Two Spoke Forums banner

Lock your bike fool!!!!!!!!!

15K views 59 replies 14 participants last post by  nfroio1168 
#1 ·
Well after some research on the correct way to lock your bike,I have decided this setup should be enough to keep my baby from getting stolen.It is gonna be a bit hard to carry these without my rear rack/trunk attached and a bit of weight overall,but well worth it I think...

What do you guys use,and do you use with a bike that has little to no "storage"such as panniers or a trunk?
Here is a video I stumbled across that explained a lot on how to lock,but not how to carry everything.
Bicycle locking 201 by Hal and Kerri | CrankMyChain! on blip.tv

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Well supposedly you need 2 different locks,for several reasons.
1-Is so you can lock the frame w/1lock and the wheels/saddle with the other.
2-Is because a thief typically will only be carrying one tool and it takes one type of tool to cut a chain/u-lock,and another type to cut a steel cable.
3-Is the more you things have to break through,even if the thief can do it,the more likely he will just move on to a easier target.

#5 ·
If they want your bike, they will get it. If it's unattended, it's a target.

#3 in the post above is correct. When you and a friend are in the woods getting chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, only faster than your friend. Your bike lock doesn't necessarily need to be the greatest lock ever, just better than what's on the bike next to yours.

#6 ·
#7 ·
If they want your bike, they will get it. If it's unattended, it's a target.

#3 in the post above is correct. When you and a friend are in the woods getting chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, only faster than your friend. Your bike lock doesn't necessarily need to be the greatest lock ever, just better than what's on the bike next to yours.
Exactly,and thats what I am slowly admitting to myself,but again I live in low crime area so Im just going for adaquate protection,and the look of "too hard to get".
I seen a review for the NYFU U-lock and the guy was basically saying it was near impossible to break...And another poster linked an article to where a NYFU lock was busted in 20sec using a bottle jack :(

#12 ·
Like you, I also carry two locks. A U-bolt and a cable lock, together weighing about 4lbs. On my Seek 2 I employ a Sunlite Pak Rack, and the matching Pak Rack top bag. I also employ a set of Sunlite pannier bags. I carry the locks in the top bag. The only "problem" that I have with this setup is that my U-bolt is too long with it's locking mechanism locked in place to fit in the top bag. So I have to leave it off, but "locked" and then it all fits in the very bottom of the bag. This bag also has a "hard" plastic shell at the very bottom. It has a small zippered pocket that I carry things that I do not want to loose if I have to flip the bike over while on the road. It also has a liner that unzips for cleaning or what have you.

The cable lock I'm able to coil up and set on top of the U-bolt lock.

A couple of things that I am thinking of doing is to get some sort of food storage container to "line" the top bag with, as well as storage containers for the locks. And move the locks from the top bag to one lock in each pannier bag.

How are you locking your bike when you get to your destination? Generally speaking the most popular way seems to be to use the U-bolt to secure the bike to some sort of post, and than to use the cable to secure the wheels (particularly for those whose wheels have quick release skewers) with the cable lock. I can tell you that this has worked for me. As I have been at the local library when other bikes have been stolen, but mine has remained untouched. I also use a Topeak bike cover after I've locked the bike up.

I've also have heard it recommended that if there is some place that one goes to on a regular bases to purchase a U-bolt lock and leave it locked to the rack. And just carry the cable lock. Along with this I've also heard that one could get several U-bolt locks and have them keyed to the same key and than one could leave at the places that one is most likely to visit.

The downside with this approach is that if a thief get's a hold of one key you're screwed.

#13 ·
I use this one. It's pretty heavy, mounts under my seat, is long enough to get through both wheels and frame and has a key (as opposed to combo I am sure to forget).

#14 ·
Like you, I also carry two locks. A U-bolt and a cable lock, together weighing about 4lbs. On my Seek 2 I employ a Sunlite Pak Rack, and the matching Pak Rack top bag. I also employ a set of Sunlite pannier bags. I carry the locks in the top bag. The only "problem" that I have with this setup is that my U-bolt is too long with it's locking mechanism locked in place to fit in the top bag. So I have to leave it off, but "locked" and then it all fits in the very bottom of the bag. This bag also has a "hard" plastic shell at the very bottom. It has a small zippered pocket that I carry things that I do not want to loose if I have to flip the bike over while on the road. It also has a liner that unzips for cleaning or what have you.

The cable lock I'm able to coil up and set on top of the U-bolt lock.

A couple of things that I am thinking of doing is to get some sort of food storage container to "line" the top bag with, as well as storage containers for the locks. And move the locks from the top bag to one lock in each pannier bag.

How are you locking your bike when you get to your destination? Generally speaking the most popular way seems to be to use the U-bolt to secure the bike to some sort of post, and than to use the cable to secure the wheels (particularly for those whose wheels have quick release skewers) with the cable lock. I can tell you that this has worked for me. As I have been at the local library when other bikes have been stolen, but mine has remained untouched. I also use a Topeak bike cover after I've locked the bike up.

I've also have heard it recommended that if there is some place that one goes to on a regular bases to purchase a U-bolt lock and leave it locked to the rack. And just carry the cable lock. Along with this I've also heard that one could get several U-bolt locks and have them keyed to the same key and than one could leave at the places that one is most likely to visit.

The downside with this approach is that if a thief get's a hold of one key you're screwed.
Nice write up,thanks.Wanted to point out it is actually a little more secure to run the u-lock through the back wheel,to the post,or bike rack

You dont even have to run it through the frame,as the back wheel cant come off and the frame,back wheel is secure in one "swoop".
Then the cable can go through the front wheel,and the seat.

#15 ·
I use this one. It's pretty heavy, mounts under my seat, is long enough to get through both wheels and frame and has a key (as opposed to combo I am sure to forget).

Well Nigal,I have a cable to secure my seat and front wheel,but no way I would use it by it self,especially if going in somewhere for more than a few minutes,they are just too easily cut.Might wanna invest in a decent u lock for the frame itself,if you go to wally-world,(As I did) you can find them for less than $20,or on clearance from time to time.I found mine on clearance for $10 :)

#17 ·
QUOTE=Nigal;50803]Meh, it does the job and while I do know it can happen even in my Mayberry-like town I'm not too worried about it.[/QUOTE]

Haha,I live about an hour from mayberry,the REAL mayberry....Wonder if Andy ever arrested a bike thief?
But seriously,I hate to even secure my seat/wheel with a cable because it litelly takes 2 seconds to snip...Guess it boils down to if someone really wants it,they will get it,even with a good chain or lock.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFaLmVqQibo]YouTube - ‪Abus Steel o flex cable lock getting chopped.‬‏[/ame]

#18 · (Edited)
Nice write up,thanks.Wanted to point out it is actually a little more secure to run the u-lock through the back wheel,to the post,or bike rack

You don't even have to run it through the frame,as the back wheel cant come off and the frame,back wheel is secure in one "swoop".
Then the cable can go through the front wheel,and the seat.
TC,

I agree, if one can do so that putting the U-bolt lock around both the frame and rear wheel is the best choice. But for some reason it seems like most of the places that I go to there just isn't enough room to lock the wheel & frame to a post.

As an example: the library that I go to most often has what I call an upside down exclamation point. [ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=north+branch+library,+9th+st.+n.,+st.+petersburg,+fl&hl=en&ll=27.835666,-82.646179&spn=0.000295,0.000431&sll=27.71472,-82.686045&sspn=0.006687,0.013797&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=27.835666,-82.646179&panoid=cO3HCGkwCnJ480kz6Lgqdg&cbp=12,48.18,,1,1.19]north branch library, 9th st. n., st. petersburg, fl - Google Maps[/ame]

What I do when I lock my bike to one of those is:

I take my U-bolt and as I said put it around the post and my frame. Than I take my cable and run it through both wheels and the loop on the top of the post. Finally I take my Topeak bike cover and put that over everything. I also remove my computer and lights, and frame pump, and top bag. The panniers (unless I'm shopping) I leave on the bike.

Also given how close my rear wheel sits to my seatpost tube there isn't enough room to run the U-bolt around both and the post that I am locking my bike to. So I run the U-bolt around the post that I am locking to and the frame. Then I take and run the cable around everything. I don't have to run the cable through my saddle as I already have it secured with it's own cable to my frame.

#21 ·
Well I have been to the REAL Mayberry. Yes I ate lunch at Snappy's. Didn't have time to eat at Aunt Bea's or get a hair cut at Floyd's. Did go to Andy's office since I was parked right across the street and the only key to the car broke off in my lock. The got a lock smith for me to deal with it. Frankly if someone has the time, and tools to get a saddle off my bike to steal it, they are going to have the time and tools to get the entire bike.

Yes someone could snip a cable, and yes there are occasional people that carry around things such as bolt cutters to do that, but more often than not they are looking for something other than a bike. The ones that do you won't stop anyway. You may catch them after the fact but not stop them. Locking the bike makes good common sense, but I refuse to live in fear.

Hickory's race track still going?? I was there and it was a great little short track. Seem to remember at least a few guys named Jarrett that ran there once in a while. One raced on the beach, one seemed to have an ability to win some little race known as the Daytona 500, and three of them have found their way into a tv booth.

#23 ·
Well I have been to the REAL Mayberry. Yes I ate lunch at Snappy's. Didn't have time to eat at Aunt Bea's or get a hair cut at Floyd's. Did go to Andy's office since I was parked right across the street and the only key to the car broke off in my lock. The got a lock smith for me to deal with it. Frankly if someone has the time, and tools to get a saddle off my bike to steal it, they are going to have the time and tools to get the entire bike.

Yes someone could snip a cable, and yes there are occasional people that carry around things such as bolt cutters to do that, but more often than not they are looking for something other than a bike. The ones that do you won't stop anyway. You may catch them after the fact but not stop them. Locking the bike makes good common sense, but I refuse to live in fear.

Hickory's race track still going?? I was there and it was a great little short track. Seem to remember at least a few guys named Jarrett that ran there once in a while. One raced on the beach, one seemed to have an ability to win some little race known as the Daytona 500, and three of them have found their way into a tv booth.
Hickorys race track is still going strong,as is the racing tradition here in NC,however I personally could give 2 $hits about racing and nascar.Nothing against it I suppose,I just never got into racing but people here do seem to LOVE it.
Just wanted to give an update to anyone who cares to know.I stumbled upon a security chain at wally-world today,3feet of it for $14.95,and when I say securtiy,I mean just the chain,no lock or covering to protect the finish of the bike,but it is the same boron alloy,heat treated,nearly cut proof chain that kryptonite,abus,onguard,the bikeregistry chain,etc all use.
Some of these companies use a square link,some 6 sided and some just regular links,but all the same material.You can find this kind of chain online for 7.50 a foot,plus $10 flat rate shipping,but I believe Im gonna pick this chain up from walmart,a good disc lock and figure out how to get a decent covering for the chain.I have seen where some people use an old tire tube to cover the chain,which would work but I think I would want something a little nicer....anywho,15 for the chain,maybe 15 for a good lock and a few bucks for a covering and you have a VERY nice chain/lock for your bike :)

#25 ·
^^^I gotcha...So you leave a small cable secured to the seat all the time? Sounds like an idea...Maybe Ill take one of the lil small ones I have and keep it around the seat.
Yes, that is what I do. It's made by OnGuard. It has a loop on both ends like a lot of the cables that are sold with a U-bolt lock. You secure one end around the frame and remove the saddle from the rails and slide it over one of the rails. No need to remove it unless you need to replace the saddle.

#26 ·

Agreed, as my paternal Grandfather used to say, locks are only there to keep honest people honest.

It's my opinion that if a bike is stolen from say a schoolyard, library or park that it was taken by someone who was too lazy to walk home themselves. Or a junkie looking for something to pawn for a few bucks for their next fix.

As you've said the "pro's" are going to have the tools to get what they want, and we're not going to be able to stop them no matter what we do, short of locking it in some sort of "bombproof" locker. And even than it wouldn't surprise me if they could figure out how to get what was locked inside of it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.