Looking for a helmet but...

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by kristo5747, Dec 29, 2010.

1. kristo5747

kristo5747 New Member

Greetings!

New guy here. I am looking for a helmet but the issue is with my melon. It's so big...it has its own gravity. And weather system.

My size is 8 3/8 (hat) or 66.5 cm or 25 3/8".

Giro and Bell are two of the manufacturers I looked at but they only go as high as 8 1/8.

I am willing to spend whatever cost necessary to protect my melon: do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Al.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. BobH

BobH New Member

Hey Al,

Please let me known when you find a supplier for big boy helmets. I need an 8 1/2. We may have to make our own.

BobH.

3. kristo5747

kristo5747 New Member

Boy, have I thought of doing exactly that!!

I do some mountaineering as well. I stopped counting the close calls where ice or rocks whizzed by my head.

If I could make myself a helmet for both cycling and mountaineering, I'd be set!!

Problem is that the wife will never let me use her kitchen to mix the chemicals, exopy and all the stuff...:D

4. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

The mistake you made is asking permission. Sometimes its easier to get forgiveness than permission. When it isn't though, its a bear

5. momule

momule New Member

Deal with the manufacturers directly. Just cause you got a big brain box doesnt mean that you have to suffer from a lack of big brain cases. Might be that you have a small brain in a big box and so you need a good helmet. Call the manufacurers and raise all kinds of hell if need be.

6. kristo5747

kristo5747 New Member

Got one!

I went to my local LBS yesterday afternoon.

A Bell Kinghead seems to work best for me: it is comfortable and fits snuggly without wobbling when I shake my head.

Problem is that I look like a real dork now.

Next step is to call my folks and curse both of them for giving me a huge melon. Sheesh.

7. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

hope your mom doesn't go all Jewish on you....

[accent]"14 hours I was in labor, trying to pass that pumpkin you call a head......."[/accent]

8. kristo5747

kristo5747 New Member

lol....she is not jewish but she would surely go for the guilt trip.

9. froze

froze Banned

With such a huge melon you must be a genius.

Wow, the only thing you can do is go from one LBS to another and try them on till you find one that will fit. I can't imagine your the only person in the world with that large of a melon thus there has to be someone who makes one.

I did some web searching for you and found helmets made by Trek called Intreval XL Sport; also the Bell Kinghead aka Triton; Bell Sequoia; Giro Atlas II, and the Vigor Royal. All five of these go up to 66mm, now I know you said 66.5 but you need to try them on to see of they fit because like most size related stuff they rarely run true. The Trek will run $65 no matter where you go because Trek price fixes their stuff. Some of these are on closeout sales right now on the internet, but if you buy on the internet make rear darn sure you can return it if it doesn't fig or you got a helmet you can't use. Best to try to find one in the store if possible, or see if the LBS can get one in for you to try without having to buy it if it doesn't fit.

Like I said some of these are sized max at even 65mm but there was one person who reported that they needed a 65 and the one they tried was a 65 but it was too big!?! Anyway that's why you need to try them on.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  10. momule

momule New Member

Dork???

The older I become the more I savor and grow into my natural dorkiness. Wearing a bike helmet with blue jeans and my chucks and homemade bike gloves even makes members of my local bike group stay away from me. The real fun is when I get to go somewhere with my kids... Enjoy !!!

11. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

I am going to have a hat made that says. "Just call me Fred"

12. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

Better Fred than Dead.

PS Since I'm a Fred too, I guess my bike must be called Wilma?

13. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

What you nead is a skatebord helmet. I seen one painted up like a watter melon ;) that should fit :D

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm a fred. It's cool.

15. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I feel like a Fred, Fred Flintstone :D

16. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Fred Flintstone would out run me any day, and I am way too old to care about cool. Fell off the cool train about a decade ago and you know its a good time in your life. You are still young enough to do most things you want to do, and old enough to not give a rats behind about what others think of you if you do them. (with in reason) Life is good

17. BobH

BobH New Member

Well folks, I finally got a new helmet. It's a Bell XLV Universal Extra Large. I had to remove some foam on both sides to make it a bit more comfy. It was $40 plus shipping. I will have to tweak it some more after I'm sure.

BobH.

18. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Actually Bob the helmet may tweak itself to your head. With just a little time the foam seems to mold to ones specific head if its close. Be VERY careful about removing foam. Removing foam is removing protection, even on the sides.

19. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member