Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in major need of some help, support, my head examined. Ha ha. I am signed up for a 50 mile charity bike ride at the end of July. At this moment I feel comfortable riding 10 miles. Is there in any way I can train for this in just 7-8 weeks and be ok riding. Anybody have a schedule I can follow. My husband doesnt think I can do it which is giving me more motivation to try my hardest. The race is in Fairfield Ct which has some hills I am told, and I ride in central jersey and pa which is a little hilly but a lot of flat as well. Please help me reach my goal. Thanks to all who have faith.

·
Rat Biker
444 Posts
Good luck with the ride. I was like you at one point going back pretty comfortable doing 10 or 15 mile rides I just started going farther and father. I say just go for it. I never have done any kind of an organized ride myself before but I do longish solo rides on a regular basis. Longest being just shy of 60. I live in Fiarfield Ct and I know what you mean about hills some are bears to get over. Just keep at it and if need be walk the bike up a section no point in hurting your body either. My mom did a charity ride years ago she never done one before either but told me the other riders were a big motivation towards her so sure you will get a lot of encouragement out there to. Most important thing with riding have fun with it. Be sure fun to see the look on your husbands face when you finish :D
Cheers
Jim

Let us know how you do. BTW where abouts in Fairfield is the ride?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Three months or so ago I threw my leg over a road bike for the first time in 10 years and did my first 50 mile ride several weeks ago, so it is possible. For me at least I found that 50 wasn't much harder than 30.

My approach, while unscientific was (and still is) this:

During the week after work on Mon, Wed and Friday I block off an hour to ride. In the beginning that was 6-8 miles but over time quickly saw improvements. Soon it was 10 miles, then 12, then 15 etc... I log each ride so I know time and distance and can see my improvements.

On Saturday or Sunday I would ride as far as I could go and push myself a little further each time I went out. 10 miles today... make it 12 miles the next ride. Then 15 and 20. If a particular distance really kicked my rear I'd ride that same distance several times until I was comfortable then continue to go further.

In the end, just have fun... what's the point if you're not. As summer kicks in hydration is very important. I like the G2 low cal Gatorade.

I'm sure others here will have much better advise, but good luck and share with us your progress.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the support....I am getting more and more confidence. Jim the ride is called the CT Challenge. It starts in Fairfield (not exactly sure where) goes through Weston, Georgetown, redding, Bethel, Newtown, Easton, Southport, and back to Fairfield at the Hunt Club. It says it climbs steady the first 25 miles and the last 25 miles is a gradual descent...in my opinion the last 25 miles should be all downhill.....that would be great!!! hahah. There is a map at the CT challenge website of the exact course but that does no good to me because I have no clue where I am when I am there.

I have a hybrid bike so hopefully that doesnt make it all that much harder for me. Its a canondale and works great on the road but doesnt have the standard road bike handle bars so i think i will be sore after the race. Hopefully not too bad. We will see. I will keep you guys updated. I have been upping my miles slowly and man the worst part is that my butt is sore. I need to get some cushiony spandex or something.....but I am sure that will toughen up too. The ride here in PA should be fun tomorrow in 100 degree weather. Yikes!!!!

·
Rat Biker
444 Posts
Not to discourage you but my rump was sore after the first time riding 60 miles take breaks and stretch if you need to. My mom did say when she trained for her first run like yours she rode up till the week before the event then took off for that week no riding at all. bring plenty of water and some snacks with ya to :D. Ah you gonna have same temps as us call me nuts my favorite time to ride. By the way I know some of the areas you are riding through the hills can be tough here but a lot of them are long. You are gonna be riding through my home town of Bethel very nice easy riding through it.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I'm sure you can do it if you pace yourself and not try to race.

I'm on a Trek Hybrid and can spend all day on it.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
There is a book called bicycling for dummies has what you are looking for, has a work out plan it explaines endurance, power, speed and how to train and how hard to train to get there, and a week by week guide. The book has a lot of info on outher things allso I think you will like the book.

·
717 Posts
With a hybrd the biggest difference is that you have less places to put your hands on the bars to keep them from going numb as compared to a "road bike". Move your hands around, get up off the seat alot and you will be fine. Sore butt can only be addressed by more seat time. Cycle shorts are your friend.

Remember...this is fun!

·
Registered
330 Posts
standard road bike handle bars so i think i will be sore after the race.

I need to get some cushiony spandex or something.....
Step 1: Stop saying it's a race. It isn't a race. If you think of it as a race, it's more daunting than it is. If you think of it as a race, you'll push yourself to ride faster than you are comfortable riding.

Step 2: By the Lords of Kobol, get some bike shorts! The rest of us don't wear them because they're stylish...

Step 3: Don't psyche yourself out by thinking it's harder than it is.
If you're a mostly normal human being in moderately good shape, riding 50 miles is nothing. Example: I was passed last year at the Hilly Hundred by a ******* on a WalMart hybrid who was drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette. He passed me on one of the larger climbs. That isn't really a difficult task, since I weigh about 300 pounds. Each day of the Hilly is about 50 miles. There are thousands of feet of climbing each day. Many of the participants are riders who get the bike out once each year - just to ride the Hilly Hundred.

Step 4: Get some miles in before the ride.

Step 5: Do the ride and say at the end "That really wasn't that difficult. I think I'll try a century next time."

·
Registered
62 Posts
#1 What PlatyPius said:thumbsup: Get cycling shorts, get out and ride, and have fun with the whole thing. This could be a lifestyle changer for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi,

two things... 7 weeks is pretty good... you can do it, just try to ride every day for the duration and rest for the last day before race but if you're thinking of winning i would be regretful to inform you that it will be impossible. as I said.. two things... finishing 50 mile will be possible but winning in 1st place would be impossible for sure there are professional riders that will join the event and they have trained for years....

no offense meant... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
hi,

two things... 7 weeks is pretty good... you can do it, just try to ride every day for the duration and rest for the last day before race but if you're thinking of winning i would be regretful to inform you that it will be impossible. as I said.. two things... finishing 50 mile will be possible but winning in 1st place would be impossible for sure there are professional riders that will join the event and they have trained for years....

no offense meant... :thumbsup:
There is no "first place" or "winning" in a charity RIDE.

There's always a group who thinks there is, though, and shows the rest of us what total $#@%$#% they are....

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Wow guys it's not that difficult.

So your riding 10 miles comfortable. You need a schedule so you can train and stay on track, so here is a schedule, there are others but this works just as well, see: Training for a Century Ride

Now note on the schedule that first off Saturdays are your long rides, also note that the first week Sat is 30 miles...I know, that's too much so you reduce all the mileage figures for all the days of the week for that week by 2/3rds so that on Saturday your riding 10 miles; then the next week your riding 20; then the third week your doing 30 and using the schedule for that week just as it's laid out. Thus by the 7th week your Saturday ride will be the 50 mile charity ride and you'll be ready!

Please pay close attention, no matter how you feel stay exactly with the schedule, it is designed to increase your mileage with out making you too tired for the long Saturday rides and without injuries. Don't say one day where your schedule to do 10 miles and you feel like doing 15, stay on the track you will be far better off for the charity ride if you do.

Good luck, you can do this, it isn't a big deal, just follow the plan to the letter and you'll make it.

·
242 Posts
I look forward to hearing how you do on this ride because I'm kind of in the same boat. i plan on going on a 50 mile ride in Septemer down in Mexico so far the most I've went is 30 miles but am thinking about going for a long ride in the next couple of days. and I've only been riding for about 6 weeks and had not been on a bike in over 20 years.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I look forward to hearing how you do on this ride because I'm kind of in the same boat. i plan on going on a 50 mile ride in Septemer down in Mexico so far the most I've went is 30 miles but am thinking about going for a long ride in the next couple of days. and I've only been riding for about 6 weeks and had not been on a bike in over 20 years.

20 years is not a big deal unless you gained 200 pounds in those year, but if you had just modest gains of about 50 pounds then doing the training schedule I provided earlier will get you where you as far as you want to go. But get a doctors exam to makes sure your healthy enough for high physical activity, and tell the doctor what you will be doing.

·
242 Posts
oh yes bike shorts are a must oh yes they are. I'm going to have to get a second pair or maybe a 3rd I ware the ones I have every day so they are getting washed every day and i think that's hard one them. but oh wont even get on a bike and ride to the pool with out them over my swim suite. I don't care how strange they look I sware by them :)

·
242 Posts
I like the idea of taking a week off before the ride. as we have a cruised booked from vancouver to LA then we fly to San Diego to his brother's then the next day is the ride so we shall have a week off before the ride and with a house full of Itilan men I'm sure we will have a kitchen full of pasta the night before the ride I am really excited about riding and also going to Mexico as I've not been there and the ride is along the coast. I am looking forward to hearing about how you do on your ride so I'll have a bit more confidence for mine. How far have you gone so far? are you riding every day? and any thing else you can give me hints with would be so very welcome

1 - 18 of 18 Posts