Looking for cyclists with knowledge of Santa Fe, New Mexico

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Chris516, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

I have been plotting my bike route, into the center of the city.:confused:

I have even communicated with the Sheriff for Santa Fe County and, the Police Chief for the City of Santa Fe. I am planning on moving to an area called Eldorado at Santa Fe, which is about 15mi., outside the center of the City of Santa Fe.:confused:

My problem is, going to/from Eldorado at Santa Fe to/from the center of the City of Santa Fe.:confused:

I have looked up the traffic laws for the State of New Mexico and, how heavily traveled the roads are.:D The Police Chief told me that, I can bike on US. 285, since there is a big shoulder, even though, the speed limit is 65mph.:eek: I was thinking instead, of going on Old Las Vegas Highway. But I was told, that OLVH is heavy n' fast, when it comes to the traffic.:eek:

Any advice would be appreciated.:confused:

My bike is a 2003 Specialized Allez Triple 24-Speed road bike with thin racing tires.

2. dovitsky

dovitsky New Member

Hey I have lived in Santa Fe for many years, and I work in a local bike shop; Santa Fe mountain sports. From what I have heard from other cyclists, taking I25 is a pretty common route. I prefer taking the rail trail which you can continue into the plaza area, or get of at rabbit road (near the sawmill and st. francis intersection. The rail trail does involve having a bike with a slightly more treaded tire. OLVH can be fairly dangerous road, especially knowing what happened over the summer.

The rail trail is the most direct, although it may take longer, it is definitely fun. And you can pick it up anywhere along the railroad in eldo.

3. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

What happened over the summer

I am guessing, the rail trail isn't good for thin racing tires, correct?

4. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

Did you mean, this accident Suspect's exam revealed no addiction - The Santa Fe New Mexican?

It says that it occurred at night.

5. dovitsky

dovitsky New Member

yes i did. Those were my friends, we saw it happen. No matter what, night or day, there is a very small shoulder on OLVH.

Yes, it would be challenging to ride the rail trail with road bike tires.

6. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

Well, I don't ride on the shoulder. I 'Take the lane'. I was involved in accident May 14, 2008(I remember the date because, it was two days before my birthday) on a two-lane blacktop out here in the Maryland suburbs, 20mi. outside of DC. Where, I was originally 'taking the lane' but, the car behind me wouldn't stop getting close to my back tire. I pulled over close to the curb so she could pass me. Instead of passing me, she stayed right next to me, all the way to the intersection. As we got closer to the intersection, she drifted closer to the curb. She got so close to the curb that, there was enough room for the car to make me crash onto the curb, without her crossing over the yellow line. Ever since that accident, I always 'take the lane'. I don't give motorists an inch. Her excuse to the cops was, she never saw me.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009