threads, if not they WILL creak as well.

Check the tension of the rear Q/R skewer that fixes the rear wheel to the frame as if this isn't firm enough the wheel will creak under load.

And lastly, if all else fails you may need to service the rear wheel freehub. What rear wheel are you using and when was the freehub last cleaned and re-lubricated.? If the pawls in the freehub are sticking or damaged they will cause a creak or crack sound under pedal load.

Oh and please inspect the frame around the bottom bracket/chain stay junctions and above the bottom bracket fittings as well as the rear of the chain stays for any signs of cracks etc.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Thanks for all of the tips. I really appreciate them.

I do not believe it could be the chain. since it is always at the very bottom of the right stroke when the click happens. If it were the chain, after changing gear, the noise would happen at a different place in the rotation.

I had almost convinced myself that I had changed my pedal circle, therefore causing a slight pause in my rotation and then a "click" as i continued .....until I received the list of other things to check above.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Check seat if it has problem a noise can travel down tube and make you think you have lower bracket problem

Remember my noise turned out to be something I caused by fixing flat removing rear wheel.It drove me crazy trying to find it . Loosen your rear wheel make sure its set in the dropouts properly and tighten rear wheel
Paul
PS You may not have removed it but it could need checking and retightning

1 - 14 of 14 Posts