Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after some research on the correct way to lock your bike,I have decided this setup should be enough to keep my baby from getting stolen.It is gonna be a bit hard to carry these without my rear rack/trunk attached and a bit of weight overall,but well worth it I think...

What do you guys use,and do you use with a bike that has little to no "storage"such as panniers or a trunk?
Here is a video I stumbled across that explained a lot on how to lock,but not how to carry everything.
Bicycle locking 201 by Hal and Kerri | CrankMyChain! on blip.tv

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Was wonder the other day what everyone did to lock their bike while out on a ride and stop for lunch or just to go into a store for a bottle of water.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well supposedly you need 2 different locks,for several reasons.
1-Is so you can lock the frame w/1lock and the wheels/saddle with the other.
2-Is because a thief typically will only be carrying one tool and it takes one type of tool to cut a chain/u-lock,and another type to cut a steel cable.
3-Is the more you things have to break through,even if the thief can do it,the more likely he will just move on to a easier target.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
If they want your bike, they will get it. If it's unattended, it's a target.

#3 in the post above is correct. When you and a friend are in the woods getting chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, only faster than your friend. Your bike lock doesn't necessarily need to be the greatest lock ever, just better than what's on the bike next to yours.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they want your bike, they will get it. If it's unattended, it's a target.

#3 in the post above is correct. When you and a friend are in the woods getting chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, only faster than your friend. Your bike lock doesn't necessarily need to be the greatest lock ever, just better than what's on the bike next to yours.
Exactly,and thats what I am slowly admitting to myself,but again I live in low crime area so Im just going for adaquate protection,and the look of "too hard to get".
I seen a review for the NYFU U-lock and the guy was basically saying it was near impossible to break...And another poster linked an article to where a NYFU lock was busted in 20sec using a bottle jack :(

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK,I googled it and see how it works...although they all seem to be in portuguese?I think,so maybe its not so popular here.Does look like a good lock though,wish I could find some good in depthe reviews.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well after some research on the correct way to lock your bike,I have decided this setup should be enough to keep my baby from getting stolen.It is gonna be a bit hard to carry these without my rear rack/trunk attached and a bit of weight overall,but well worth it I think...

What do you guys use,and do you use with a bike that has little to no "storage"such as panniers or a trunk?
Here is a video I stumbled across that explained a lot on how to lock,but not how to carry everything.
Bicycle locking 201 by Hal and Kerri | CrankMyChain! on blip.tv
Like you, I also carry two locks. A U-bolt and a cable lock, together weighing about 4lbs. On my Seek 2 I employ a Sunlite Pak Rack, and the matching Pak Rack top bag. I also employ a set of Sunlite pannier bags. I carry the locks in the top bag. The only "problem" that I have with this setup is that my U-bolt is too long with it's locking mechanism locked in place to fit in the top bag. So I have to leave it off, but "locked" and then it all fits in the very bottom of the bag. This bag also has a "hard" plastic shell at the very bottom. It has a small zippered pocket that I carry things that I do not want to loose if I have to flip the bike over while on the road. It also has a liner that unzips for cleaning or what have you.

The cable lock I'm able to coil up and set on top of the U-bolt lock.

A couple of things that I am thinking of doing is to get some sort of food storage container to "line" the top bag with, as well as storage containers for the locks. And move the locks from the top bag to one lock in each pannier bag.

How are you locking your bike when you get to your destination? Generally speaking the most popular way seems to be to use the U-bolt to secure the bike to some sort of post, and than to use the cable to secure the wheels (particularly for those whose wheels have quick release skewers) with the cable lock. I can tell you that this has worked for me. As I have been at the local library when other bikes have been stolen, but mine has remained untouched. I also use a Topeak bike cover after I've locked the bike up.

I've also have heard it recommended that if there is some place that one goes to on a regular bases to purchase a U-bolt lock and leave it locked to the rack. And just carry the cable lock. Along with this I've also heard that one could get several U-bolt locks and have them keyed to the same key and than one could leave at the places that one is most likely to visit.

The downside with this approach is that if a thief get's a hold of one key you're screwed.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,569 Posts
I use this one. It's pretty heavy, mounts under my seat, is long enough to get through both wheels and frame and has a key (as opposed to combo I am sure to forget).

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like you, I also carry two locks. A U-bolt and a cable lock, together weighing about 4lbs. On my Seek 2 I employ a Sunlite Pak Rack, and the matching Pak Rack top bag. I also employ a set of Sunlite pannier bags. I carry the locks in the top bag. The only "problem" that I have with this setup is that my U-bolt is too long with it's locking mechanism locked in place to fit in the top bag. So I have to leave it off, but "locked" and then it all fits in the very bottom of the bag. This bag also has a "hard" plastic shell at the very bottom. It has a small zippered pocket that I carry things that I do not want to loose if I have to flip the bike over while on the road. It also has a liner that unzips for cleaning or what have you.

