Liquids vs. Solids

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by Comko, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Comko

Comko Guest

Does a liquid drink provide the same calories, carbs, sodium etc. as a solid food/sports bar, etc? Does it matter which I intake? I ask because I am a sweater and I have to drink a lot of water/sports drinks, so if I can get the same replenishment from the drinks, can I fore go a lot of the solids?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

They can, but I would not try to supply all of my hydration and food needs with one drink. How you take in water and food is really going to depend on what kind of riding you are doing; How long is the ride; How hot is it; How your body reacts to different foods and drinks, and probably other factors too.

I also sweat A LOT! If I'm just doing a short ride, say 1-2 hours, I only drink water w/electrolytes. That short a ride does not usually require me to take in any food. I carry gel and/or a Cliff bar and use them as needed, but generally on short rides, I don't need them.

For long rides and races, in addition to the above, I will also carry a water bottle full of some kind of sports drink which contains carbs and protein. For really long rides/races you're gonna need some real food. For instance, I did a 100 mile mtn bike race a few years ago. I rode with a 3 liter Camelbak filled with a water/electrolyte mix. I carried a water bottle full of HEED and ate PB&J sandwiches, bananas, potato chips, cookies etc. along the way.

Hydration and nutrition is a very personal thing. What works for me, may or may not work for you. There is a lot of trial and error. Try different things and over time, you will figure out what works for you.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Great advice from Hophead! I'll just throw out that I agree with his post. As far as what I have found that I really like and what works best for me, Accelerade Orange is my favorite in ride drink and I like Endurox for recovery.

4. hophead

I like Dogfish Head 75 minute IPA for recovery.:)

5. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

For sure! That is a case where it's all right to get all the calories you need from liquid.

6. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

I've only had the 120 minute, that stuff is a bit too strong for a recovery drink.

7. hophead

Yeah, the 120 is 20% ABV. That's a stiff recovery drink! I did drink a 120 right after this race...
    [​IMG]

8. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Guest

GREAT outfits, great picture, hophead!! Which one are you?

9. hophead

I am Spiderman.

10. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

You look left out w/o the muscle suit like your 2 amigos.

11. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

What Superhero is the left guy supposed to be?

12. hophead

Haha! Do you have any idea how much it sucked riding in those things? I was sooooooooo happy that I had a non-muscle-suite. I could barely stand it as it was. Those two were dying!
    That would be Mr. Incredible. Oh btw, this was a halloween race. We don't generally wear this crap while racing. That was Mr. I's first xc race and he freakin' won the ss class!