Like to know what you guys think of the idea

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by photosbymark, Jul 29, 2010.

1. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well almost everyone has an old bike around. Having a forum member that rides overseas while serving, something hit me the other night. I wonder how many units overseas have bikes that the troops could go out and ride to unwind. Call it something like Pedals for Patriots.

After reading a few articles about how much being able to ride meant to some of the guys, just maybe we can get a few over there to provide something for them to ride and enjoy.

Don't know how the logistics would work, but someone that knows how things work might be able to take the lead and see if this idea has any merit.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I don't think much of the idea, but don't take offense to that.

3. georgec

georgec Member

I have picthed in a few times on sending Radio Control plane parts to service men who fly R/C planes. Have even helped out on sending cigars over there. I think the problem with this is how would you get a bicycle over there you can't just put one in a little box and mail like you can the other stuff.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Sounds good, but I would contact the Army about how to handle it.

5. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

I know lots of guys that serve, and ride with quite a few. They don't have issues/problems getting bikes if they want them.
    They get bikes/frames/parts shipped to them using military APO shipping no problem, at shipping rates much cheaper than what anyone else overseas not on a base gets for shipping.

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

My thought is that the army isn't going to like large unexpected packages.

7. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

A friend of mine is a SeaBee. He was over in the desert and we would send him care packages. He has a story he likes to tell of really embarrassing a girl in the office when she came in and told him "you have a large package up front."

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That's awesome. So then they can get large packages? How large was the package you sent Xela?

9. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Did you just inquire about the size of his package?

10. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Shhhhh.

Something like that.

11. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

It wasn't huge. Probably 36"x36"X24".

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I've heard that's average.

But really good to know. My cousin redeploys in couple of years, just good to know. Everything we sent him was small, although for Christmas his Mom sent a bunch of water guns. What does a soldier in the desert want for Christmas? Water guns.

13. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

I have 3 combat tours and biking was never in the cards...on call 24/7.

And after we were done it was time to process detainees, debrief, shower and get sleep when you could. I was not a FOBBIT so I never had time!

Shipping to an APO can be pricey and takes up space for other Soldier's, Airmen, Sailor's and Marin'es mail. If you cannot ship it in the conex with the unit gear, well sorry its combat not a pleasure trip. Go to the gym, hit Green Beans and grab some sleep! Be thankful your not outside the wire everyday going after the reason we are there!