Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whelp...Looks as though things have slowed waaay down as far as anything new & exciting in the 'off topic' forum. Things do that in summertime. So....thought I'd start something alittle different. Let's start a movie section. I propose this not only be a standard movie review area, but also anything movie related. Be it actors, filming techniques, locales, ratings, history, theaters, sound, (oh ya..even the movie itself.), etc..etc..etc.

I'll start it off with the "Expendables". I have not seen this one yet, but from the first trailer I saw, months ago, I knew this one would be very "high" on my list. I've never be keen on reviews as some of the worst movie reviews have turned out to be some of the best movies. But, that being said, I do have to say, outta dozens of reviews I've read, only one was negative. And....that was only to say this movie was predictable. DUH!. That wouldn't be hard to figure out. But, anyway, action flicks are my 2nd favorite kind of movie, next to SciFi, and this one promises to bring all that and much more. Especially combining massive blood/gore/violence, with most all the well known action heros we grew up with. Personally, it was the constant banter between the characters that caught my attention. I'm a sucker for comic relieve sprinked among various explosions, punches and chase scenes. Such as: "Hey..Been a long time, nice seeing you, looks like you lost some weight." Other charactter: "Ha...what weight I've lost, looks like you found." I really think this is going to be one of the years' blockbuster action films. I could be way off, too. (Think.. "War of the Worlds"..I wanted to puke after seeing that one) Will just have to wait and see.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I would suggest Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, Charade, The Professional, and Ronin to anyone looking for some good movies. That's just off the top of my head. If you're insistent on paying $15 for a cramped seat, sticky floor, and fattening popcorn, I can't help you. Nothing in the theaters in the last ten+ years has been anything I would consider watching twice.

·
No longer a newb!
177 Posts
Went to see 'The Expendables' this weekend. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Gratuitous violence abounds but I thought it was fun. 3 out of 5 stars.

·
Bent Newbie - old rider
144 Posts
If you like a movie that has you still thinking about it the next day, and arguing with your friends about what the last scene really meant, then go see Inception.

Just make sure to go to the restroom before the film starts, because you won't want to get out of your seat and it's not a short movie.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
But, anyway, action flicks are my 2nd favorite kind of movie, next to SciFi, and this one promises to bring all that and much more. Especially combining massive blood/gore/violence, with most all the well known action heros we grew up with.
Have you seen Kick Ass? Sounds like it's right up your alley--Hilariously violent.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Have you seen Kick Ass? Sounds like it's right up your alley--Hilariously violent.
I just rented it from BlockBuster. Yes, they still exist! The one by my house has quit running the AC and is down to one clerk at a time, but man, can't beat the new having to keep up with RedBox prices! I

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't watch movies anymore, since I'm on the forum here!! :)

In the last few weeks I watched LA confidential, Burn after reading and Avatar.
Liked them!
My all time favorite movies: shawshank redemption, lord of the rings and STAR WARS (all episodes). I watch them at least once a year

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then you would have loved to been around here. Star Wars played all last weekend. Episodes 1-6....4 times. Wonder if Lucas is still planning on making the final 3 episodes?

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I think most guys like StarWars. My wife hates it, so I never get to watch it. I hope they don't make the final three. It seemed the prequels made a mess of the universe and made people think negatively about the entire trilogy. Not to mention Hayden Christianson was terrible, just terrible.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I'm a fan of really good movies. To qualify that, the genre is less important than the execution. The Kite Runner was exceptionally well done, even if the subject matter itself wasn't really of interest to me. Date Night wasn't bad, but there were very few shining moments. Compare that to Will Ferrell movies,which are predictably stupid, but that's what we watch them for, and then we get that extra chuckle because they manage to surprise us with memorable lines like "60% of the time, it works all the time".

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I think most guys like StarWars. My wife hates it, so I never get to watch it. I hope they don't make the final three. It seemed the prequels made a mess of the universe and made people think negatively about the entire trilogy. Not to mention Hayden Christianson was terrible, just terrible.
I'm not a Star War fanatic, but I do enjoy watching it. Specially if I want to take a nap. But I totally agree with ya bout Christianson. What a dweeb. And the closer toward becoming Vader, the worst his acting became. The only redeeming value was when he finally became Vader. The costume covered his bod and the voice chanced. If and when they do finish out the trilogy, I think the final three would probably be ok. I almost see Lucus, Spielberg, Scott, and Cameron getting together. Hopefully Ridley Scott would have the most input....Alien Style!:D:thumbsup: Least his follow-ups to the original Alien didn't suck as bad as most other sequels.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I watched Date Night last night.

Wow! I was expecting it to be mediocre but it was downright god awful.

Watching Glengarry Glenross right now while I work to make up for it.

·
No longer a newb!
177 Posts
Going to try and see 'Restrepo' before it leave our local art house theater.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DjqR6OucBc]YouTube - "Restrepo" Trailer[/ame]

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I'm not a Star War fanatic, but I do enjoy watching it. Specially if I want to take a nap. But I totally agree with ya bout Christianson. What a dweeb. And the closer toward becoming Vader, the worst his acting became. The only redeeming value was when he finally became Vader. The costume covered his bod and the voice chanced. If and when they do finish out the trilogy, I think the final three would probably be ok. I almost see Lucus, Spielberg, Scott, and Cameron getting together. Hopefully Ridley Scott would have the most input....Alien Style!:D:thumbsup: Least his follow-ups to the original Alien didn't suck as bad as most other sequels.
It's funny how movies do that. When I need to take a nap I usually turn on a movie I've seen 100 times and drift off.
That's true about Aliens. I wished they hadn't screwed up and made aliens versus predator, that movie was terrible.

Date night was that bad? That sucks, I was going to rent it.

I love Will Ferrel movies. Funy or Die is great too. Between the ferns with Zack Galafnakis (I know I spelled it wrong) is hysterical.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts