Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting back into riding, but have never been comfortable riding one handed. I'm not going to be doing it for long periods, checking my email or talking on the phone. But right now, I'm not even comfortable taking a hand off long enough to adjust my glasses if they slipped, scratch an itch or properly signal if I do road riding.

Any tips on keeping control with only one hand on the bar?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Also, be sure you're not tensing up. Since it is something that you are nervous about, your natural reaction would be to tense up, especially your arms. If your arms are tense, they're not absorbing road/trail shock and vibrations and are probably actually causing you to inadvertently steer the bike. Practice relaxing your arms and your grip on the bars. One pointer for making sure you're not tense in the hands/arms and shoulders that I saw on a cycling training DVD is to wiggle your fingers like you're playing the piano. In addition to helping your stability on the bike, you are not wasting energy contracting muscles that you don't even need to be using.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
I ride that way a lot once you do get used to it it's very natural. To be honest though I doubt I could handle trying to play around with a phone to check and read emails while riding. As said biggest thing riding with one hand is relaxing perfect chance to stretch when it's safe. I only ride with one hand when not to much traffic on quieter roads.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ride that way a lot once you do get used to it it's very natural. To be honest though I doubt I could handle trying to play around with a phone to check and read emails while riding. As said biggest thing riding with one hand is relaxing perfect chance to stretch when it's safe. I only ride with one hand when not to much traffic on quieter roads.
Yeah, the main reason I want to be able to do it is for little things. I'm not even comfortable yet scratching my nose riding on a trail. I was on the Little Miami Scenic Trail where we did about 20 miles, and saw people holding coffee cups, talking on their cells. That is definitely not what I'm aiming for.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Yeah, the main reason I want to be able to do it is for little things. I'm not even comfortable yet scratching my nose riding on a trail. I was on the Little Miami Scenic Trail where we did about 20 miles, and saw people holding coffee cups, talking on their cells. That is definitely not what I'm aiming for.

Now that I do from time to time I am actually planning to get a coffee cup holder for my bike LOL, Yeah I'm a coffee addict LOL. But like ya said talking on cell phones I'll pass while riding.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the best advice from us is to relax and not push it. And please, stay off the cell phone when you are moving; I would like to have my oncoming bike traffic on a trail to be paying attention to what they're doing. Cell phones on a bike are for emergency purposes.....like, "help, I've fallen and I can't get up" kinda stuff. Noone will be impressed with your trick riding if it makes you fall down in traffic or on the trail.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
One of the reasons I ride is to get away from distractions like cell phones. The cell phone or an email is the last thing Id want to do on a bike. Now I might crash reaching for something to eat or drink, but not reading an email.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd love to be able to ride to get away from email, but unfortunately I have to be able to be contacted by work at all times. However, I'd find a safe place to stop to answer the phone or email. Like I said in my original mail, I wasn't comfortable scratching my nose without stopping. That was my main goal. I'm getting better, but haven't been riding much this winter. Being in the trainer just isn't the same for balance :)

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Here are a few more thoughts:
Practice by raising one hand an inch or so off the bar until you get comfortable. Then increase the distance.

If you have a road bike with drop bars, don't try steering with only one hand on the drops or on the hoods. Put your hand on the top of the bar between the hoods and the stem.

How fast are you riding? The bike is more stable in the 8 -12 mph range than in the 3-5 mph range

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are a few more thoughts:
Practice by raising one hand an inch or so off the bar until you get comfortable. Then increase the distance.

If you have a road bike with drop bars, don't try steering with only one hand on the drops or on the hoods. Put your hand on the top of the bar between the hoods and the stem.

How fast are you riding? The bike is more stable in the 8 -12 mph range than in the 3-5 mph range
As I've been told by some, I have a toy bike, just a Trek FX hybrid, so flat bars. I'm usually hitting 10-15 on flats depending on if it's a leisurely ride. Coming back from the grocery downhill, having to brake to not go over the speed limit? Both hands on bars :)

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
I think the best advice from us is to relax and not push it. And please, stay off the cell phone when you are moving; I would like to have my oncoming bike traffic on a trail to be paying attention to what they're doing. Cell phones on a bike are for emergency purposes.....like, "help, I've fallen and I can't get up" kinda stuff. Noone will be impressed with your trick riding if it makes you fall down in traffic or on the trail.
I actually saw a guy on a bike riding on a busy street using his cell phone for something, he wasn't talking on it, just looking at the screen and texting? I don't know. Doing this kind of thing is bad enough while driving a vehicle, but while riding a bike? Seriously? It amazes me that some people can't even take a freakin bike ride without doing this!

I can hear the conversation at the scene of the accident... "But officer, I wasn't being distracted by using my phone... the guy on the bike was!"

Face on police officer > :eek:

·
tall old member
1,300 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just found it. When the DC to Pittsburgh trail opened I rode the trail. People had not yet heard about it being connected in Cumberland so the trail had very little traffic. I had days I rode for five hours without seeing another soul. As I was riding up Big Savage Mountain from Frostburg it was raining and I saw someone riding up the mountain ahead of me. I pushed myself to try to catch up with them. When I finally caught him it turned out to be an older gentleman with only one arm. He said he had a bike shop set his bike up for him so he could shift and brake one handed. He also said he rode from Frostburg to the top of the mountain every morning. Now that's what I call riding one handed.:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I happened upon a rider playing a guitar while riding no hands. Out on the roads with light high speed traffic. I past him up in a heartbeat just to get away from him.

·
tall old member
1,300 Posts
That same mountain as I was pedaling up I saw a guy coming down the mountain with his feet up on the handlebars and his hands behind his head. I'd be afraid of the SLA or a groundhog or something running out in front of me.:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I just wet myself a little.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts