Long Distance Cycling Event

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by jamest, Aug 10, 2009.

1. jamest

jamest Guest

Hi Guys

I've signed up to Ride Across Britain, for those who don't know it's a ride from the most nothern part of Scotland down to the coast of Cornwall. I was just wondering if anyone's done a literal cross country and if they had any tips for something that long as I haven't personally ever done something this challenging!

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I've done some long distance riding. It really depends on the distance in terms of preparation. How many Kilometers is it?

3. Bikersalive

Bikersalive New Member

Britain LEJOG

I did the trip in May 09, 932 miles. Don't worry too much, it's not that difficult. If you are reasonably fit you should not have problems and after 2 or 3 days you'll be fit anyway.

Will you be assisted or carrying all your own bags? If the latter, keep it all as small and as light as possible! I stayed B&B which gives you the facilities off the bike that make a big difference, particularly if you encounter bad weather. I had rain for 10 days so needed to dry out after each day!

Check the CTC Blog for LEJOG (Lands End to John O'Groats), lots of help and advice from seasoned LEJOGers is posted.

I'm planning C2C this year. Only about 140miles but I'm trianing for a marathon run in September so will be using cycling as cross training!!

BTW, I'm 64!!

Best wishes Malc.

4. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Is this an organized/supported ride? It sounds pretty cool.

5. Bikersalive

Bikersalive New Member

No, not an organized event but I will seek sponsorship from family and friends for a deserving charity.

The ride will be over a recognised route that many hundreds of cyclists use each year. Runs from Newcastle in the north east of England to Newhaven which is north west coast. The tough bit is over the mountains of the Lake District. Will wait until May or June for reasonable weather!!

Regards

Malc

6. mikebike

mikebike Florida Cyclist

I have ridden across country before and our country is a "little bigger";)

My ride was 3,791 miles and took 50 days. crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: Miller Family Bike Ride, by Mike Miller

tips:
    make sure your bike fits you and you like the saddle
    get in plenty of saddle time prior to the route
    travel light
    do not get in a hurry --- enjoy the journey - no need to do too many miles per day.

enjoy