Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proud new owner of a Trek Carbon road bike - after riding for last three years on heavy hybrid - currently ride only on paved trails - don't want to ride on the street - still will ride on paved trails that we have to drive too but would like to add Great Western Trail back in once per week with our road bikes - they are just way too much fun too ride - Trek Madone 3.1 - used to ride my Schwinn road bike all out every day on the Prairie Path toward Lombard everyday with no problems - and it is much worse than the GWT - your thoughts ?

thanks

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Not sure I'm totally following what your questions is but it sounds like it's about a particular path?

·
889 Posts
Not sure I'm totally following what your questions is but it sounds like it's about a particular path?
I didn't follow the question either...

Perhaps if it was rephrased we would understand and be able to answer...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Whether or not it's advisable to ride a crushed limestone path on a Madone.

I ride that type of terrain on a hybrid with 700 x 28 tires. I don't have a race bike with skinny tires. I assume it would be a rough ride. They race Paris-Roubaix on race bikes though, so I guess it would be OK.

The bike might get dusty and a stone might nick the paint. Are these concerns?

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply - qmsdc15 - dirty & nicks are not a problem - I was concerned more for safety & experiences people have had riding their fancy road bikes on limestone trails - I still preferred paved trails but given time considerations - I can get 1-2 more rides in per week if I also ride on the limestone - looking into helicopter tape for nicks & got a chain cleaner and I am prepared to clean the bike regularly - just want to bike more

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
You probably should mount the widest tires that will fit in your frame. Narrow tires can knife into loose sections and could cause a fall. Try it, carefully at first... That said carrying some momentum will help you stay upright. Firm grip on the bars but loose arms, let the front tire wander a little when it wants to. A bigger gear and lower cadence than normal will help you power through. Wear gloves in case you do come off.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Agree with Q on the wide tires. Even the pro's use a wider tire than normal while on those "rough" road races.

I recently (well a few months ago) to a side road that unbeknownst to me turned into a gravel road for awhile. :eek: At the time I had 25c tires and it was a bit sketchy even at a much slower pace than normal, now I run 23's and prob would turn around before venturing into such territory.

Good luck and stay safe!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts