Lets go fly a kite...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HandsomeRyan, Oct 1, 2009.

1. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

My wife had expressed interest in flying kites on the National Mall. After a bit of looking around for kites that weren't too flimsy/disposable but also were not too high end/expensive I found a website selling beginner level kites. I just ordered two of these to go fly in DC.

Anyone here a kite flier? I have not flown kites since I was a kid and even then I only did it once or twice. I grew up in the valley between the Cumberland Plateau and the Smokey Mountains so we didn't usually have much meaningful wind to fly kites with.

Look for me to be in DC putting on shows like this soon: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe2PddwZJAI]YouTube - Amazing KITE Flying![/ame]

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I love kites! In Austin we have the Zilker park kite day and the freak flag gets flown like it was nobodies business. This town can be fun sometimes.

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Fancy stuff I haven't flown a kite in forever. Maybe when the little ones are old enough I'll pick one up.

5. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member Tavern Member

We have a great spot to fly kites out in Newport RI. The first time my kids were old enough to fly kites we set out for the ocean drive. I stopped along the way to pick up kites and twine and the kids were both happy as could be. Both holding their new kites tightly in their hands we got into the car. I turn around to check their seat belts when I got the end of one kite poked right in my eye.
    I had a cornea injury that was painful as hell and two dissapointed kids in the back as I drove home with one eye.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7dCRAQ&usg=AFQjCNFGM5ssyMh_pHe81C8R5ykxiUgfRA

6. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

Kites with two strings are twice as much fun as kites with only one.

7. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I have many kites and like flying them at the shore. one day I was flying my 50 ft dragon kite when the police came and made me take it down, seams I had it up too high and the banner plains had made a complante :D ;)

8. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

Stunt kites (with 2 or 4 lines instead of one) are much fun, and the larger ones can provide an excellent workout! Hanging onto something with 80-100lbs of pull engages a lot of muscles. Drives many dogs nuts, too - they want the huge, fast-moving 'bird'. I've also got a 3.5' stunt parafoil (no sticks to break) that packs up small enough to go on rides with me.