Leg shavers?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by chh55, Nov 23, 2009.

1. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Usually this comes up as a topic on road bike forums (probably has here too) but being relatively new I haven't seen it here. Just wondering how many out there are leg shavers? And what is your take on the subject? BTW I'm a shaver!

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I don't. I used to think there was some sort of perceived aero advantage to it, but I saw somewhere a few years back that it's actually done as a precaution for when a crash occurs; as it makes the wound easier to clean a less likely to get infected. Is that your reasoning?

I guess you're mostly addressing men on this one. ;)

3. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I do not shave my legs....and hadn't really thought about doing it. However, if someone could give me a real good reason to do it, and it helped my performance, I guess I would give it a shot.

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Never done it.

Mark Spitz sported a full mustache and body hair while breaking records. I doubt it makes that much of a difference.

5. crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead Guest

I have too many other things to worry about. I already wear geeky clothes while riding, why would I care about my leg hair? If I did my legs, I'd have to do my arms as well -- and that's not happening.

And that road rash explanation is pure bull in my opinion.

6. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but you've obviously never tried to remove a bandage from a hairy leg covered in road rash if you don't think it has merit.

I personally do not shave because shaving is admitting that I expect to crash. :D

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I got hurt while whooly once and it wasn't that bad. I like the article Xela attached. Vanity is fine by me.

8. crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead Guest

yeah, I have. many times - just not that big of a deal

9. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

+1.

10. eaton

eaton New Member

Legs shaved twice a week. They're sexy.

11. chh55

For me it's 99% aesthetics/vanity and I'm willing to admit it. It does however make a difference with road rash as I've had the occasion to find out a few times. I actual like the feel too, call me odd, wouldn't be the first time!:eek: As far as aero goes, any advantage would be negligable to nonexistant although the sensation of the wind on fresh shaven leg should be experienced before knocked. In our club about 25-30% of the guys shave, mostly ex racers and the somewhat older crowd.

12. chh55

Thank's eaton, I was hesitant to use the word sexy but you broke the ice! Try it to believe it.

13. crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead Guest

ok ok ok ok.......

I'll shave my legs - you've convinced me.:p

14. synack

synack The Back Row

I think my wife would freak out. Besides I haven't shaved my face in over a week and my hair is down to my shoulder blades. :D

15. London

London Guest

I shaved for one season many years ago when I was doing a lot of time trials. I do not think it made one bit of difference aero-wise. But it did feel elegant when you slid in between the sheets at night!

Might go do my whole body this minute, come to think of it.

16. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I know mine would. She's already said "no" to that.

17. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I quit shaving (my face) about a month ago. I said something about it and the wife made me trim it instantly. I asked if I could shave my legs and she said whatever floats my boat. I'm whipped.

18. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Oh now boys...trust me, freshly shaved legs are HOT! Very, very sexy-from a female's point of view. I have also heard that after a long ride, it is much better to get a massage on shaved legs, than on hairy legs. How I see it, men that shave their legs, are seriously into cycling...and are HOT. Did I mention sexy too??:D

19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That there is an endorsement for shaving your legs if I've ever heard one.