The cable lock I'm able to coil up and set on top of the U-bolt lock.

A couple of things that I am thinking of doing is to get some sort of food storage container to "line" the top bag with, as well as storage containers for the locks. And move the locks from the top bag to one lock in each pannier bag.

How are you locking your bike when you get to your destination? Generally speaking the most popular way seems to be to use the U-bolt to secure the bike to some sort of post, and than to use the cable to secure the wheels (particularly for those whose wheels have quick release skewers) with the cable lock. I can tell you that this has worked for me. As I have been at the local library when other bikes have been stolen, but mine has remained untouched. I also use a Topeak bike cover after I've locked the bike up.

I've also have heard it recommended that if there is some place that one goes to on a regular bases to purchase a U-bolt lock and leave it locked to the rack. And just carry the cable lock. Along with this I've also heard that one could get several U-bolt locks and have them keyed to the same key and than one could leave at the places that one is most likely to visit.

The downside with this approach is that if a thief get's a hold of one key you're screwed.
Nice write up,thanks.Wanted to point out it is actually a little more secure to run the u-lock through the back wheel,to the post,or bike rack

You dont even have to run it through the frame,as the back wheel cant come off and the frame,back wheel is secure in one "swoop".
Then the cable can go through the front wheel,and the seat.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use this one. It's pretty heavy, mounts under my seat, is long enough to get through both wheels and frame and has a key (as opposed to combo I am sure to forget).

Well Nigal,I have a cable to secure my seat and front wheel,but no way I would use it by it self,especially if going in somewhere for more than a few minutes,they are just too easily cut.Might wanna invest in a decent u lock for the frame itself,if you go to wally-world,(As I did) you can find them for less than $20,or on clearance from time to time.I found mine on clearance for $10 :)

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,569 Posts
Meh, it does the job and while I do know it can happen even in my Mayberry-like town I'm not too worried about it.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE=Nigal;50803]Meh, it does the job and while I do know it can happen even in my Mayberry-like town I'm not too worried about it.[/QUOTE]

Haha,I live about an hour from mayberry,the REAL mayberry....Wonder if Andy ever arrested a bike thief?
But seriously,I hate to even secure my seat/wheel with a cable because it litelly takes 2 seconds to snip...Guess it boils down to if someone really wants it,they will get it,even with a good chain or lock.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFaLmVqQibo]YouTube - ‪Abus Steel o flex cable lock getting chopped.‬‏[/ame]

·
Registered
313 Posts
Nice write up,thanks.Wanted to point out it is actually a little more secure to run the u-lock through the back wheel,to the post,or bike rack

You don't even have to run it through the frame,as the back wheel cant come off and the frame,back wheel is secure in one "swoop".
Then the cable can go through the front wheel,and the seat.
TC,

I agree, if one can do so that putting the U-bolt lock around both the frame and rear wheel is the best choice. But for some reason it seems like most of the places that I go to there just isn't enough room to lock the wheel & frame to a post.

As an example: the library that I go to most often has what I call an upside down exclamation point. [ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=north+branch+library,+9th+st.+n.,+st.+petersburg,+fl&hl=en&ll=27.835666,-82.646179&spn=0.000295,0.000431&sll=27.71472,-82.686045&sspn=0.006687,0.013797&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=27.835666,-82.646179&panoid=cO3HCGkwCnJ480kz6Lgqdg&cbp=12,48.18,,1,1.19]north branch library, 9th st. n., st. petersburg, fl - Google Maps[/ame]

What I do when I lock my bike to one of those is:

I take my U-bolt and as I said put it around the post and my frame. Than I take my cable and run it through both wheels and the loop on the top of the post. Finally I take my Topeak bike cover and put that over everything. I also remove my computer and lights, and frame pump, and top bag. The panniers (unless I'm shopping) I leave on the bike.

Also given how close my rear wheel sits to my seatpost tube there isn't enough room to run the U-bolt around both and the post that I am locking my bike to. So I run the U-bolt around the post that I am locking to and the frame. Then I take and run the cable around everything. I don't have to run the cable through my saddle as I already have it secured with it's own cable to my frame.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^I gotcha...So you leave a small cable secured to the seat all the time? Sounds like an idea...Maybe Ill take one of the lil small ones I have and keep it around the seat.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,569 Posts
^^^I gotcha...So you leave a small cable secured to the seat all the time? Sounds like an idea...Maybe Ill take one of the lil small ones I have and keep it around the seat.
In Hickory? Why? What kind of saddle do you have?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts