Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Over 50 and not '2' tired
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
26.2 miles of awesome fun-ness at the annual Long Beach Marathon, 10/9/11!

I rode it non-stop and *filmed while riding*, and still managed to finish in 2:12, which isn't bad considering I had no gears, and one LESS wheel than everyone else!

Took a while just to get past the start line due to thousands of cyclists bottle necking at the start. The crowds were great, and they sounded like a people at a rock concert, haha!

Here's the video, and I hope you enjoy. :thumbsup:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei8dMnXoKmc]Long Beach Marathon 2011 - on a 36er UNICYCLE! - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Pretty cool! They sounded like a people at a rock concert because you're a rock star! What kind of boom have you got that camera on?

·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Pretty cool! They sounded like a people at a rock concert because you're a rock star! What kind of boom have you got that camera on?
Haha, thanks. I made the boom and used handlebar foam to cover the handle, and also to make it fit the ABS tube holder, which was attached to the underside of my unicycle's touring handle. It was really easy to take out whenever I wanted to film, and it slipped right back into the holder after each use. Camera is the GoPro HD. here's a pic:

Few quick stats:
36" double walled alum.wheel,
"Nightrider" tire. (largest pneumatic production tire made.)
114mm Isis splined cranks
Wellgo MG-1 Mag pedals
Super long Union black stainless spokes w/brass nips & eyelets
Cateye strada wireless
Hope quick release seatpost clamp
7005 Aluminum frame with Magura bosses.
CrMo splined isis hub
T-handle touring

·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. I was wondering about the storage as well. So how many pedal rotations to ride that far? :D
About 560 revs per mile, so about 14,672 for the marathon. That pales in comparison to the number of revolutions I did when I rode my first uni-century last year! I completed 102 miles in one day, (11 hours) but of course, I needed to stop several times to stretch, grab a snack, refill my camelbak, use the bathroom, etc. That 102 miles equaled more than 57,000 pedal revolutions.
(Btw, I filmed that while riding as well!) :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Ah, I guessed it was over 13,000. 131 minutes at about what looked like at least 100rpm. I didn't time your spin but it looked fast. In fact you averaged over 110rpm, no coasting. That's a lot of spinning. Did it feel like your feet were still moving when you laid in your bed that night?

·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ah, I guessed it was over 13,000. 131 minutes at about what looked like at least 100rpm. I didn't time your spin but it looked fast. In fact you averaged over 110rpm, no coasting. That's a lot of spinning. Did it feel like your feet were still moving when you laid in your bed that night?
Haha, not really, since I've been riding 5-6 days per week for the last six years, (Mostly off road on my 24, 26 & 29er mountain unicycles) so I'm used to that.

As for the speed during the marathon, keep in mind that I had to slow down quite a bit for filming, which is why you don't see me at higher speed. My average while not holding the camera was around 13-14mph, and down to maybe 9-10mph while holding the camera. I could have probably finished in under 2 hours if I hadn't been filming, which took up 1/4 of ride time, and was spread out over the entire ride! :)

·
717 Posts
Great vid...now you've got me thinking of another bike purchase!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts