Looking for an Indoor Trainer

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by jwp164, Dec 15, 2010.

1. jwp164

jwp164 New Member

I've been reading on the forum about indoor trainers that people are looking to get. I've even talked to the local bike shop about what they recommend. I am just looking for reviews and perhaps some recommendations from users.

I am looking at the Giant Cyclotron Auto II, Cyclops Fluid 2 and Kurt Kinetic Road Machine Fluid Trainer.

I've heard the Cyclops Fluid 2 has a tendency to leak, I am not looking for a magnetic trainer, the gentleman at the bike shop said they make it feel like you are pedaling through sand. Most of the reviews rate the Kurt Kinetic pretty high. Price is pretty insignificant, I want to get something nice.

I can find the Auto II around $210, the Cyclops Fluid 2 and Kurt Kinetic Fluid around $310. If the latter 2 are that much better I do not have a problem spending the extra $100 to get superior equipment.

2. gs46

gs46 Pedaling Old Man

I have a Giant Mag II and it works very well. I don't know about the "riding in sand" thing as it is very smooth and seems to me feels like a good road feel. I would rather have a fluid trainer as they are much quieter and do not have the whine the Mags do. But, as far as real road feel the Mag does very well. Spend the extra money for the much quieter fluid trainer but the feel I think is the same...my $.02 worth.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I have a Cyclops Fluid that I have had for about 10 years now. I've never had a problem with it leaking. However, it hasn't gotten much use the past few seasons, as I ride my rollers exclusively now. I can't compare the feel to any other trainers, but it is much quieter. It's very smooth, but at the higher gears and rpms, the resistance seems to go up exponentially and seemingly unrealistically.

I absolutely love my rollers, but they are pricey.