Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No! Not that but the process of roasting coffee for the final product. The cherry or bean looks nothing like what I had imagined. The Ethiopian bean I saw was a very light sandy brownish bean while the Sumatra bean was a jade green color and they remind me of a pea or lima bean more than anything.

I had imagined the roasting process was going o smell like the coffee I make in the morning but it was nothing like that at all and I really can't even begin to explain the aroma. They were doing 25 pounds at a time. I was amazed at the meticulous note taking they did for time and temperature to crack and release to the heat sink.

Learned about about the cinnamon roast, the first crack, second crack heat and time, pretty cool to see and experience and ALL Local.
The beans in the heat sink you can see are the Mobjack Java blend.

Came home with some high octane Ethiopian and Sumatra and want to try his Hurricane blend.

Mobjack Bay Coffee

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Very cool. Watched something on the food channel recently about roasting process and how they use a one-way valve in the packaging to allow the beans to get rid of the CO2 gas they produce. The valve allows the gas to escape, but keeps the beans fresh.Was very interesting.

·
Two skinny J's
21,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very cool. Watched something on the food channel recently about roasting process and how they use a one-way valve in the packaging to allow the beans to get rid of the CO2 gas they produce. The valve allows the gas to escape, but keeps the beans fresh.Was very interesting.
YUP. they were explaining the gassing to me and the fact that you can't package fresh roasted coffee for that fact. i was gonna say I learned a lot but at a minimum a was told a lot in a very short time. I understand Jo's father is a sommelier so it helps when they blend new coffee.

·
Two skinny J's
21,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stopped by Mobjack Coffee Roasters yesterday and Jo had some super fresh Uganda. This African coffee is roasted dark for a bold, satisfying cup of coffee. Jo brewed some up for a tasting while we were there. Walked out with a pound of beans! Really like this one.

I'm always impressed with the roasting process and it's cool to see the pallets of different beans and the different hues they each have.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
There is a roasting house in one of our historic areas of Tampa that roasts Cuban Coffee during the day. When I worked in that area, the smell was so good that all I wanted to do was drink Cuban Coffee all day long. If you've never had any Cuban Coffee, it's like drinking a cappuccino on steroids.

·
Two skinny J's
21,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Mr. Know-it-all
360 Posts
This is exactly how I roasted my own a couple of years ago. It is fun to roast your own, but the hot-air popcorn popper really doesn't get the beans as hot as a proper roaster. Pretty messy, too-- I usually did it outside on the back porch to let the chaff blow away. Eventually I decided it was just too much hassle for the advantages...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts