Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How paranoid are you when it comes to leaving your bikes locked up in town/outside your work etc?

I generally use two bike locks if I plan to leave the bike for a long while. I have a thick, heavy duty one in my backpack at all times and a thin, light one wrapped around my seat post.
This was mainly due to having quick release wheels on my bike and this way I could put a lock around the front wheel, the frame and whatever I was locking up to and then do the same with the back wheel.
If I am only leaving the bike for a short time, such as running into a shop to quickly pick up something I will generally just use the small one I keep around the seat post.

I've never understood how so many people can feel safe just leaving there bike unlocked while they pop into a shop. All it takes is one second and your bike is long gone.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I use a mini U-lock which is less vulnerable to some prying methods of breaking than a standard size U-lock. I have replaced my quick release wheel skewers and seatpost clamps with non-QR units. I have a heavy cable and padlock securing my trailer to my bicycle. Sometimes I just lock wheel to frame, "lean and lock", such that it would be possible to pick up and walk away with my rig, but with a seven foot long trailer attached, not easy. I rarely leave my bike locked for long and only lean and lock for brief periods of time. I never lean and lock if I don't have my trailer in tow. The trailer is locked to the frame in a manner that allows me to ride with the lock fastened, so it stays locked to the frame until I get home.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
I've never understood how so many people can feel safe just leaving there bike unlocked while they pop into a shop. All it takes is one second and your bike is long gone.

What kinda bike are you riding sunny? I don't even own a lock. Unless I'm going into the rare 7-11,for more water, when I'm out riding I don't generally stop. Generally my bike is not out of eyesight. Unless it's an organized ride I very rarely ride outside of my area and have very little worry of theft where I live.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
rola, you should have a bike that you can use to run errands, and a lock. If everyone used a bike instead of a car for one errand a week, uh well I forget the figure, but it amounted to a lot of gas. I encourage you to integrate the bike into your life beyond it's recreational/fitness role. :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
I agree qm! Fortunately ( depending on how you look at it ) I home fleet for work and a quick stop on the way home usually meets my needs. I fill my personal truck once maybe twice a month! The flip side to that is that my work truck avg. is 6 mpg :(

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Bring your vehicle into a store seems wacky to me. Are you strutting your stuff in lycra shorts and waddling around on road cleats while parading your fixie up and down the grocery store aisles? Haha.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I agree qm! Fortunately ( depending on how you look at it ) I home fleet for work and a quick stop on the way home usually meets my needs. I fill my personal truck once maybe twice a month! The flip side to that is that my work truck avg. is 6 mpg :(
I see. I home fleet my work vehicle too and pick up groceries on the way home. :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Haha! With your fixie in the store. Not a pleasant image, but if the merchant tolerates it, who am I to find fault?

·
242 Posts
I lock my bikes at all times even at home I live in an apt complex with lots of kids and keep all 3 of my bikes chained to my porch when I go riding I normally stop at the tanning bed and one of the employees had her bike stolen while at work so I always chain there also and if I ride to wal mart oh yes gotta have a lock I don't want to tempt otherwise honest people :) my bikes are not expensive but they are what I have and don't want to lose them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Work in an corporate tower. I don't rank high enough to get an office - I'm out in the pods. But there IS an empty office (with a window and everything) so I put the bike in there (it rates higher than I do, it appears).

In the commute, I go by an Ace Hardware and occasinally I need to pop in for something. I'll bring the bike in and ask them if I can lean it against the door near the registers. After the first time or two, they got used to it and have no problems with it.

I do have a big D-lock but don't have space to carry it on the commute.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I guess I should have mentioned a shirt as well?
No, sorry about that "unpleasant image" snipe. I was just reacting, overreacting to the idea of bringing one's bike into stores on a regular basis, other than a bike shop. I have brought my bike into stores a few times when I forgot my lock, but I think if one uses his or her bicycle to run errands with any frequency, (s)he should have a lock. Then hands are free to push the shopping cart, etc.

A surprisingly large number of people who shop at the grocery store I most often visit arrive on bicycles. Many urban dwellers are discovering the convenience of bicycles. Some use BikeShare bikes, there is a BikeShare station in front of the store, and many ride their own bikes. If all the riders brought their bikes inside, it would be a bit crowded. Fortunately, the merchant has provided bike racks outside. There are usually a couple of Police bikes inside, close to the front door. I think I may have seen a customer's bike in there once, but the custom here is to lock up outside.

There is underground parking which I use when it's raining, but I haven't seen any other bikes down there.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I can't really picture someone grocery shopping with their bicycle, walking it through the store. If I am out riding, and want to go into a store, I bring my bike inside, and find a place to park it where no one is going to trip over it. No big deal.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
There is an awesome series of photos on the internet, I wish I knew the address, documenting the construction of a bike that could be easily converted from a bicycle to a shopping cart and vice versa. It was made from a bike with small wheels, a folding bike, I believe.

Hack, I encourage you to integrate the bike into your life beyond it's recreational/fitness role!

1 - 20 of 151 Posts