Learning To Ride

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by batonstar, Aug 7, 2010.

1. batonstar

batonstar New Member

Hi
    I have just brought my 1st unicycle and have started to try and learn how to ride it, it is certainly a lot harder than it looks like everything is at 1st, but I have a couple of questions.

1 - after using the unicycle for a few hours on and off on the day I got it, I have developed some pretty bad bruising between my legs where the seat goes - is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

2 - does anyone have any very good tips to learn how to balance and ride the unicycle at least a little way without holding on to anything (other than lots of practice)?

2. FredMerchant

FredMerchant Fred Merchant

I don't see as you have had any answers to your post. Over a half-year has passed... how have you beeb doing. Your messages sounds like me a few months ago.

Fred
    Ohio

3. batonstar

batonstar New Member

I've recently been looking for someone near where I live that could help me to learn, I've mainly emailed circuses although some have replied I am still no further along.
    Someone said try a juggling club but the nearest I can find to me is 50 miles away, there was one about 25 miles away which would have been ok but none of their email addresses worked so I assume they have closed down

4. FredMerchant

Keep your chin up. I'm a rather old guy who started this on a whim and made some videos of myself along the way. Your troubles sound a lot like mine. I started in late July of 2008 and the [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo4M-8gLgmA"]first video of my troubles are posted here[/ame]first video of my troubles are posted here.

As of this week in May of 2011, I can ride about 1.0 miles of smooth, straight, flat road before before my knees say, "no more!" After a 5 minute rest I can pedal back. That sounds like I'm an expert, right? Well,
    I still cannot freemount.
    I still cannot turn except in a wide radius.
    I still cannot idle.

I'm riding a 24" Torker LX and have just ordered a Nimbus Gel seat because with riding distance you get irritation in the groin. The ball of my right foot hurts, which idicates I'm doing some gyrating with that foot that I'll have to figure out. I am still "tentative" on the Uni while riding. At any second I expect to be walking instead of riding.

You can see some progress in my other videos at: YouTube - Oldmartian's Channel (click "see all on the right) and scroll down until you see the videos near the bottom. Other videos show my grand kids and others are videos I shot while skiing out in the Rocky Mountains. I'm not in those videos because I am the one holding the camera.

Summary: I've been at this for 3 1/2 years and still feel like a "visitor." As I said: "keep your chin up" literally. Looking down isn't good. BTW, I'm 68 years old.

5. batonstar

batonstar New Member

Thanks for sharing that, just a couple of questions though, did you ever feel like giving up and has all your progress been of your own accord, i.e. learnt by yourself without help?

6. FredMerchant

Learning - forever learning

Unfortunately for me, I've never had any useful help. And yes, I've stopped using the Uni several times in disgust. That's one reason it's taken so long. Even at my age I'm a bit of a show-off and present a lot of self-depricating humor to make people laugh. So I always make fun of myself for trying to do this. I tell people, "One of these days I'll grow up." (or "become an adult.") You get the drift. But yes, I've put he Uni down several times for several months at a time. ... And when I pick it up again I find I'm not really starting over. Sure, just as bad as I was before, but not regressed. -- and that's important: You're not worse than you were when you left off.

Ther's a fellow, Michael Thomas, who teaches something at Univ of Minnesota. He decided to take up the unicycle. Well, be wrote an almost-daily blog. A teacher, mind you, explaining what he learned from day-to-day what he felt, his feelings, his failings, etc. Read the blog, but do as I did, start at the beginning. Blogs are presented most recent first, so you have to go back to the beginning and go forward. He appears to be a modest person, and he has a sense of humor. Most of what he has felt, emotionally and physically, were similar to what I have felt. Give it a read, but don't try to read it all at once. Read a month's activities, and in a week or two read it again and then pick up the next month's progress. It has helped me a lot.

Here's the link to March 2010 of his blog. Print it out, save it and refer to it often. He's not teaching you how to unicycle. He's telling you of his progress, feelings, setback, solutions, etc. He's not trying to mold your mind - he's trying to tell you what he's experienced in learning to do it. Try to relate his experiences with yours, not just progress, but mental approach.

Now that I've finished this, I'm going into the garage and trying that mounting procedure where you hold the wheel with one hand as you (try to) mount. In a later message I'll give you a Youtube video I found on that.

But I'm old and there is an innate fear of falling associated with aging. So I'm not really convinced I'll ever do it. But I'm going to keep trying, no matter how disheartened I get.

Sorry this is so long. You're the only one I have to talk about this to.

Another thing -- my wife won't have anything to do with me unicycling. she won't watch, discuss, ask about progress, or anything. It's like she couldn't give a s**t about it. Not that's discouraging!!

7. batonstar

batonstar New Member

Thank you ever so much for all your time writing to me, most certainly encouraging anyway, and I'm sure I'll get around to reading the blog sometime when I have a bit more time.
    It's been great getting your points of view etc.
    Many Thanks again, and maybe hopefully talk in the future

8. FredMerchant

You're welcome. The more I explain things the more I understand things -- even if it's myself.

Occaisionally let me know if you've progressed.

Fred