Learning to Unicycle

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by monacle, Oct 20, 2009.

1. monacle

monacle Guest

I just got my first unicycle and was wondering if someone could provide some helpful pointers to starting out? Thanks

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Oooh. You didn't use the search. If you have a school nearby, riding on a volleyball court, from post to post is one idea. You could also try the tetherball court.

I've never ridden one, but that's the advice I heard 1,000 times when I worked at a shop with a hardcore uni rider.

3. lococycle

lococycle Guest

Since it's hard to go very far at first would it be safe to learn in my living room if I were to try?

4. Industry_Hack

Hmm. You'd need a big room. Maybe a golf course? Smooth grass there.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I say get a running start and just get at it. What's the worst that could happen?

6. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

The best place to learn is on a very steep hill, preferably wet grass but icy pavement will also work well. Once you get the hang of it there you can ride it anywhere.

7. Industry_Hack

[​IMG]

8. bikeopolis

bikeopolis Guest

What about some kind of harness system that could hold you up if you fall off it then you have a rope tied to the seat and while your hanging there u can pull it back under you and keep riding

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Or you could just lean on a friend and have them provide support like when you were a kid learning how to ride.

10. tankboy

tankboy Guest

Are there any unicycles where the wheel can spin freely when your not pedaling?

11. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Old thread, I know..but how about a uni with training wheels?

Attached Files:

• cp.JPG
      cp.JPG
      File size:
      79.4 KB
      Views:
  12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Nice! Where did you find that?

13. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Not mine. Just pic I saw trolling.

14. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

In the immortal words of IH, I'd hit that.:)

15. jycegrcia

jycegrcia New Member

You should have access to something to hold onto between chest and waist height when sitting in the unicycle. Cricket practice nets, tennis courts and anything with that sort of wiring is ideal for both kids and adults to have practice. You can take help of fence to keep your balance . If there is no fence available, get a friend either side of you for support. If you don't want to go with all these things then I think unicycle with training wheels will be fine.

16. yangus

yangus New Member

Yeah, that's about the best strategy I'd think.

--From my experience, the most important thing to do would be getting used to the direct control over the wheel.(If you try to pedal a uni like a bike, you'll break your tailbone.) that'd be achieved by just finding a wall or something to lightly lean on as you learn how to go forward. after you can walk-along a wall at a consistent speed on purpose, you should be able to start pushing off the wall and balancing on your own.

17. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

It seems like if you could get the balance stationary down it would really help moving on to momentum.

18. yangus

yangus New Member

yes and no.
    if your not somewhat comfortable just sitting on it and leaning on a support, you'll never be able to ride forward.
    When your not supported however, you'll be able to go forward long before you can idle. I could go over a mile without an UPD weeks before I could idle.