Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by kjg48359, Dec 18, 2009.

1. kjg48359

kjg48359 Fuji Hero

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some thoughts on a really old, and I mean old bike (it's probably older than most of the forum members, no kidding!). [we won't go into my age then!]

I have an old Fuji Professional from the early 1980's that was one of those things that I kept thinking that I'd upgrade it and use it later. So I get a career going, and then married, and decide that I miss cycling, but I adapted to Mt. Biking (lost a few friends on the road, and in MI near Detroit, it's not very cycle friendly).

So a friend of mine has a son come down with leukemia and they start some triathlons and I'm thinking that it's time to consider the upgrades (things like brakes where the cables don't come up over the handlebar, and 700 c's instead of tubulars). But in talking with a bike shop, they're recommending there might be some hard core collectors who might want the bike as is.

So what would be the best thing to do? E-bay? Forums like this? Are there any specialty shops or swap meets? And how the heck would I figure out what it might be worth?

Like I said, this thing is now approaching 30 years old and still has it's original purple swede handle bar covering (not tape, it's sewn-on) and matching seat!

Thanks!

2. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

3. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Rather than do massive upgrades to wheels, gears and brakes, just get a new bike. The new stuff is light years better, and buying the whole bike will be cheaper in the long run. Limit parts-buying for the old bike to tune-up stuff like brake housing & cables, new brake pads, tires, etc.

4. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

5. kjg48359

kjg48359 Fuji Hero

wow, thanks "mootsguy" I will check it out. And I did find the "vintage" section, but I'll repost some pics here:

It's a 1982 "Fuji Professional" with suntour "superb" componetry (which at the time was considered lighter and better machined than Shimino if you can believe that).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Chuckroast

Chuckroast New Member

That's a nice ride. Suntour "Superbe" was an excellent component group. Look for a tubing decal on the seat tube, Columbus or Reynolds or Tange most likely. If it fits you, keep it and ride with pride.

7. Mootsguy

I'd second that opinion. That is an outstanding ride and should be enjoyed.

8. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Anything you change on that bike is only going to detract from its collector's value. The guys at Velobase can probably help determine the value too.

9. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Don't expect a lot.. Japanese bikes just don't have the collector following of Italian... add to that the fact that it's a large frame, that brings down the value. You might get more for the individual items if you break it down and sell them seperately on ebay. As has been said Superbe is top of the line and has a slight cult value if all the stuff is in ultra nice condition.

10. Mootsguy

Except among those who collect Japanese bicycles...:D

11. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Whether it's worth a lot or a little, it's beautiful the way it is. Keep it original!

12. kjg48359

kjg48359 Fuji Hero

(thanks for the advice: does it become something like breaking down a car into it's components? Honestly, I wouldn't have the heart to do that this old beauty: besides If you start to go that route, you end up with old geometry that really won't work with replacement parts [I'm even nervous about replacing the hubs as the rear spread is probably all different on today's new frames, especially if I decide to at least go 700c).

13. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Don't even consider upgrading it. Either sell it whole... in parts... or keep it and ride it on veteran's day. What you'll need is a new or at least newer bike if you want to ride with a club. Check ebay for complete bikes in your area... you can get a decent alu+carbon with 105 or Ultegra stuff 9 or 10sp, with usable wheels for really cheap.