Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! So I needed a wheel true and I wanted to get my girlfriends bike a good once over before she took it for her first ride. Called around to a few shops, wait was going to be about 5 days. I called one more shop, I bought my bike from him, stop in for misc things and talk with the guy. He says to bring my wheels and the brand new bike to him. I drop it off on a Thursday and asked for a quote. He says "Wheel trues are $15 a wheel, tune up the new bike for $50" I bought a bottle cage and toe clips for the new bike. I said okay so around 80-100 bucks. " yeah around there" He says everything will be done by Saturday.
I called Saturday, "No, not ready". Monday "should be done today". I finally picked them up on Tuesday. For $173. I was pissed. He said the forks were bent on the brand new bike and he had to straighten them. I took the bike home to find that the wheel locks on the bike were not tight, it looks as if they oiled the chain and held the bike for days. What do you guys/gals think?

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Hey all! So I needed a wheel true and I wanted to get my girlfriends bike a good once over before she took it for her first ride. Called around to a few shops, wait was going to be about 5 days. I called one more shop, I bought my bike from him, stop in for misc things and talk with the guy. He says to bring my wheels and the brand new bike to him. I drop it off on a Thursday and asked for a quote. He says "Wheel trues are $15 a wheel, tune up the new bike for $50" I bought a bottle cage and toe clips for the new bike. I said okay so around 80-100 bucks. " yeah around there" He says everything will be done by Saturday.
I called Saturday, "No, not ready". Monday "should be done today". I finally picked them up on Tuesday. For $173. I was pissed. He said the forks were bent on the brand new bike and he had to straighten them. I took the bike home to find that the wheel locks on the bike were not tight, it looks as if they oiled the chain and held the bike for days. What do you guys/gals think?
Not sure where to start... The shop I use has a 2 week back log this time of year so I'd say the fact you got it done that fast is a HUGE plus.

Did they true the wheel or was the fork the issue or did they do both? If it was a brand new bike I would think the forks would be covered by warranty unless there was obvious damage. I'm not good about warranties so I could be completely wrong on that.

Did you not take it back where you got the bike as I'm sure most shops do free tune ups for a year.

Did you have shifting, brake or any other issues that deemed a tune up on a brand new bike?

I'd say loose skewers was an obvious oversight that could have been dangerous

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Wtf? Tuneup on new bike should be free, if you bought it from them. That's pretty much standard. The shop I worked at offers lifetime free service if you bring your bike back for it's initial adjustments after the new cables stretch. Another local shop won't honor your warranty unless you bring it back within 90 days of purchase for a free tuneup.

You also should have gotten a written estimate, and it should have stated whether you authorize additional work. At the very least, the shop should have called you, but if you got nothing in writing, you're kinda screwed.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
This being the peak of the get the bike out of the garage and back on the road season the turn around was good.
The LBS I deal with greats you at the door when bringing bikes in for service. They take down your information and log into the computer along with your service request information. They print out a reciept with the quote for price and pick up date. Their policy is they call if any work is needed above the original qoutation. If they can not reach you they do not work on your bike. The flip side of this policy is they have had a few customers show up to pick up bikes which have not been worked on. Legally I would assume that this is the right policy verse what your bike shop did.
What I find really odd is that you called them yourself a few times and nothing was even mentioned in those conversations. There again if you only had a verbal quote you have a he said she said agreement at best. I am sure it is difficult to keep track of hundreds of repairs without writing things down. very easy to lose track of whats going on.
If you have picked up your bikes and paid for these services the only thing you can do is no longer patronize that shop.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
All the bike shops I've ever gone to do not charge for adjustments. The shop I got my Colnago from has lifetime adjustments and a service price guarantee. One of the owners rides at the same MUP that I ride at and will even make adjustments at the MUP if I need one. If the shop quoted you one price and did other work without notifying you and charged you more than the quoted price, it's time for a new shop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To clarify, I think I was in a typing rage when I posted this. I didn't buy the brand new bike from them, it was ordered online for my girlfriend. This is the shop I bought a few months back. My wheels need true, as did her brand new wheels. I didn't mind paying for adjustments to cables and all that since I didn't buy her bike there. I did request both sets of wheels to be true, hers are still all over the place. Everytime I go there he is changing things around. I feel like I got kicked in the nuts on this one.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My only issue with your shop is that they did additional work without calling you first. $100 could have been all the money you had to spend. My shop always gives a written estimate and calls if they uncover additional issues.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Time to find a different shop, My shop does lifetime adjustments if you bought the bike there.They also make appointments and guarantee 24 hr turn around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've promised myself to never go back there. I'll be visiting another shop more frequently now. I just wasn't sure if this was how business is normally conducted. I previously worked in auto repair as a sales advisor, this would never fly in our shop. Bummer that I got robbed. Lesson learned.
Now off to ride before I go racing on the motorbike this weekend!

·
Registered
330 Posts

It is possible the fork was bent if this was a Bikes Direct bike, or something similar. If so, he should have told you and you could have contacted the seller to request warranty service. If he is just talking about the fork ends being bent... well, I would have just straightened them, told you about it, but not charged you.

I give myself a $20 buffer zone. If a bike needs something, and it's $20 or less, I do it. If the customer doesn't want to pay for it, I write it off. That hasn't happened yet. Most customers are fine with $20 for unforeseen repairs. Anything over $20, and I call the customer for authorization.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems almost malicious that he did not.
That is how I feel. He had my phone number that is what makes me so upset. It was a bikes direct bike :/ For a cheap bike it rides really nice, not too heavy and she does great on it. Just need to buy her some new handlebars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts